Parachutes & Aircraft abilities

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by sirATthebox, Jan 3, 2008.

1. sirATthebox

sirATthebox Member

If we are going to have aircraft - then if you'r shot out the sky or want to paradrop from a transport - you'll need parachutes!!!
    I dont know if we already have them - but falling just a few feet really hurts .. but this will make it feel too much like battlefield 2142 / 2 etc.
    You could have to unlock it, and have aircraft ablities (like increased missle accuracy / speed / countermeasures) -but I bet you already thaught of that one.

2. Kuma

Kuma Member

Maybe we should wait to see what the devs will release, before we suggest ideas on a system that as of no doesn't exist. It's quite possible that there will be parachutes, or because of the low altitudes of the maps, you will more likely hit some part of the map before you have a chance to think of ejecting.

And remember, if you get shot down, its more likely that your plane will explode due to having its fuel tanks penetrated by missiles or flak, or something vital will have been blown off, causing you to fall into a spin or a tumble, where it will be nearly impossible for you to fight the physics holding you to the seat.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha i have suggested parachutes along time ago and the idea was shot down lol no pun intended

But when we were testing 2.0 I remember one RC didnt have any fall damage... I just came up with an idea tho.. how about a general skill for 3.0 called fall damage decrease.. or somthing like that.. it can either make long falls only do half damage or maybe none? But Im pretty sure the Devs are all agianst parachutes :(

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Crouch before you hit the floor to mitigate fall damage.

5. davee magee

davee magee Member

Corrected

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Personally I would rather have a jump jet like thing with limited fuel that will slow down your decent, I guess kinda like if you ever played Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire in the fifth level when you get your jetpack & you go against Boba Fett & it's basically just easier to jump off a ledge & turn on your jetpack just as you're about hit the floor to avoid damage, yeah kinda like that but with less fuel & it won't really be a jetpack (unless the developers want a jetpack).

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

pffft... parachutes.

this game will be way more fun with cinimaticrashes(c)

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I think ziplines would be a good idea, not only for exiting hovering dropships, but for getting down walls quickly

9. Androc

Androc Member

Yeah, I think the current plan was that aircraft will drop infantry in boxes or something.

I don't know. It didn't sound as fun as free fall.

10. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Personally, I like the idea of jet packs, but this is where I'd take it:

Create a new 'Aerial Assault Trooper' class, intended to get past walls/cliffs/blockades, infiltrate bases, drop from planes, etc. To keep weight down, you only get a SMG1. Regular walking/turning is at half speed from the weight of pack, and pack takes up extra slot in APC/Jeep (Only vehicles you can fit in with pack) Pack can be removed for regular movement speed. Regular jump action is assisted enough to clear walls, and only in straight line. To jump higher or maneuver, you must switch from your gun to a control stick. Height is then only limited by fuel, which decreases steadily as used, and can be replenished like ammo. While in air, you are vulnerable to MG turrets (and ML turrets if a camera/radar has been placed nearby). Skills can be used to upgrade pack, like extra fuel, armor, enhanced maneuverability, faster walking speed, added thrust, faster forward speed, upgrade to SMG2, anti-radar, det pack, small dumbfire missiles, and a single autotargetting SMG1 on each shoulder brace (with a 45 degree firing angle forward. Fires when target gets close enough, even if pack is removed. (i.e. turret mode) Finite ammo, that can be replenished with ammo box dropped nearby)

I think that this strike a good balance between speed of attack and damage done. AAT's will be able to get into a base fast, but they don't carry much ammo and only a single det pack (with skill) to damage buildings. While they would be good for raids, only a flood of them with all skills would work for a full assault. When placed on the ground, the narrow swing and light-weight caliber of the shoulder guns makes them unsuitable as regular turrets, but good enough to watch your back while in the middle of an enemy base. OTOH, screaming in on some poor sap with three (wildly inaccurate) SMG's blazing has got to count for something >:)

This would also be a nice ramp up to full aerial combat, because it can be used with current maps. (Yes, I know - the 'invisible wall'. So what?) Jetpacks are also a good, lower-poly substitute for parachutes. It would also shake up the game. For example, a besieged commander would be able to send out a half-dozen AAT's past besieging enemy lines on a mission to set up a barracks somewhere safe, so he can take the enemy from behind.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

nothing against your idea, but ive heard the devs eat everyone alive that suggests things like jet-packs

i just want to save your life :)

12. Angry

Angry Junior Member

No parachutes, already talked to Don about that one, so... no... No jetpacks either I don't think.

Blame don and his weird cult that doesn't believe in chutes.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

than we only have big springs clued to the feeds left... if he wants that

14. sirATthebox

sirATthebox Member

Yea - Jetpacks kinda 'defeat the object' of walls - would be cool if you had a 'jump tank' though... but it aint gonna happen.

Earlier on you said something about droping a create of infantry ... it that a respawnable create? can you spawn in it after it lands (or just while its in the drop-ship-plane-thing)? does it self destruct after a while?

Also - I think the scout is a good ninja (with hide ,sabotage and silenced weps). Could make the pack/chute etc unlockable only to scout and blocks other unlocks (like any other 'air' ones). This should cause his main wep to switch to an smg (1 or 2) and swap his pistol for a knife (for getting rid of the parachute when he lands) - This would put the "a plane isnt a plane - its a taxi" idea behind because you have less wepons - i dunno

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

parachutes are BOOOORIIIIIIIIIING

16. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate it. :) The devs are probably tired of
    while I, on the other hand, have been playing, analyzing, and programming games for over twenty years, and understand the kinds of problems inherent in adding radically new content to a game. That's why I am so careful when offering suggestions to make sure that my idea is balanced and in harmony with the rest of the game.

Not really. For balance, I made the AAT's very vulnerable in the air, and they don't have enough fuel to fly around all that much. They are (somewhat) in line with the jetpacks in Tribes, but even more limited. ML turrets with camera/radar make staying up in the air for any length of time around an enemy base a very bad idea. :headshot: :p

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

What's silenced weapons good for really? You get a rank every time you kill a guy, so if you kill the guy + 1 rank = Oh noes! I killed the scout.

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

There is no Kill message when you get silencer. Your team wont know what's going on. :D

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I agree that you shouldn't get the point display message, and the point for your kill should be rewarded after about 20 seconds, and without displaying a message.

20. sirATthebox

sirATthebox Member

I thaught we were going to have a flack turret to deal with the aircraft (since when has a jetpack has never been big enough for a vr-band/radar lock anyway - its not a tank)
    MG turrets cant look up high enough (unless level 3 - but it has to be far away) to be of use.
    + scouts have (vech.) radar invisability thing I never used... :confused: ... need i go on?