Particle Effect Questions

Discussion in 'Art' started by Empty, Apr 12, 2010.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so, maybe it just started? tho i agree water would be nice ...

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Servers lock vehicles to no more than 12v12, IIRC.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I did have some comment calling you a dumb shit here, but I shall explain nicely. For once.

Servers choose the amount of vehicles. There are 3 servers to be concerned with. G4TC main - I run. VIPER - I help in running. ELC - Shandy runs.

In other words, the vehicles will be the max they can be, we don't lock it because of gameplay, but because of server limitations. Maybe if you played this game occasionally you might know this, however from every post you seem to put on this forum I get the feeling you played a few rounds once and never started up the game again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Imo the motar shell explosion is to bright/big

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Even though server might support ~40 vehicles it doesn't mean that teams will be able to afford that many most of the time.

Mortar explosion size is fine but dirt lasts too long.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Any idea how many vehicles/side the current servers can handle? The current 10/side limit is ridiculously low, but I'd think 20/side would strain the servers way too much.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

All 3 SVN servers seemed to handle 20 vehicles with tickrate 100 at real tickrate 50. I expect 30-40 with tickrate 33.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I know that server owners can (and should) stress test their servers to the max with different vehicles and in different scenarios. VIPER's is restricted to 10, I believe. Knowing G4TC, I'd say theirs is 12 (I don't play their server much).

You complain about 20v20 battles when that won't happen. In the update tank code is indeed optimized, and we might see that happen. I still doubt 20v20 is indeed plausible.

I'm not retarded, thanks!

9. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Why not release a optional particle pack with 2.25?

So everyone who wants the particles can just copy/paste the folders into their empires folder

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

dude get rid of the mowtar smoke!!! its horrible... I come up on someone and miss my shot then I pull out the pistol to kill him and I can't see him because of the mowtar smoke then he turns around an blasts me.

Also can you make have a shockwave to show the blast radius instead of big ass amounts of fire?

Love the rest pretty much tho.

11. Empty

Empty Member

Ungh shockwaves are annoying and don't really tell you the radius up close and it's hacky.

If you want a smaller effect get the radius nerfed, it's not my fault the splash is larger than the fucking HE cannon.

Also I'm about 99% sure I committed a version of mortar with smoke lasting less than 1.5 seconds.

12. Fooshi

Mowtah has a smoke effect now?

This is not Bad Company 2!

13. Empty

Empty Member

Of all weapons to kick up dust I would have thought handheld artillery would do it.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

1.5 seconds is too long. Also, I agree with Dubee, shockwaves are far better than giant screen engulfing fire.

G4TC main uses 10/side, VIPER uses 14 on the new server. Again, play the fucking game.

Also, with the new optimisations, we can easily ramp it up to 20 per team, if not further. I do 90% of the stress testing, and trust me when I say that this is going to be a problem.

15. Cloud

Cloud Member

Could ya perhaps duplicate the outgoing waves from the plasma and add a slightly scaled up refraction?

16. Fooshi

Why not make it just a tiny puff of smoke which lasts 0.5-1 second?

Doesn't have to be thick smoke.

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah my point about the shock wave is that explosions don't have fire balls the size of the push. Hell some nukes have broken windows 300 miles away and you can't see it.

The mowtar smoke HAS to go.. You're doing too much empty. Just make them look cool, they don't have to match the actual radius.

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I love the mortar smoke, cause it forces enemys out of their position when you hit.
    (its especially awesome if you bind "spot target" on your fire button) :3

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No you basically give him a smoke screen to escape.. It's just completely unnecessary and makes finishing him off with the pistol a lot harder.

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Vehicletraining, anyone?