Ony show menus when they are useable

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metalhead, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I've searched the forum and I think nobody suggested this already. So here's my suggestion:

Current situation:
    At the moment jou can open the vehicle-create/customice menu everywhere on the map, although it s only useful if you're in a vehicle factory or on a repair pad. The same thing is with the select-class/skills menu. You open it everywhere but ony use it in an armory or a barracks. Newbies often think the skills are applied immediately and everywhere if they change them. There's no visual indicator that the skills aren't applied.

Suggestion:
    Only allow the menus to be opened where they can be used.
    To prevent people from forgetting to choose new skills, if they can, and outline this possibilites better for newbies, show the select-class/skills menu after you die, just beside the map (needs some changes in the user interface).
    Concerning the vehicle menu, I know that an improvement of the menu, if you are on a repairpad, has already been suggested. This is good, but i suggest adding an indicator that you can open a menu to do something, if you drive on a repairpad. The same thing would be needed in the vehicle factory, too, because new players often stack arround the terminal and don't know they can build vehicles from everywhere inside the building.

To be thought about:
    • How can the selection of spwanpoints and the selection of classes and skills be combined in one userinterface?
    • Whats the best way to indicate that a menu can be opened to do something? (maybe a hit like "Press v to change your vehicles equipment"?)

Pro:
    • Clears things up and makes it easier for new players
    • Makes some "hidden" features to be found easier
    • Reminds people of updating their skills

Contra:
    • Some UI-design and coding required (like for nearly every suggestion ;))
    • Not possible anymore to customize your vehicle before entering the vf. (Did anybody use this?)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Always, same for skill pre selection

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I often will bring up the class screen while running to the armoury, change my class and skills and then when get to the armoury, it's all there for me.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Same, but I do it for flags, especially ones that are out in the open

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

same, and i do that for the vehicle factory too.

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Yes. <filler>

7. FalconX

FalconX Developer

This seems to be the heart of the problem.

So I suggest, how about a visual indicator for when the class and vehicle customization screens will have an effect? It wouldn't need to be too big, just a small icon in a corner with a picture of a vehicle or a gun, or something, that would show up when you were in a vf/repair pad or barracks/armory respectively. This way advanced players could still access the screens to prepare customization, and new players would have a way of telling when they can actually do stuff. In addition there could be a "new skill" icon to let players know they have an empty skill slot.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I would say more often than not I customize or do class stuff outside vf/barracks.

9. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I use VF and skills customizer all the time too. I don't see the problem, only first day n00bs don't realize that your skills are not changed immediately.

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Don't understand.
    You have to stop walkting to change skills/customize vehicle, right?
    So whats the point of not doing it in the armory/vf where you normally are protected better?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

So it applies next time you respawn if you suddenly get killed. Usually I completely forget about my skills and suddenly have like two slots open. If I had to be in a Barracks to merely check for available slots, I'd probably never realize I have them :p

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

That's addressed with this:
    You would notice it immediately after you die and have the time until you respawn to change it.

13. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

It's fine the way it is.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

No, at least there should be a visual idicator if the skill is is active or just chosen . The other changes would make Empires better, too... at least if nobody can tell me why they need these menus everywhere on the map.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Because i fricking want to be able to change my setup elsewhere on the map.
    The same reason 10 other people try to explane you.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Yea, I know that you don't want this because you want to change your setup elsewhere on the map. But I asked why you want to change it elsewhere on the map. ;)

17. thaile

thaile Member

Basically to save time. For example if I'm building something I can just pop up the vf menu (causes you to go into autobuild mode ;) ) and check what's been research and setup the vehical then and there. This way the next time you're in the vf it takes 2 sec to spawn a tank, vs. 20 if you have to change the layout then and there.

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

no.. autowalk/run ftw! :)