PC - TV problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zealoth, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

It worked fine before, but now when i tried to connect it to my PC, it doesn't get recognised, sometimes it gets recognised, but it's non Plug and Play display, so its kinda useless to play on monochromatic, 20Hz interlined 1024*786res D;

Any ideas? Please don't post if you dont have anything useful to say

I personally think it's an issue with TV, but here you go:

GF8800GT, Vista 64, uptodate drivers

PC -> 7 pin SVIDEO -> component cable (red, blu, green) -> TV

Resolutions are limited to SD (old tv broadcasting), i used to work it in 1920*something

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'd reinstall drivers; something might've gotten corrupted. Check the cable for fraying. Try a restore point.

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

there won't be much useful to say, since you don't give much info on it.

how are they connected? what graphics carp? OS? which DVI-socket? composite/svhs?

4. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

edited ze post

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Does the TV have HDMI? If so, try a DVI-HDMI connector (HDMI is a subset of DVI)...otherwise, it's likely the TV malfunctioning. I've got an LCD right now that recently started to show as only a non-pnp display...it's DVI was always flakey, but it's going downhill and needs to be replaced. Could always try drivers as someone suggested.

Lastly, it's not a 7pin S-Video connector. It's a breakout connector. :)

6. w00kie

I've been using a 7 pin SVIDEO --> SCART Cable for years on a GF5700 and GF7600 GT and had similar problems:

1) whenever I installed most up to date Nvidia drivers the software switch SVIDEO/Component was buged. Could only solve that by trying out older driver releases.

2) Sometimes the cable itself was behaving as if there was a cable breakage somewhere. lastly found out that there was a very tiny piece of dust in the graphic Cards connector.

All in all your dealing with a sadly unstable analog connection between TV and graphics card and there can be loads of things that can cause that shit to not function in the right mode.

So you either end up spending more hours trying to make it work and curse Nvidia or get a new TV with HDMI (which will bring other funny problems).

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Never had a problem with HDMI. theres also a HDMI to DVI connector incase your TV does have HDMI but your graphics card doesn't.

8. w00kie

well, It took me 2 hours until I had forced my TV to only use 1920x1080x32@60hz without it jumping to some strange other resolutions.
    Did you know that a gtx260 handles its two DVI-D connectors differently?

9. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

wasn't you supposed to use DVI-I?

Btw, the TV worked fine, i could choose any resolution now it fails.

10. dizzyone

I run dual monitors on a gtx260, the only thing I notice is that it boots from my "secondary" monitor until windows is loaded, other than that, no I didn't.
    But the resolution jumping sounds like a software problem on your pc, not necessarily the cable, but I'm not an expert on this subject ;o.

I've used the DVI to HDMI adapter to connect my pc from my gtx260 to my TV, and it worked absolutely fine, it also has no problems in remembering my monitor setup when I plug in the HDMI cable. The only thing that I doubt works, which I haven't tested, is whether the sound works with the hdmi cable from my gfx, as the only HDMI sound output I have is a realtek one, so I'm guessing I have some kind of other output on my mobo for HDMI, but tbh I haven't spent that long looking at the back of my pc, and I couldn't care less.

11. w00kie

well the only things I had to do to make everything finally work from the second I boot up, was switching the two DVI-cables, so it inits the right device first. Added a custom resolution for the TV, so it stops jumping to 16bit mode. For sound to work over DVI/HDMI I had to plug in a tiny cable. that connnected the realtek HD onboard soundchip with the gtx260. Then just opened the Realtek audio manager and right clicked on digital output to make it the standard device.

Put none of that has anything to do with zealoth's problem :D

have u tried using a different SD TV?

12. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

don't have one ;P
    and i didnt connect sound to TV, ive got analog ampli, which is like 100x better lol

13. dizzyone

Aah yeh thats right, completely forgot (bought the pc 2 years ago). Thanks for reminding me.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

That you don't use the TV speakers is usually a good thing. That it's analog, unless you mean you have a tube amp, it not really "good". I mean, all audio amps are analog at SOME point since sound is analog...but having a separate DAC is FAR better. Realtek audio stuff has the shittiest SNR due to crosstalk from the traces on the motherboard, and usually has shitty OpAmps in it's DAC to add insult to injury.

Not like Creative is much better, but it's SNR is at least above 60dba.

The only decent onboard audio was nVidia's Soundstorm...and that wasn't nVidia's idea...it was started by Microsoft.

If it adheres to the spec, it doesn't. At worst, only one of them supports audio pass thru

Did my earlier post get totally missed? Really?

The only difference between the two is that DVI-I is DVI-D plus DVI-A:

DVI-D is digital only.
    DVI-A is analog DVI (those 5 pins off to the side)

Thus, DVI-I has an analog channel...which doesn't matter.

Now, all of this said, here's an important point: the DVI-D spec includes 5 plug-n-play pins, which are what allow your videocard to recognize your monitor's supported resolutions. Component video does NOT support that; you only have YPbPr (Luminance, the different between blue and luma, the difference between red and luma) - there's no data going BACK to your videocard, as best I understand it - it's just a way transmitting data (or encrypting it if you're using YCbCr - which is digital.)

My point being, via component, I don't think you CAN get the info on what resolutions are supported...it's analog data usually, since I think YCbCr is less common.

And again, the connector is NOT an s-video connector. It's just a proprietary 7 pin connector that when split out, allows Component, Composite, has a ground, likely has shielding...etc. But that's it. Does it look like a S-Video Din connector? Sure. Could you somehow allow a S-Video cable to be plugged in and have it output S-Video? Again, sure...that's actually really simple to do, if you use the same din connections. But there is no such thing as 7-pin S-Video.

If you can in any way use HDMI, just use that. It's digital and has audio passthru with the right videocards...and it's a single connector, not 3 connectors.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010