NPCs

Discussion in 'Coding' started by harryhoot1, Feb 2, 2010.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

half life 2: wars was alrite. i only played it a few times. hmm yeh, viper server needs to restart once in a while because of the increasing resource usage after a while.

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That has absolutely nothing to do with NPCs or the nav mesh.

3. FN198

FN198 Member

dummy plug commander
    [​IMG]

4. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

great job FN, now you got the model, why don't you code it up in C.

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Well, we could always just use a waypointing system like RCBot2. Its a crappier method, but the bots don't need to be super intelligent killing machines. If they can follow commander orders, build buildings, and fire straight, that would probably be enough.

6. willvette

willvette Member

I once started on defining AI Conditions, but I did not finish, to any one who wants it

Attached Files:

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I love that you put vehicles and turrets in there. All we need are bots to see a tank and run at it with engy tool out or to run towards a MG turret with calc out.

it does seem to be a complete list tho.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a thousand engineers with calc out vs 1 chaingun apc

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

apc wins with 1,000 points and 20 hull.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

good empires zombie mod scenario xD

11. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So what would be the difference to a server without bots? :whistle:

12. Silverman

Silverman Member

Bot Code

Hi
    I recently downloaded Empires and found out that this mod doesn't have bots. It's sad but when reading the Topic, i thought about one game which might help somebody making a bot. Pls don't take this as advertising, i want Empires to have Bots, or atleast a third-party-plugin.
    One thing first, i will make a movie of the game to show you how the bots work.
    Ok, the game is the game Space Rangers 2. There are planet battles, in which you take the commanders position. You build robots, which can conquer bases. These robots can have different weapons and you can steer them by pressing the right button. When steering them, you can't let a bot drive them but in commanders view you can.
    The bots can execute the following orders: Walk to this place, stop, patrol between these waypoints, attack this target, conquer this target.
    After walking to the place, they will automatically defend themselves against any enemy they see. They will move towards the enemy and back (very clever), and after they are defeated, they will move back to their first position.
    When they're given the option "stop", they won't move but will defend themselves against the enemys.
    When patrolling they will attack the enemys, then patrolling.
    They will only attack or conquer when said. Look to attack mode and conquer mode below, these modes have the same effect like these orders but with these orders they will attack or conquer only the given target, with the mode they will choose their targets and conquer all if possible.
    There are three modes the bots can have: "attack mode", "conquer mode" and "defend mode".
    When in defend mode, they will stay at the nearest base, and move when this base is attacked. They will automatically attack the enemys, then move back. When another base of the player is attacked, they will go to this base which is attacked.
    When in Attack mode, they will automatically attack the bases which are next to them. But they won't just move to one base, they will split up and attack several bases, again it's said that they are very clever. But this attack mode isn't used often, more useful is the conquer mode.
    In conquer mode they will conquer the bases, not destroy them. They will attack all robots which defend the base, and all which they find in their way. The conquer mode is nearly the same as attack mode, the only difference is the one above.
    These are the options of the player for making robots.
    The enemy-commanders are all bots. They steer the bots not perfectly but well enough trough the battleground. Not with a perfect strategy but you have problems to win.
    All commanders can build turrets to defend the single bases. I'll show in the video i will make. The bot-commanders aren't clever enough to build the best turrets at the best places but they are well enough to build turrets at important bases.
    I think this game would be a good one for making bots for the Empires-Mod.
    I'll put a link for the video into this thread, when i finished it.
    Greetings
    Silverman

PS: Another game would be also good, it's Savage, and it's very similar to Empires apart from the fantasy-world. One version named Savage XR contains bots, which can follow orders but aren't very clever. If you could look for this game, i don't play it anymore and can't describe the bot good enough.

13. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Isn't it more fun to have real players instead of aim mad bots?

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya but bots can fill the player base allowing empires to be functional with fewer players, currently only 1 server is used cause small games are pointless and suck. Promoting people to be able to play smaller games will make for some more casual games for people to play and enjoy if they want to.

IMO you should be able to play empires 1v1, and enjoy the game until it gets bigger. Currently it takes hours of seeding to get empires to any point of enjoyable for people.

15. Silverman

Silverman Member

ok, going to create the video. Would you be able to create a bot based on the robots? If yes, i could send you all files you need. But i won't send you every file, i don't want to make something illegal.

EDIT:
    I can't speak any program-language except for html but i would help, if i can. For example set waypoints on all maps. If one could give me a tutorial on how to set this waypoints or an editor to set the waypoints, i would do it.
    Greetings
    Silverman

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  16. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

would it be difficult to bring back the code for half life 2 npc's?

17. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

It would be useful for singlepiers. Empires needs signlepiers so I can make maps to edjucate the nubs. Or just have a wave mod for gunning down waves of infantry in an LT...
    If I was more sourcepierenced I would make my own mod called Singlepires by mashing the HL2 and Empires assets together. Hmm... junctions.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah as if it's that easy :p

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's already there. Node graph code might be still enabled but navmesh isn't. There's no chance you'd generate navmesh using current method for maps like duststorm.

Once you have navmesh coded you can play with HL2 NPC/AI classes.

If you're asking like I think you are ("I can't code, go enable it for me, I won't code anything myself") then there's no chance you'll get anything done.

20. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

In the OP, I said that I was willing to learn, but I just need to be pointed to the right direction