[NUBS and EPIC server owners] Permanent ban request - Mr. X

Discussion in 'General' started by GregariousJB, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregariousJB

GregariousJB Member Staff Member Web Developer

I can't find a relevant forum to attempt to communicate with both server owners, so here it'll go. Mods/Admins are welcome to move this as needed.

Most of you may have seen me over the years, though I've been more of a lurker - mostly just interested in playing the game rather than visiting these forums. At one point I wanted to help with the wiki and ended up making this, but it's probably not accurate anymore.

Today I feel like I've found a good reason to come here, though I wish it were under better circumstances.

I recognize as I'm sure some of you do that this community isn't renown for being helpful and easy for newbies to pick up and join (with the occasional exception of JustGoFly's words of wisdom). Most of us still around have been playing for years - we know the research, the tactics, and the general gameplay needed to win, so when a new player comes along it's very obvious to us and we tend to steer clear of them for fear of losing. They're more likely to unknowingly grab the CV and drive it into the water than to join as an Engineer and help get refineries. I'm certainly guilty of avoiding them. I like to win.

There is, however, a markedly pungent stain in this community that eats away at it - infecting it with even more disdain and astonishingly abrasive unsportsmanlike conduct than any other I've witnessed over the years in Empires. That stain's name is Mr. X, who is now (unfortunately) unbanned after being banned the other day by Creeper for spamming the "pires" bot even after being muted, getting kicked, and then continuing to do it.

Today (on the Epic server), we were blessed with his inevitable return and in-game infection:

(All) Mr. X.: what a fucking noob game
    (All) Mr. X.: entirely pointless

This is while he, in a tank, was beating the crap out of my (the Commander) base. We lost that game, and on several occasions he stopped to make sure we all recognized his misery and contempt for anything resembling enjoyment.

This, however, is one example of hundreds. Mr. X has nothing nice to say. He is always negative, unsportsmanlike, childish, and abusive.

If you admins have a system of checking chat logs, just search for his chat history and try not to get lost in the depths of this impertinent waste of oxygen. I feel pity for the Admin that actually does this.

I turn 33 in two days, and I've been gaming for about that long. Even in all that time, even among the actual children that brag how often they've fucked my mom, the adults that grief out of boredom, the nerds that can't keep quiet, the elitists that taunt you because they know they're better... even after the thousands upon thousands of personalities I've come across in all my years of gaming, Mr. X could very easily win in my all time top 3 shittiest people I've ever played with.

I request that the owners and admins of both major servers - NUBS and EPIC - make a stand against this kind of behavior and attitude. If there is an interest in moving forward with the development of this game, there needs to be a line drawn on how completely toxic someone is able to be before being forcibly removed. In my humble opinion, Mr. X crossed that line a long time ago. Let's remove him forever so we can get on with having fun with the game.

Thank you for your consideration.

2. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I mean, you're not wrong there.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Mr. X isn't all that bad. He's fun to command against.

4. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Greg, I understand your frustration. We all get frustrated with this game from time to time, and certainly a reset is needed by each of us on occasion. Nubs can certainly set anyone off for their inherent team griefing, unwillingness to learn and just plain dumb behavior. But many of us take this game too seriously. So what I recommend, is to sit in Spec, enjoy chatting with the guys and if you feel so inclined attempt to train the new players. They don't deserver it, but it's the only way to get them to Vet status. Maybe Creeper can open a Vets server, and only the top 200 players are added to that server, and upon request and Vetting (so to speak).

I honestly hate the concept of Perma-Ban for anyone. A week or even a month is huge, but permanent is too much. Ban him a day every time he turns to shit, until he straightens out or stops coming back. I think the admins will need to chat with the server owners to get some direction on how to handle shit talking. Hell I'm at risk, since I will try to train them and get frustrated when they ignore advice. I chalk it up to some being very young, some not liking to be told what to do, and others just in for a quick shoot em up and move along. But occasionally we hit on a gem of a player and they convert to a vet after investing hundreds of hours of play.

I think X is an asset to the game for the sole reason that he is a very good player, and a good commander. He has no patience for nubs and has griefed when he thinks he is about to lose. But this game brings out the infant in all of us. Be mad at him, tell him he should straighten out, ban him for a day, but lets not kick him out of the house forever. I think that is just a bit to severe.

Recommendation for server owners to decide on an action:
    1) Mute the player bad mouthing anyone. But only if they are shitting on someone. General untargeted statements could be just blowing off steam.
    2) If they type shit everyone is not laughing at it, or even one person complains, gag them.
    3) If they are able to rejoin and unmute or ungag themselves - perma-mute, and/or perma-gag. Ungag them after they quit, or leave it upto Creeper/Trickster to handle. Send them a note.
    4) Next step expected of the infantile player would be to grief the team. The sneak grief is to just join and do nothing. Kick them.
    5) Griefing com = one day ban.
    6) If they rejoin and continue = One Day Ban.

Always warn them before taking action. "Keep this up X and you'll be muted!" ...

5. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

I've played EMPIRES for awhile. I love it for it's FPS RTS gameplay. And another core mechanic of the game that comes with it is called TOXIC PEOPLE.

There's been plenty of it since day 1. When you play EMPIRES, come in expecting to shoot people up, building bases, and handle all the most positive and socially graceful people you will ever met.

It's part of the game! You just didn't know it!

6. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Really agree with you JustGoFly, and, you know what is going to counteract the negative people in empires? People rising to the occasion and accepting it's just a game. The only thing that pisses me off are when the teams are stacked, but thanks to the kind of informal balance system known as "Specpires" Most games usually turn out okay. So it's really just a matter of being nice. It's hard being comm and being put under that much pressure. In someways, i think of it less as a game and more of a team exercise. However, it says it right there in the manual, compliment your team. I've lost four times in a row, yet i still had people that loved me (Delta, thanks man :) just because i was a little nicer than comms like Mr. X. So... Take it or leave it, just try to be level headed and nice and the community will follow.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

The people that do all the bitching are the ones who are no good at the most fundamental part of the game - communication & leadership.

You've got plenty of people who know all the tech tree values & the good placements for buildings & so on and so forth, but some see someone who doesn't as a problem.

The best players can take less experienced players and make a valuable squad. Or take half decent squad leaders and make a cohesive team.
    Trickster, Capguy, FN, Security are a couple of examples but there are more - By asking & encouraging players instead of telling them the results are much better.

I don't have a particular problem myself with X, I get that he is really rude a lot of the time but so is BlakkCooper & he is hilarious.
    It would be nice if everyone could be a little more aware of themselves but it isn't hard to mute people and ignore them, I do it all the time to mic spammers, salty old vets & squeekers.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Not picking a side, can we stop posting this kind of stuff on forums, like really.

Let Creeper run his server, if he really wanted to perma ban Mr.X, he would've done that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Neoony likes this.
  9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.