Nv4_display, Infinite loop?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hugegoat, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Hugegoat

Hugegoat Member

Hey guys, seeing as its my first post; and its a request for help, I apologize.

But a month ago I was playing empires, and I turned the screen resolution to something more comfortable for me (1280 × 720 - I think) and suddenly, my computer crashed on me and when I started it up again, it gave me the BSOD (blue screen of death) and it talks about something about nv4_display and that stuff.

So I wasnt too angry at that point, I figured I just needed an update to my graphics card (Msi Starforce Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT), so I booted it up in safe mode, and installed the most newest drivers for it.

But when I rebooted up my computer, my moniter gave me the "No display mode" or something along those lines. So over the last month, ive been uninstalling and installing drivers to no success as I either get the BSOD, or that moniter thing I mentioned earlier. The only reason im on right now is because I have no drivers for my graphics card, and I dont have anything for the VGA compatiable thing etheir.

Please help.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

BSOD means that something's wrong with your drivers or hardware. It's not an Empires related problem (probably). I had a similar problem and solved it by attaching a monitor that supports such resolution. :P If in trouble, reinstall Windows and remember to install drivers for your display (or at least limit video modes a bit). If Windows doesn't detect the monitor it may think that it supports all possible modes.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  3. Hugegoat

Hugegoat Member

Are those the only solutions available to me?

4. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Switch to Linux

These kinda problems made me switch.

5. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Boot into safe mode, and change the resolution to something that your monitor can display.

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Get a driver cleaner from guru3d.com (such as http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655 ) - uninstall the driver & install the cleaner, reboot into safe mode and run the cleaner, reboot into normal mode, run cleaner again, reboot, install new driver, see if you're any better off.

That isn't terribly helpful - he obviously games, and thus going to Linux will only be more of a headache then he has at the moment.

7. Hugegoat

Hugegoat Member

None of these really solved my problem, I still get the nv4_disp problem, and im currently still using my computer without a graphics driver installed.

I'm about ready to give up and accept that my graphics card got screwed up somehow, and commit suicide :headshot: . Any other help?

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Looking in a very old thread of mine, I managed to find something that helped a guy with the same problem as you (Source game crashed on loading); Link

You need to force the video options (so force it at like 800x600 and if that doesn't work add -dxlevel 81 to it and if that doesn't work go down with the dxlevel).

But you also say you've got drivers issues. Have you tried out the Omega Drivers? The nVidia ones are pretty old, but you never know: http://www.omegadrivers.net/

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I'd suggest posting over on http://hardforums.com/ or http://forums.anandtech.com/ - they will better know how to help - there MAY even be an existing thread about this.

I avoid omega and other optimized drivers out of habit - been burned too many times.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

11. Hugegoat

Hugegoat Member

That doesn't really help..... Dont you think I would of googled it, and seeked help before this post?

I also reformated and reinstalled windows onto my computer (dumped alot of crap out) but the graphics card is still acting like a bizatch.

12. nhammen

nhammen Member

I had the same problem, and after buying a new video card and more memory, the problem went away.

From looking at what the problem is (video card fighting over memory), there are 3 solutions:
    1) "upgrade" to Vista (it is an XP problem after all)
    2) get more RAM (no need to fight if there's plenty to go around)
    3) lower your settings (no need to fight if you don't use very much)

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

probably bad hardware on the vid card. Run memtest 86+ just to make sure your RAM is good?

14. Hugegoat

Hugegoat Member

Yup, my RAMs fine; im going to try taking out the graphics card and letting my computer run it for a while, then put it back in.

15. Megor

Megor Member

I was switching between HDR and such yesturday and suddenly ran into this problem, happened 3 times till i finally uninstalled my drivers and installed newest beta Nvidia drivers. I have a 7600. Screen went all lines and blurry randomly and then the BSOD came up or i just rebooted.

Interestingly though it only happened in Empires, no other mods and no other games, I have some tough graphics games like COD4 and GRAW2 and a few others and had no problems.

So I am not sure, but I think it had something to do with having HDR on and Color correction on. I have them off now running at 1280 x 800, everything on High with no issues.

The other thing I thought of was my nvidia config, so i made sure that Anti Aliasing and such were program controlled only so I wasn't forcing 2 different settings. This could cause a loop.

If you are overclocking your Card turn it down a bit may help, or more cooling, heat can cause memory to miss data or a number of things, and fail temporarily.

So far with my changes I have not seen that error yet.

16. Necromunger

Necromunger Member

hey guys i just got a new hard drive cas the old one ..erm Died and so after i reinstalled empires again i got this problem but it doent make any sence because this was working befor /CRY im not that good with the inside of computers culd someone tell me in as plain english as they can thigs i can try to do to fix it ??
    thx.

17. Caelo

Caelo Member

If all else fails 1. reinstall windows. 2. install newest drivers from nzone