Official "Your HUD sucks and you should feel bad" Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

its surprisingly big. Steam handles textures as a size relative to 640x480

So this texture is 512x512 and takes up about 450x480, meaning it'll be most of the screen. If anything I'll be making it smaller when we actually put them into the game. So just take the size as correctly scaled but not to scale, if that makes sense.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

on a VGA monitor ...

... i think in the year 2016 you can safely assume anyone to at least have a monitor capable of WXGA resolution ("720p").

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

You and I can. Source doesn't. Itll work either way which is what we're after.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Speaking of non-pleb resolutions, I take it for granted that your HUD supports 4K screens?

5. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Great stuff! Love the artwork. If I may ask, would it be possible to rename Auto Assign to Auto-Assign? Or Auto-assign.

Also, is there any possibility of rounding out all edges of the buttons instead of having the little arrows pop out? I get that it adds some sort of style but personally I don't really see it fitting nicely here.

Another option would be to connect the sides of the buttons with the rest of the main menu.

6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Supports whatever you feel like fam. 800x600 will have a very very minor bug that you won't notice unless I tell you about it first , but that's a code issue and not mine.

Auto Assign is my personal preference for alliteration, sorry buddy.

I won't be leaving it the way it is now. I predict there's going to be a lot of issues with the Loadout and squad selection screens that will require me to remake it. But we'll see what happens.

Still struggling with *good* button ideas, but an idea will come eventually.

7. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Did nobody notice the fact that the spawn selection tab is missing? I'm an idiot, I'll make a new one later, going afk for a week

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I played empires on 600*400 the first time i played it.

9. Lightning

Lightning Member

can we have a version where each bullet is visually displayed? i personally like it where i can see each bullet in my magazine is represented, as i dislike the whole X/Y style.

10. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Folks, what about adding unique art/assets to the UI, depending on which faction you're fighting for? Sort of like how WC3 does it.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

>.>

12. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Support is most likely not yet available but the idea is out there!

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

We can have it, just not now. I'd much rather spend my time making one good and complete GUI and then moving on to team specific ones instead of making two shitty HUDs that are incomplete and won't fit with the menu styles.

Don't worry though, it'll eventually be in the pipelines.

Ranger and Awpolt like this.
  14. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

People were whining that the buttons were the old buttons. Let's get something straight - this is not an overhaul, it is the "lets make things less ugly before the overhaul REEEEE REEEE YOU SELFISH FUCKS DO IT YOURSELF REEEEEEEE"

Anyway, while some things will still have the old textures (capping flags, bunch of miscellaneous stuff), I've decided to do the buttons because they're actually rather visible. VF buttons will still be the old ones, but everything else will be the new version. Also making the top panels and the new F menu more visible.

[​IMG]

Ranger likes this.
  15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

All comments about the new hud should be ignored for at least 2 weeks, just because of how nostalgic and anti-new-features this community is.

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

That's right back in the old days everything was better and there were no bugs or exploits, only features. And everything looked amazing and totally not like it was made from stretched photos of lego taken on a 1megapixel camera phone. Yep.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

That's what I thought, but most of the complaints lately have been that there haven't been ENOUGH new features and I need to go even furtherer. First theres too much change and now not enough.

Thanks for the new sig.

A-z-K likes this.
  18. Caelo

Caelo Member

I don't think the community is anti-new-features or really nostalgic about the game itself. Just very aware that changes can have negative outcomes. You should really think twice before changing gameplay elements in a game that is already in "production". Besides, I think the community is just very aware of the limited resources available and it's better to just discuss the crap out of stuff than to start implementing random things.

Some of the bugs are considered features now, yes ^^ But the only thing that was really better was the community even with the huge assholes... + I miss the in-game comm rants of HSM

19. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

If you weren't hindered by code what would you change the GUI to look like Devo, IE if we did have different huds for each team and such.

For example I'ld love to see class skills under main skill so you don't have to change tab when selecting skills.

20. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Oh man, things would be so stupidly simple. We would have tabs for everything, first of all, so you could just click between different groups instead of having to memorize the hotkeys or never spawn. All skills would be in the same dumping ground, separated by just a thin line to differentiate. I would probably remove, from ALL MENUS, any scrollbars, like the squad selection one, class/general skills, vehicle customization...

It would be easy to navigate and pretty. That being said, the current UI is great in that it lets you do everything you could possibly want to do in Empires - so I'd have to make sure that a new UI didn't dumb anything down.