Non-Instant Revive

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Herbie, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

I've never made a suggestion before but i think I'll give it a try.
    I think Instant revive is pretty much a broken mechanic and you can abuse it as much as you want ATM. With good teamwork a group of three revive engineers can be immortal. It also causes stalemates where engis can hide behind walls and constantly revive.

I don't think revive should be like that, I think it should be more like L4D2, where it takes time to revive people. It doesn't have to be long, It doesn't even have to be complex, just make it so you have to heal them up with the calculator for about 3 seconds until they're revived.

Any thoughts?

Edit:
    Secondary additional suggestion: Make it so the dead player can cancel the revive process. They cannot spawn if someone is reviving them unless they cancel. (Right click)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Krazer

Krazer Member

Agreed.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Empires is too much of an arcade-fps, anything slower than 0.000001 nanoseconds is going to ruin gameplay.

4. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

And your idea of gameplay is shooting the same guy dead 3 times in a row? Only to die to the same corpse you emptied all your ammo into. I really don't care if its really short , but instant-revive is insane and terribad for gameplay.

Imagine how bad l4d2 would be if you could insta-revive.

Empires Revive is like building a lvl3 turret instantly.

5. VIZIO

VIZIO Banned

This post again

6. Apex

Apex Member

You can't slap one thing from a game that works well there into another game balanced with different aspects of gameplay. Revive orgies are a rare problem and can be countered by explosives, HMGs and/or vehicles.

7. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

OK firstly, I haven't played l4d in ages, I did not see that and think "that would be great in Empires" if thats what you're suggesting I did. I sore instant revive as a big issue, thats causing problems, (mostly in infantry maps I must admit) and then I looked for examples of how it could be done better. It really isn't a rare problem especially in maps with few choke-points, its very common. I'm also not suggesting it should take forever, maybe one or two seconds of holding your mouse down.

8. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Holy shit how's that car talking?!?!??!?!

9. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

instant revive is not really a problem. also the 3 engees are not. 3 engees constantly reviving? 1 or 2 rifles take them out by running behind the walls killing the standing ones first then the lying ones, or spamming grenades up their asses.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what sprayer said.

also what empty said, as soon as you extend the time it needs an engi to revive, it is becomming utterly useless.

if you want to extend something, extend the time to be revived. so engies could still just touch dead bodies, but they dont come back to life instantly, but a second or two later (maybe with an option to decide if they want to be revived - fire = yes, 2ndfire = no)
    aaaaaalternatively you could simply bring back the guys with 25% health or 33% or whatever but keep it instant.

11. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

I don't see how the hell it would make revive 'useless', thats crazy, it just prevents people diving around corners spamming click and reviving an army, instantly. Which IMO is abusing it and almost unstoppable. They instead would have to clear out an area before reviving, build walls etc. Atm engis just ignore the enemy, face the ground , and spam spam spam. Which is just ridiculous and is no challenge at all, thus no fun.

Everyone knows revive is the most powerful skill in the game. So somehow adding a few seconds to it makes it utterly useless, now?

12. flasche

noone is waiting for revives apart from those guys you stack with unless the map is district (which you havnt been talking about, there aint walls on district)

do you really think that guys would wait 20-30seconds till they could be revived? and tbh, i think this timeframe is (way) too low if you have to clear an erea first ...

13. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

what are you talking about 20-30 seconds, I said 2-3 seconds. Of course they would wait a couple of seconds to avoid the ten second penalty and to avoid the massive travel distance back to their current position.
    Clearing an area means killing anyone in sight , or building a wall, none of them take any time.

14. flasche

ofc it does take time and i think that the 20-30 seconds are not exaggerated in a real game scenario - especially if tanks are around.
    but you are right, 20-30secs are probably too short ...

you also seem to forget the time it takes you to notice the death and the travel time to that position. if it would be as instant as you suggest, i could revive anyone anytime and they wouldnt have the choice to not wait for my revive and spawn in the second i reached the body. which happens all the time on comm maps, even in the canyon of slaughtered, and that IS 10seconds as it is atm.

15. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

That would only happen by mistake. No one is going to waste tickets and time like that deliberately , unless they see an important reason to do so ( get vehicle, defend refs , base etc)
    Also the reason why that is frustrating is if you die/get hurt in the process of trying to revive someone , ie you take a risk. With non-instant revive you would have to make sure your safe anyway , so there should be no chance you'll die trying to revive someone.

16. flasche

cmon u play that game long enough to know that ppl dont wait for revives. unless you stack and then revive is probably the least evil ...

17. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

At the end of the day if one engi can't stay in one spot for 2 seconds, what chance does the player being revived have. (they are immobile for at least 2 seconds). They might as well spawn.

As I mentioned in the OP, you won't be able to spawn while being revived unless you deliberately cancel it.

Also yes this problem isn't that common in your average silly pub games on rainbow-road and octagons. However it is a problem when players want to play seriously and competitively.

Anyway brb shopping flasche, we'll recommence in about 2 hours.

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

although MOOtant will be crashing down on me again if i suggest this, but i really liked the Brink approach on this

you get shot down and lay on the ground afterwards (not really dead)
    enemies can still completly kill you, but that would take even more hits as if you were alive shooting you down

now, as long as you are "semi-alive", a medic can toss you a syringe (wich is like instant, so no time to wait for the medic)
    with that syringe you can still decide to revive yourself or respawn
    the revive needs to be channeled for about 2-3 seconds
    and if you got a certain skill you can even shoot with your sidearm while semi-dead, but you are easier to kill then just beeing semi-dead and not shooting

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I Luv Herbie, Please Implement A Suggestion That Is The Bastard Breed Child Of Firewarior And Herbie Thaaank You

20. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I think we should leave revive as it is. It'll cause more annoyance than it'll "fix", to be honest. Waiting for someone to revive you is boring enough, to then just get revived, wait 2-3 secs and THEN get killed again when you're ready to go.