Official "Your HUD sucks and you should feel bad" Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Ammo bar is coming back, just not soon because we have to wait on the javascript to come in.

Everything we've done changing this has allowed for customization. We're moving from hardcoded to softcoded so anyone can do whatever they want to the UI. Feel free to go into your Empires folder and mess around.

Neoony likes this.
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Where exactly is this? I've found stuff for old html ui stuff, and stuff currently being used for things like vf menu but I can't really find anything to do with the hud itself.

3. Avatarix

btw quick bug report
    when you enter apc sometimes you can not see seats menuu or switch seats

4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Empires/vgui/hud/lowerleft or lowerright. And a lot of stuff is just in completely random locations, so basically you just have to open very single vtf and guess what does what until you have them memorized.

It would be better if you worked with me over steam as I've just found out that the HUD might be something we lock so people can't have customized ones on secured servers.

Haven't touched that at all, so that's a weird one. Maybe make a bug report thread and try replicate it, one of the coders might be able to help.

5. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

custom huds shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as whatever script file is used to config them only has access to variables it needs exposed for it to function.

6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

So in the last two days I've made a bunch of new weapons for security, unique grenade icons so nobody accidentally grabs the wrong grenade (I do this constantly), and now I'm going to redo all the gun and skill icons. The current ones we have are in a compressed, low quality format, which probably nobody notices unless they zoom really far into everything like I do. But seeing as I'll be making everything fit with the new HUD style, we might as well make them look good at the same time for the 3 people who pay attention to that shit.

EDIT: small resolution to JPEG to imgur compression isn't the best way to show something increasing in quality, so you'll have to trust me that they look way better until you can see them ingame for yourself.
    [​IMG]

7. Avatarix

Oh boy, that tank looks SMOOTH as fuck, I like it.
    And the weapons icons are going to be silhouettes or viewmodels?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

5am, 8 hours later. Every single skill icon has been updated, cleaned, remade, you fucking name it but they look good. Weapons will be done FUCKING NEVER, enjoy.

There's literally 5,000 fucking icons and then another 3,000 for the squad auras and squad powers so no you don't get a preview, you get to see it in game and then come back here and say "great job man"

9. Avatarix

But how will I be able to see the full power (max res) of them?
    I want to bathe in light emanating from your glorious png's.

10. Lazybum

Did ya redo my research icons to look less poop?

11. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Because people were discussing the fact that nobody knows squad auras are a thing, I wanted to make them more obvious in the new icons. So I've changed my mind and will preview them for you to hate so that people in that thread can debate over whether this is obvious enough. First two are skills, second two are self explanatory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CLARIFICATION: Anything outside the white box isn't shown. Including the glow. The internal glow is still there though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

shouldnt squad revive read squad/mass revive instead of squad power? the stamina aura has no real ingame name, but squad aura?
    idk, i just think if you put text on there (which might not be the worst of ideas honestly), you might aswell put their respective names on it.

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Sorry I've been out of action for a few days. The bad news is, my friend crashed my car. The good news it, I have way more time doing nothing to make Empires things! Hooray!

So after a week of begging everyone even remotely related to empires to do me a solid, the beautiful beast of a man Misfire volunteered to take shots of every Empires weapon so we could have new, flashy, HD weapons to use. Really, that guy is super busy and you should all thank him personally. Anyway, I'm currently slapping them onto my template and magicking them into looking good at a very low pixel count, and I hope you can see the difference for yourself. I hope new players will too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before anybody asks YES NF GETS A RED GLOW NOT A BLUE ONE. this message is specifically for you, blackreddead, but I know you're still going to ask

14. Lazybum

A glow looks strange to me, I guess I need to see a nf one to really tell if it works out ok.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get screenshots of the models, I don't know shit about 3d stuff in source.

15. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

New icons for demonstration. High qual coming through, boys. I was told that the way I had grenade effects was too cartoony last time, so prepare for ultra realism.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Very fancy new icons, although I prefer the old blue background to the new one. But let's first see what it looks like in game.

17. Lazybum

I imagine it looks like that because it's actually transparent, the textured background is just so the icon can pop out better.

Still not sure on the glow, it's giving it a hazy effect on the edge of weapons. What's the red grenade btw? Seismics?

18. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

The red one is a conc. I used a different, white lens flare last time, but people didn't like it much.
    I have no idea how to display a seismic grenade, so I'm just going to leave it as a regular grenade and hope newbs understand it doesn't explode.

19. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

the only thing i hate on the new hud is it's "in your face" bolding appearance!!!
    a bit more decent would be nice :)

other issues like transparency, coloring, and visibility issues can be corrected!^^