People underestimate the mg upgrades

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazydog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

i think one of my favorite weapons to use is the explosive tipped bullets or any other upgraded mg.

people tend to overlook these as weak, but they have such a huge advantage over many of the other weapons:

-they are easy to aim on the fly
    this is great for beginners to use, just tell them to keep their apcs/tanks moving and keep their crosshairs on the enemy tanks while firing. while missile and cannons you have to account for your speed, mg's are instant

-they are easy to snipe from afar
    snipe enemy vehicles of course. when the enemy vehicles are a long way off, just put your crosshairs over them and pull the trigger, you can do quite a bit of damage before they get into their own cannon range. and if they are using missiles, it's easy to move out of the way from a long distance.

-they make apcs lethal early game
    one thing that's always awesome is to see a tank running up thinking it's got an easy kill then you just open fire and they have no idea what's hitting them. since your apc is in the back (you didn't drive it up into the front lines where it'll be instantly rocketed to death did you?) it can support your troops against vehicles from afar.
    and plus it's always great to see tanks utterly confused as to why they are taking damage from a mg.
    even better to see an enemy apc try to open fire with a regular mg against you, thinking they are doing just as much damage against you as you are to them.

-they generate low heat
    which means you don't need to spend more money on the more expensive engines. (although if you can control a three phase electric, that will be amazing with your new explosive mg equipped apc)

-they complient the other weapons on the tanks
    missiles reloading? cannons about to overheat your tank? fire a few rounds from your mg. if you got plasma bullets you can even over heat the enemy. they make great companions with the other weapons

anyone else share my feelings for the heavy duty mg's? (heavy .50 cal, explosive bullets, bio mg, depleted uranium, plasma bullets)

2. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I see Depleted Uranium MG's fairly often when there are commanders who know what they are doing.

3. Bademeister

Bademeister Member

Yeah, they got quite a bit better in the last patch - same DPS, but slower RoF AND bigger mag.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Actually the real DPS is higher because the old speed was too fast and some hits weren't registering.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

.50 cal is a great weapon ,even for tanks , but its researched rarely
    bio.. its good against lts and afvs in early game and they are in biology , but bio weapon research cost 1100 so it makes it a fail weapon , because enemy can get he mediums faster than you
    DU.. i used it on apc few times (becasue com said hes going to research so unusefull stuff, and it wasn't a serious match) and thats just useless on mid range , only at close but then u can get killed by some grens , becasue u have no really effective anti-inf
    plasma.. imo most worthless , its bad against inf , and overheating is mostly a fail tactic ,because most coms make bios and coolants , and plasma weapons are not good agains them , and do minor damage to tanks
    he mg is a good weapon , and its in chemistry , it has a good accuracy , make good damage agains early tanks , but they are very hard to use against inf

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i've never found DU MG very good, i mean recently after the patch. I remember shooting tanks for 30 - 60 seconds before they die. snore...

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I remember playing 1.08 and shooting Lobster with a HDUMG. He would lose lots of health then quickly gain it back. Pretty random bug, but fun times.

8. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

The enemy gets HE at the exact same time you get Bio ML.
    If the enemy goes for bio LT's first, Bio ML will do a great deal of damage.

Ofcourse, it depends on the speed of the commander.

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

People also seem to underestimate the standard MG too. They always go for chaingun but the standard is much more accurate :)

10. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Chain gun has a much higher rate of fire, which is why most people prefer it.

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

yea but it's accuracy is awful. You can practically snipe people with the standard MG and it weighs so little that you can fit it on the light tank/AFV alone with cannon + missile and full armour :)

12. taikuodo

taikuodo Member

HE MG is good for taking out armor.
    On flat tank battles, i have found that HE MG can eat through composite or any other kind of armour, and I will finish off with dual railguns in a matter of a few seconds. (These of course, are noobs, and they don't rotate to show new armour).

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

dee is right, the accuracy on standard MG is just awesome.

14. holylucifer

holylucifer Member

the .50 cal weapon hopefully will be more popular in maps which has towns in them.

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=4667

i would be pissed if both went regen , i am like come on make this a little bit more interesting.

Anyways physics for close maps where you can't move so much is a nice match against bio/chem.

15. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

DUMGs arent designed to be primary weapons, they are there to compliment the primary weapons. It's hard to kill anything with a DUMG, but a tank with any sort of canon and/or missile with a DUMG can do damage at any range. The primaries to do the heavy damage, the DUMG to fill the gaps between the refires, and it's good for destroying hulls, especially from long ranges.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've been considering changing my first research area to physics, just so that I can get projectile physics and then upgraded MGs, as you get two quite devastating weapons which work on the APCs, and therefore don't require you to upgrade your chassis to use them.

The only worry I have is that people might not be comfortable with reflective armour, despite it being one of my favourites. Fission engines might also get a poor reception, but they dissipate heat very well and have incredible power.

I mean physics carries a lot of very good stuff in it, it's just I don't know whether I could persuade people to use them and not whine about it.

It depends, 3 standard MGs on an apc is quite good, but I find the chaingun to be more effective if you're pressed for space, it's better than the MG up close, but useless at range.

I usually use the chainguns because I find them much easier to use, unless I'm going to be engaging enemies at long range, in which case I either use the MG, or bug the commander for 50 cals.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  17. Bademeister

Bademeister Member

I would always support my comm if he gets DUMG and .50 and Fission, just Reflective is a bit of a problem. With a skilled team, it's a nice armor, but with people who don't react fast enough or just don't want to use Fissions fast accleration to get a better angle, it is quite sucky armor.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think reflective works best on heavies, where you have a lot of area exposed. You just park at 45 degrees to your target, and then shoot at it.

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I always love a commander who goes Physics first. Mixes things up, shows he isnt there just to yell at us, and im a total Physics whore.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Simon wiped my team out today using DPUMGs and APCs.

By rights he shouldn't have been able to, because my team had reactive and 3phase lights, but nobody was buying them, and his team rushed my CV.

It does show they are effective though.

I researched the same tree two or three games earlier, but people didn't use the MGs, and the enemy were using tanks of their own.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008