'NoSpam! verification question' incorrect

Discussion in 'Support' started by Crispy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Crispy

Crispy Member

I just registered for these forums, and thought I'd mention that the NoSpam! verification question is incorrect.

It asks:
    What company makes Steam and Half-Life 2?

The answer it accepts is:
    Valve

The correct answer (the official name of the company) is:
    Valve Corporation

This could cause problems with the most savvy of registrants. A better way of wording it to get around bots would be:

Question: What company makes Steam and Half-Life 2: Valve Corporation or Black Mesa Industries?
    Accepted answer: Valve Corporation

This gives humans the actual correct answer to the question, and even if they don't really know they have a multiple choice (which a bot won't be able to interpret).

This saves you from asking a question that requires you to input an incorrect or inaccurate answer and punishes users for accuracy.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It accepts multiple answers.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i have yet so see a bot in here so either the admins are really on the ball or it works fine.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i for one never knew we had a 'NoSpam! verification question'

5. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

This

I guess that's what happens when your account is from the previous forums.

6. Crispy

Crispy Member

If it does, one of the multiple answers it accepts is not the correct answer to the question: "Valve Corporation"

This will cause minor end-user frustration for those people, like me, who put in the correct answer and are told they are wrong and forced to put in a less accurate version of the answer.

Their postal address is:
    Valve Corporation
    PO Box 1688
    Bellevue WA 98009

The business is registered as Valve Corporation.

Ergo, the name of the company that makes Steam and Half-Life 2 is Valve Corporation.

If it accepts multiple responses, the correct answer to the question should at least be one of them. I know it's a minor point that won't be a high priority, but I am definitely not wrong on this point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i say it with love, but still...

geek

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Dude. You managed to register to the forums. Why do you care?

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

I smell pedantism.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Most people call them VALVe, and some even call them Steam. (the latter being incorrect, but whatever)

11. Crispy

Crispy Member

;)

That should also answer your question. I care because it creates a possible source of end-user frustration, and it is natural for me to point such things out.

You obviously care that I care, too, or you wouldn't be taking your time to post; but I don't care why you care, so I'm not going to ask why you care (!!!)

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

I've never heard of anyone having troubles registering to the forum...

also if you don't think it is correct see it as a check to see if you're worthy or not :P

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

its one of those things that technically is wrong but actually has no effect on anyone.

if it aint broke dont fix it

14. Crispy

Crispy Member

I half agree, but your conclusion that it has no effect on anyone, and the previous poster's comment that he hasn't heard of anyone having problems is fundamentally flawed because to know about problems the person would have to have registered correctly.

If they really cannot register (language barrier perhaps, or general ignorance about who made the game they downloaded a mod for) they would not be able to tell you.

I agree it's not a major issue, but if it's a quick fix it's worth fixing, because the last thing a mod with a small community wants to do is create extra barriers to entry for new community members. (Remember this may be due to a poor grasp fo the English language or just general naivety. To bar someone from a community because they are naive or foreign is pretty elitist.)

15. Caelo

Caelo Member

I partly agree on your comment, Crispy, but I can hear them in-game fine...
    Also especially in the non-english speaking parts of the world the "correct" answer would be VALVe or valve or in whatever form you want to spell it..

Also I want to note that Valve Corporation themselves use 'Valve' on their website more frequent than 'Valve Corporation'

16. Crispy

Crispy Member

Both are correct answers, but the thing is both cannot be entered. Anyway I've made the point, I'm not going to belabour it.

17. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I've had about one person complain that they couldn't register once. They are able to contact me by using the forum contact function, and I helped them.