Petition: Stop Extradition, Fair UK Trial for Richard O'Dwyer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mkvenner, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

more details needed. What links to what films were available? What site did he own?

3. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

TVShack.net
    the film names are unspecified as are where they were linked to

he earned revenue through advertising in the same way google advertising on the side of the screen is done

It seems this is being done the same way through a 2003 act that was a knee-jerk reaction pushed through by US diplomacy in the wake of 911

4. Dr. Turtle

Dr. Turtle Member

NEVER! I like my retarded country, it makes everyday feel new and exciting.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah that Extradition crap is crap and should be scrapped. It's a real threat to those of us who expect justice in British courts rather than a stupid set of laws that we're unfamiliar with. At least the stupid uk laws, you know where you stand - and you're addressing people who'll be on the same wavelength, to an extent.

Usually i'm all for multiculturalism, but until we have a universal justice system i'm going to have to be against this.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Don't worry, I'm against this too. From an logical point of view, there's no sense in trying a foreigner for crimes that took place outside of the country he's being tried in that didn't directly affect said country.

More (or less, depending on your viewpoint) importantly, why the hell are we spending tax dollars to try foreigners? It's like a treaty to outsource justice because it's cheaper for another country's judicial system to do it.

8. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I'm against it too but don't pretend like the UK is any better than America.

9. Trickster

I certainly trust our courts more.

10. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Politicians like Nick Griffin are better than US politicians.

11. Trickster

I don't think I'd go that far, but there's a reason that one of the very few things the UK actually has to offer to the world, is a good legal system. Take for example the current case between Roman Abramovich and Boris Berezovsky. That, among many other high-end cases, happens in the UK because it's pretty renound for being decent enough. Obviously you get those those cases with ridiculous outcomes that make the news, but one of the few things we actually do right is court.

12. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Netherlands is Best.

Singapore is Best for some people. Not me though.

13. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

You don't have a great legal system. It's decent for the people getting trialed but... Is it achieving it's goal? Not really not more then your average industrialized country. In holland they are closing prisons. In the U.S and U.K not the case.

14. Trickster

Maybe I did put that across badly. I think we have a fair judicial system in which the outcome is usually the right one. Whether the sentence that follows it is necessarily fair is another matter, but the actual verdict of how shit goes down, is why we have so many high profile "legal tourists" coming to use our system to settle their problems.

Without a doubt Holland and most Scandinavian countries are dealing with crime better, as well as the prison population, but that's because we're fucking shit at that.

Having said all of this, I just lost all faith in our judicial system after reading something. A woman just got a 6 month sentence for googling the defendant in a case she was a juror on. She informed the rest of the jury that the guy had a previous rape conviction, and once this came to light that she'd told them, the case collapsed (he had to be retried, and was found guilty in that) and she then got arrested. I understand that she shouldn't do that shit, but 6 months? I could run someone over and permanently disable them, and get a lower sentence than that, if not a community sentence.

But it's still not as poor as the US system.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's why I said the stupid UK laws.

But on a side note, yeah, I do think the UK is better than America. Why? The NHS. Sure it's arguably shitty quality, but people don't die just because they can't pay.

You guys put a price on life that too many of your citizens can't pay.

16. Trickster

For years I've supported having the NHS as being the one thing that sets us apart. But given that they've now managed to kill 3 relatively healthy family members off with stupid mistakes, I'm slowly but surely losing faith.

US healthcare quality is better, but obviously they have the whole shit with medical insurance which is a joke. On the other hand, my family aren't in the 10% or so that can't afford medical insurance (I think 10% is right?), so we'd receive better healthcare. Normally I'm all "fuck the peasants it's natural selection" but idk, it's a grey area for me personally. The NHS is good in principle, and it does shit wonderfully a lot of the time, but we've had really bad luck with it.

They forgot to give my Grandad his antibiotics for about 4-5 days whilst he was in hospital, until he died of some pretty average problem.
    They punctured my Grandma's lung whilst doing a straight forward biopsy on a tumour. Untouched, she'd have had years left, but after that she went from being pretty much 90% healthy except for a cough, to dead, in the space of a month.
    And finally, to top it all, they managed to kill off my sister by fucking up a back surgery, putting her in agony and constantly putting off the operation to fix their fuck up, giving her oral morphine in the meantime, combined with other medications. They didn't react well, she snuffed it.

I accept accidents happen, but even as long ago as when I split the back of my head open, they managed to fuck up stitching that up. A family friend who was a private doctor had to fix their mess. I will throw it out there that 2 hospitals were named as being in a dire state in the UK, one of which happens to be my local hospital, but this shit goes back over years and years.

So do you let the 10% who can't afford medical insurance snuff it, and let the 90% get top notch care, or do you let 90% get average-subaverage care, with the 10% who can afford private getting top notch care (and even then struggling when the British Medicine Council won't license drugs so the NHS aren't forced into buying them).

I'm not sure which way it could go, and I'm also a big advocate of not judging shit off personal experience, because 9/10 times that gives you a one-sided opinion. Not to mention that, because it's run by the government, the NHS gets a lot of press, be it good or bad. I personally think some level of middle ground could be found between the US and UK system, which has medical insurance paid for by your work company (non-optional), with those unemployed getting it taken care of by the government. But how this could be done without it being insanely expensive, IDK. Then again, I don't know the average costs of US medical insurance per month/year.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Jeeze, sorry to hear your family got hit hard by bad luck and medical incompetence

18. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I just meant the politics on both sides, I wish we had an NHS.

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

yeay for belgian political system where you can be sentenced for life ( 30 years over here) and get out in 12 years!

doing court shit and all sometime takes 4-6 years + they might want to have a retrial = + 1-2 years, and if you stay in custody those 5-8 years, you get a sentence reduction for the time you stayed in custody times 2, and after that you can get 2-3 years reduc for good behavior. Shit system it is

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

4-6 years of your life is quite a long time tho, especially if you have to spend it in a prison.