Official Scout Thread Mrk III

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DonMegel, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Should we do this?

1. Right now!

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. It needs some changes

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No.

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I find it interesting how everyone assumes that locking on to target markers makes arty 100% accurate all the time. Maybe it just puts you at the elevation needed to hit it, but when you fire, they could still move out of the way while the shell travels

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Sorry man, my bad. I was unaware buildings have the ability to move.

3. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I fail to see how locking onto buildings helps much. But sure, let us say that it is overpowered when arty feedback does the same in about 2 shots

4. Reef

Reef Member

I like this one.

5. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

And arty feedback also "lock" you on the cv with 2 shots? Intresting, but imagine a commander whos driving 24/7 because 1 artywhore scout locked onto him, theres not much time left to command, is there?

Move, stop to command, get hit 3 times; repeat this 4 times and youve lost the game, or dont command, and you also lost the game... or run away with your cv, not possible if the enemy uses ER arty and youve at the same time not much space to run ... that IS OP!

6. communism

communism poof

agreed
    Having something aim for you is a nono in a fps ;P

7. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

By god sir I hadn't thought about that at all, the bastard skill will be the answer to my prayers so people don't all go engi at start. YOU SIR ARE A GOD!

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Considering I was referring to buildings with the "arty feedback", this fails to apply. As for locking on, yes, I see your point it is overpowered if it constantly tracks.

Maybe the lock on is only for the current position and doesn't follow?

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

If you would have read what I posted you would see that you can only lock on to buildings or areas of ground, not people or vehicals.

This is almost becoming more trouble than it is worth. All I get is "Thats stupid" or "thats over powered" or "This is the worst idea ever."

Most of the sugestions I see have to do with sabing buildings, which I said repeatidly is out or how to make the scout anti building, which was never his job.

Making counter points to everyone's points is useless and time consuming. What is needed is useful ideas not insults. I can't post here all the time because my time is limited. I was hoping to guide discussion not be King to whom everyone is agasint.

Talk among yourselves!

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Then why do you post it here if you don't want counter points? We posted way more than "that's overpowered" etc but aside from using this as a thread to suggest whatever you feel like for the scout, you won't accept counter points or just general flames, so it might aswell become the scout idea spam thread, because that's all that we can do if we want to actually be listened to. If you were genuinely serious about not wanting counter points, then fuck this thread and just do it, then deal with the flame/fap war afterwards. Don't attempt to make it look like we have any huge say in it when really the best we can do is spam about the worst ideas (Broken Arrow...) and hope to god you remove them.

And it's buildings or ground that's the problem. You find a spot in between 3-4 buildings, have a few arties lock on, and that's an entire base gone in seconds.

11. Mashav

Mashav Member

You're basing the discussion on your design and not really giving any reason for it. You're also just picking and choosing what you want to incorporate into your idea. After a class has been designed to do what its supposed to best, it comes down to what people prefer. If the basic design of the class isn't preferred (and there's somewhat of an undertone that its the only one going to be receiving the o'so needed dev support) then it is going to come down to personal preference.

When you use your authority as a dev and say "NO SABOTAGE EVA!!!!!" You're going to get negative feedback. This is especially true when you don't even give a detailed explanation or try to correct the problems that it has.

I thought the whole point of this was to redefine what the scouts job was? At last count enough people want at least a significant change. Well I don't want an anti-building scout, I think its interesting enough to warrant testing.

Then get rid of the poll, have yours posted along with others, Don't keep closing and reopening the same thread. When you keep basing the thread around one single outline, views that are completely contradictory are shot down.
    Probably the best thing you could do would be to create a temporary sub-forum for scout suggestions, so each one could be discussed individually without them being washed away in the normal suggestions.
    We have been, for quite awhile. We get nowhere. We have to base all* our opinions on speculation. We need dev support and working models. Considering this is the first significant interest from the devs In quite awhile most of us are rather exited.

*some basic weapon configurations can, and have been tested

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I read all of the posts, I listen to the sugestions and counter points that make sense, otherwise all three of these threads would have the same first post. The problems I am having are with the usless crits and the lack of real sugestions.

And yes, in the end it is up to the Devs, we make the game, but the Scout is a hot button issue and I wanted to try to build somthing with the communities imput. What comes out of this, if anything, is not the final say; I can not decide what to do unilaterally, but I wanted to take the time to try and get somthing hammered out.

As for changing the scout's role, we have two classes that are good at anti building already; the engy and the grenadier. Why would we need a third one? But now you will make a counter point about how the engy or grenadier isnt good at blowing up buildings or they are busy doing other things and then I return with another point, etc, etc. We are going to skip all of that and go right for; NO BUILDING SABOTAGING!

13. Mashav

Mashav Member

Scout with Sabotage=/=Anti building

There's your problem.
    When 2.22 came out and upped the DoT by 5 times to the point where it was noticeable and relevant, I hated it.
    Why? Because it gave the scout the ability to solo kill buildings(in a timely manner) and detracted away from the rest of sabotages (and the scout in general's) problems. Hell, I never liked the DoT in the first place.

I dislike that the scout can kill buildings. I don't want the scout to be able to kill buildings. I don't want the scout to be anti-building. I do want the scout to have sabotage.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Seems overly complex and not much fun to be honest. Most of those abilities and weapons would be useless to me.

15. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

speed upgrade, hide and a silenced pistol is all the scout needs really...

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No it isn't, that would be useless.

17. Demented

Demented Member

Unless you intend to play a really mean game of hide and seek.

18. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

speed upgrade for getting to the front line faster.. hide for getting past enemy line to give targets... and the silenced pistol, if u really want to anoy some1....

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Congratulations, you're functioning as a very poor camera with less combat ability than any other class in an area where nobody is fighting. BRILLIANT!

20. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

since 2.2 was released, that's how the scout has functioned