No more emp_recruits

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jcw87, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

No, I don't mean no more new players! I have noticed that various multiplayer source games set the steam account name as the default player name. This is useful, as it makes it much easier to tell newbs apart, and to give names to griefers other than the anonymous emp_recruit. I think Empires already does this if the name is not specified in the config.cfg. So basically, before next release, remove the name line in the config.cfg

2. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

No one is annonymous, just type status in console and you have their steam id :cool:

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

That would be a good thing, cause that way new players would change their nicks right away.. :D

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

their nicks would be automatically changed to whatever their steam name is. I think this is a great idea, as it would be harder to tell newbs apart and we would therefore not hate on them as much

Of course i would miss EMP_Recruit

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Great idea, if indeed it is that simple to do.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

change all the names to sgt mike

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

not being able to start out anonymous is a good thing?
    I don't like this idea, I'm sure there are people out there that liked to be starting out with a name that shows they are new.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

good point; take insurgency, where i sucked, but didn't care TOO much because people didn't know who i was.

9. dizzyone

On the other hand, they could have their own name, but still be recognized as new players, by having them wear a newish star on their jacket.
    I'm quite sure I already have one supporter for this grand idea, JCW87 the ban nazi :p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  10. neMeNis

neMeNis Member

Why dont u call them simply: "noob"
    no one wants to be called a noob even if he is one, therefor they will change name imediatly and everyone on the server would still know they´re noobs!;)

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I could of sworn that said Jewish star earlier ;)

12. dizzyone

orly?

Well look at it this way, its even better, not only are they no longer anonymous, but can they easily be recognized as new players, as -known- regulars have all been reported at least once by jcw, they're in the clear, thus decreasing the criterial of people to ban.

13. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Saying that I have reported all known regulars is just stupid. I'm a regular too :p. But seriously, enough with calling me a ban nazi. I'm just sick of ruined games like everyone else. BTW you still have yet to punish grim gibber for smoke spamming his own team.

14. dizzyone

Even though from this point on new players are the source of griefing, it just sounds like a real silly measure to take against players, its silly for one as everyone has a steamid and can change his name before ever joining, second its a weird way of being able to use their steam name against them.

Who knows, maybe your real intention is to spam chat them through steam friends.

Which raises another point on privacy, do I want to show my steamid name to random people? I'm anal like that, I don't want people knowing my steamid, they could hack my account (how do you know my password isn't 1234) and second I definitly don't want random people to add me to their steam friends, where they can know exactly which game I'm playing at what time, and best of all, annoy the fuck out of me by sending messages while I'm playing. I'm anal like that and if a mod has this the first thing I will do is change my name.
    This should never be used against anyone, also jcw, lighten up.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

All I needed to know. [​IMG]

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Lets see... CS:S already does this, so does HL2DM, having empires do it isn't gonna deter any players. If you want to change your name first thing, thats comepletely fine. But it's a real pain to keep track of a player when you have 5 emp_recruits in the game, especially since when the next map is loading, the number in front of their names tends to change according to who loads first. Also, your steam friends arguement is completely invalid, as it requires mutual friendship to see what the other player is doing. I don't see how this could be used against anyone, other than being able to keep track of a player on your server with bad behaviours (racism.)

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol yeah cause me and bob the builder climbing walls on the winning team was ruining the game......................................

18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

you built a barracks up there...

19. dizzyone

Admins can already keep track of players and ban them.
    The steam friends was an example, what you're still saying is you want to use their steam name against them, like its a tool for you to report people or something. Its not and reconsider bringing more features of steam into bad day light :p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

our team had already surrounded the other team which had no refs no tanks and was about to lose.. so tell me how building a barracks up there ruined the game..... IT DIDNT.. YOU WHORE lol

also you werent even playing that match you were just specing people looking to be a snitch