NF Shotgun Concept

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

from a mechanical point of view, that wont work

the ammunition has to slide backwards trough the drum, yet they are supposed to be halted by the metal part of the ammunition having a ridge stopping the ammo from sliding forward when the hammer hits it

now it would just slide forward thus break the hammer hit force and not go off + jam the gun

it would be possible to find some design to compensate for this somehow but it would make the gun needlessly complex mechanical wise

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

When it comes to revolvers simplest is best. You all have gone mad btw. And my poor shotgun has been shopped more then the numa numa guy!

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Lol. Sorry Vess. :D I just felt like being creative.

And Blizzerd you forgot one very simple and yet so effective way of preventing the sliding in the firing barrel. (You thought I haven't thought that far.)

The plastic cover around the... debris of the buck.

You know, that red thing. THAT will stop the buck sliding forward. The inside radius of the buck is as big as the barrel where the debris is going to be fired but the radius of the red plastic coating is larger than the barrel, thus it won't move forward. (And we could always imaginate that the plastic coat is thicker than in normal shotguns if you want to make sure it stays still.)

(Plus this is going to be a model for game so small cheats are allowed, don't you think? ;) )

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if that is so then the metal cap still will make your gun jam

[​IMG]

it ends in a rim that is larger then the barrel and the plastic, so your ammo will wobble and jam

ammo isnt supposed to move forward beyond that metal rim in a drum as far as i know, that is what i tried to tell you

5. Mr. Weedy

:P Just use your imagination to overcome that issue. Maybe those bucks are special made which are shaped like cones so the open end of the plastic cover has bigger radius than the end where it connects to the metal rim or maybe the metal rim is smooth without that kind of wider end like in the pic.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Blizzerd they only have the rim because of how Earth shotguns work. Empires does not take place on Earth (and I really wish the devs would give the damn planet a fucking name D: ). It doesn't even take place in our galaxy from what Don Megel has told me in the past. If a shotgun like that existed, there would be shells designed for it. Theres a difference between mechanical fault and design differences.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ah, i get it now

8. Alceister

Alceister Member

The only reason why someone would use a revolver mechanism to make a shotgun in my opinion, is for reasons of size/shell capacity. That is, making the smallest possible weapon while being able to fire a reasonable amount of shots before reloading. As a trade off to a more compact size, you'd be only able to fire less powerful ammunition. So really, more of a close range self-defence weapon than an assault weapon.

Probably the only exception to this would be if it was paired to an automatic mechanism like the Pancor Jackhammer. But as few examples of the latter exist and have never seen combat, any information is dubious at best.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I just realized,
    [​IMG],
    would work quite well because you could design it as a 2 shell cylinder that does a 180 degree rotation and only holds 2 shells at a time in the actual cylinder, basically turning the cylinder into a mediator between the magazine(?) and the barrel. It would still have that revolver feel and makes waaaay more sense.

10. Mr. Weedy

Alceister, I just made my designs based on my feeling. What felt like good idea and what felt like unique idea with little bit of logicality in it.

All the rest didn't matter to me because in game that weapon can be done as effective as ever needed in whatever range.

And Jessiah. That would be a nice idea too. I think it would require quite much mechanisms to make it work well. Like how to get rid of the shells which have been fire and so on but I think that could be achieved by four hammers. Two kick forwards and when the cylinder rotates 180 degrees two other hammers kick the shells backwards and drop them out near the trigger.

Anyway, that's just the logical part ranting.

That sounds quite good idea actually. (Just that you would have to load two shells side by side at the same time if you didn't want to make reloading time take too long.)

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

When fired it would automatically rotate the cylinder like a revolver does, and the next shell would get pumped into the now empty hole (no idea what its called) that the shell sits in in the cylinder. If reloaded from empty, the cylinder would get rotated once the first shell was loaded.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a 4 shell in stead of 2 shell rotator would be more practical, top hole is the prime hole, left is where the previous cartridge is discarded from, right is where you can manually load 1 shell in to be the next one to prime, bottom is where the magazine loads its contents in

13. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

You guys have something against revolvers? A simple and efficient mechanism that positions and fires a round in one smothe motion. And using a speed loader like the one in half-life and Half-life2 make's reloading quik and believeable.

most of your ideas would be better suited to a spring and bolt action system. Why try to make a bioshock weapon out of this?

14. Mr. Weedy

BEHOLD the double barrel revolver shotty.

[​IMG]

I imaginated this when Jessiah said something about having two barrels. Basically now the shotty uses the 4 cylinder barrels more effectively. The kicker hammer which kicks the used shells out would be next to the firing barrel because it just fits there better and there can be easily arranged more space for it and it won't block loading shells.

Basically I designed this so that when the clip is full of shells and you pull the pump grab the following sequence will be done: 1. The cylinder will rotate 180 degrees lifting the shells in the lower holes if there are any and lowering the shells behind the firing barrels if there are any. 2. While you are still pulling the pump grab backwards, the white kicker hammers will kick the empty shells out of the gun and they will fly out from the rear of the gun as shown belove picture. 3. Kicker hammers are restored to their original position while you are still pulling the grab. 4. New shells are pushed in the cylinder ready to be lifted.

5. When you are pushing the pump grab away from yourself the cylinder will rotate 180 degrees lifting the newly loaded shells behind firing barrels.

Fire, repeat.

The just fire shells are lowered and kicker hammers will kick them out and so on. So basically when you are pulling the pump grab there are four work steps it does and one when it is pulled.

[​IMG]

I came up with one problem in this design. How to keep the shells on their correct place so the cylinder may spin without jamming? Well, we could imaginate that when you are pulling the pump grab it will push the shells exactly the right lenght so they align perfectly with the lenght of the cylinder and we could also imaginate that the inside of the cylinder has some sort of mechanism which will grab the rear of the shell so it sticks to its place.

In reality this gun MIGHT work but it would require very complicated mechanisms thus making it less reliable but because this was designed for the game those things don't matter and everything which you can't see in the gun doesn't matter so who cares how easily this gets jammed or not?

So, logically this gun works and that's enough to be a game model. :)

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Are you on drugs? It wont work. Stop now.
    draw your own gun from scratch.

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Vess, you seem to be ignoring the fact that your NOT designing a pump action shotgun. Last time I checked the shotguns are gonna be pump. Making your design useless from an implementation standpoint (I get the impression you want this made and implemented, maybe I'm wrong).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

You've all gone mad! Stay away! I don't want to catch your insanity!

18. Mr. Weedy

Lol. All what I just did gave some other versions of your gun and ideas how to reload the gun.

And I have stated couple of times that you may use those ideas to make new drawings which use that same methods as my ideas.

It doesn't matter how stupid or insane some idea is, all what matters is that is the idea logical in the game standpoint and how unique it is.

Also I would have drawn my own guns but it was way more easier to use your gun image and modify that because I'm not good at drawing and as you can see I mostly did just copy pasting and smudging on those drawings of mine.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make it like [​IMG]

pulling the lever = pumping, and moves the chamber cylinder 1 place further

20. Mr. Weedy

Sure that kind of design would work too but there would be one problem with this and Empires. How to tell Empires when you want to load and fire two bucks and when you want to load and fire one buck?

Maybe it could be done somehow like you have to press right mouse button so the gun pumps one more time so you can shoot two shots at the same time.

Blizzerd. I think that would work too.