Official 2.24 Release

Discussion in 'News' started by Coffeeburrito, May 8, 2009.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Grenadier got several buffs:
    + Upgraded and Advanced Grenadier RPG research times and costs reduced, their effectiveness improved (-15 sec, -50% cost, +5/+10 more)
    + Mortar versus building damage is higher
    + RPG damage against buildings > 1 but still very crappy
    + Infantry resists set, rifleman has resists against vehicle mgs and other infantry fire (effective armor increase); grenadier has resists against tank shells

The grenadier is weaker vs infantry but stronger vs tanks and buildings now. Seems perfectly fine, and you still have your machine gun pistol vs infantry.

EDIT: Also i think it's again time for a PR offensive to have more people enjoy this mod. Spread the word to moddb, PlanetHL and every other news site that could bring in new players.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

To make it clear: 2.24b is a small update to the 2.24 release (which was released JUST on the forums on Wednesday, no announcement on the frontpage or anywhere else). Apply 2.24b over a 2.23 or 2.24 installation. If you installed 2.24 FULL from the first post, you do not need the patch.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

yet another improvement

4. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

This is such an improvement it's unbelievable. BECAR seems quite powerful, or the NFHR seems quite weak, but that's all I can say on balance changes. LTs are still overpowered, but the standard cannon improvement has helped.

I have also encountered a bug, along with sonecha, that binds seem to reset, especially those which overwrite previous keys. This seems to happen when entering vehicles. It's the same key I had for 2.23 (Q for voice com).

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I only played for like 10-15 mins yesturday and I liked how the gren performed, Did you change it more with this 2.24b? Mayamas prolly just trippen.. I'm just glad the mowtar works the same way. I don't really care about inf nerfs, I just don't want setup times.

6. NecoCorp

NecoCorp Member

Please explain how now the gren is now weakER against infantry? They're better against buildings and tanks now, but still as "weak" as they were before (they still have that 1 hit kill mortar vs infantry, correct?). Unless I'm mistaken of course.. Just don't paint this picture that grens can't rape infantry like they did in 2.23, they still very much can.

7. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

8. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Not Found

The requested URL /coffeeburrito/Empires_2.24c_client_hotfix.exe was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Strange... tried again and it worked....

9. Drag

Drag Member

Mortar one shot kills are gone. Good riddance. The arguments about it have filled these forums for ages.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A perfect hit will still take out a scout or engineer, but a rifleman will still have around 20 hp I think

11. jragbir

jragbir Member

I don't have much gripes but I think a direct shot with the mortar should be insta kill for any class. Its very hard to get direct hits against infantry :/

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Who uses the mortar against buildings? (exept turrets)

And I complain against the fact that the gren was nerfed
    against infantry and the rifleman was buffed versus tanks.
    I dont understand the whole rpg upgrade research stuff anyway.
    Its akward to force the commander to research stuff if the
    other classes get their "final set of skills" from start.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

When I played yesterday I liked how I was able to kill a ref alone with all my mowtar shells with out needing ammo upgrade. I haven't really faced any rifleman yet cause the only game I played was like 4 vs 4 on a big map, but the changes beerdude made it look good on paper.. I really like the nerf to dig in, I think that kinda balances out the upped armor.

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

What else does a gren attack a building with at range? Rockets are nerfed, remember.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

i've always used mortar against buildings. 1) it's always had higher damage than RPG regardless of how you look at it. 2) it splashes.

best weapon against a turret farm

16. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

downloading now....

A round of applause for the empires dev team. Things look extremely more balanced. And now I have more time to play (yay) so I think this is going to be fun

If I'm reading this right I'm going to be very very happy

17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This is because tank armor improves over time, while most infantry and building abilities don't. The rifleman, say, doesn't need "upgraded bullets" because the people he's killing won't get much stronger. The scout doesn't need to upgrade sabotage, and the engineer doesn't have to upgrade seismics (maybe engineers could get better ML turrets when the comm researches turrets, somehow, but it's not like engineers are ever underpowered.)

But the grenadier has a problem. An RPG that is strong enough to work well on late-game tanks will ridiculously rape early-game tanks. An RPG that is balanced for early-game tanks is too weak against late-game tanks. The RPG could be changed so it does some kind of percentage-based damage or something that is equally good vs. all armor and all sizes of tanks, but that takes away from the advantage of research, which is supposed to be an important part of the game and a major part of what compels players to take and hold refs -- a regen heavy should be stronger against a gren than a paper light, at least somewhat. The hard part is balancing that while leaving the grenadier useful and also balancing all the tanks against each other.

So the solution is to give grenadiers RPG upgrades that can compete with RPG upgrades. I don't think it's a perfect solution as it stands, and there's various other issues or alternatives, but that's the logic, and simply giving the gren the upgraded RPG from the start, at least, wouldn't work.

18. thetim

thetim Member

Without wanting to denigrate 2.23 - I can't program, so any working game release is way beyond anything I could achieve - this is a whole lot better. It looks as though real attention has been paid to sorting out the balance gripes of the last release.

19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I use mortar against buildings when RPG got nerfed against them. Grenadier is good class to take down structures by hand. Rifleman at least used to be somewhat good too with his 4 stickies but I don't think those could totally destroy buildings.

And the RPG upgrade is there to make the RPG stronger against late game tanks. Mortar does 120 damage, if I recall correctly, but RPG does like... 80. Mortar has low firing rate and non-guidable shells thus making it a bit less dangerous against tanks with 6 layers of armor.

Without the RPG upgrades RPG doesn't pose big threat to those tanks either because it does small damage even it could hit every rocket to same side of the tank.

With RPG upgrade it becomes in a way guided mortar shell with a bit faster firing rate thus making it more deadly against those same 6 layers of armor.

And if RPG did that 120 damage already in the early game, it just would be overpowered against LTs and Meds.

That's the reasoning behind RPG upgrade research.

20. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

*Applauds*

Congrats dev team,

^^