NF Shotgun Concept

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why?

What's the difference between flicking the drum sideways and putting things in and taking the drum out and replacing it other than the second one is much easier to animate and allows for a faster reload?

Whether or not it's a revolver is indicated by the revolving cylinder, not how you reload it.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I always thought it would suit BE more to have a small caliber auto shotgun.
    NF gets the slow reloading bulky shotgun with high damage and BE the small
    and more versatile one.

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Revolvers don't use drums. It's called a cylinder. I guess thats the cause of the confusion. I had the impression, and I think Vess did too, that you meant drum like on the BEAR. TBH, being able to change the whole things seems out of place for NF. They have very limited resources, they would use the speed loader instead since its easier to make and means less is wasted when discarded. The weapons need to fit the factions.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Who says it's discarded? Keep the old cylinders and reload them later, it's more mechanically simple and means less is wasted than throwing away the little speedloaders.

Having to empty a revolver and reload it mid fight isn't practical, especially not when it's a huge rifle because I can't imagine shaking a whole rifle to dislodge the old shells.

You could easily design it with a top break like a double barreled shotgun except you slot in a new cylinder instead of cartridges.

It's also a quite unique way of doing it, which adds to the overall coolness of the weapon.

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

That does sound good, but in this case it's up to Vess since it's his concept.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

why are we still posting in the thread?

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Cause he's particle animator and coder. Not infanrty balence

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Why did you bold the 'la'? That's been driving me mad. Is there a hidden message D:

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

I was highlighting the fact that it is balance, not ballence.

And you're a community concept artist. Your point?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

His point is that it isn't your job to balance things but it is his job to come up with ideas, therefore whether or not you disagree with the balance doesn't negate the potential of the idea.

It's not exactly difficult to change the number of slots on the cylinder, or really that neccesary to change them, you can do most of the balancing by changing the way the projectiles work, how many, how much falloff, how damaging they are etc.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

When he makes a post about his work, he cant force people to not comment.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

So how does this concept improve on the one Megel modeled in any of those ways?

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It doesn't although it's easier to add more cylinders than it is to add more barrels and it is also different from the shotgun pistol which personally I think is sensible, you don't need a gun which is basically a bigger version of an existing gun.

Also I like it better, megels looks 200 years out of date for all that it appears to be a solid model.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Why would you add more barrels to Megel's? D:

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Isn't his an underover two shot?

Can't remember how his worked exactly other than it was made of wood and looked like something from PVK2.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's a single barrel with a tube magazine.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In that case I reiterate my earlier point that I like this one better.

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

And that would allow a more customize able clip size. The issue is simply the gun looks to old. I know people will argue that identical weapons are boring, but they work. BE shotgun=NF shot gun. I came up with a design that would allow BE and NF to have similar clip sizes and reload times. Thus shotguns are balanced. the rest of the traits are workable to balance with the rest of the guns.

Arklansman:"And you're a community concept artist. Your point?"
    My point was just because a Dev post's his opinion doesn't mean he speaks for the entire team. I wasn't belittling your position at all

19. Gen. Lee Outrageous

Gen. Lee Outrageous Member

the shotgun you made makes me drool, i love it.

some guns 101 for you, this is a clip
    http://www.g6csy.net/c96/stripper-clips.jpg

internal ammo storage is always called a magazine, unless its a revolver then its cylinder.

20. Dan (FangZandith)

Dan (FangZandith) Member

Lee, that's a type of a clip, it's called a stripper clip in laymen. A clip is what fits into the magazine of a firearm.

Chris, the fact is a speed loader style is more economical unless the drums you're using are made of composite cheap materials. The speed loaders are easy to put into an "ammo dump" which equates to a pouch on your gear. The revolver design if done well is a pain to make, but an ultra rugged weapon, requiring only a few springs and gears. Unfortunately it needs to be made relatively precise, else you're going to be a mega fucking unhappy camper when your barrel mushrooms out and shreds your face and arms to pieces with shrapnel.

Lee, I apologize if I was put offish or high and mighty with my post, I think there was a misunderstanding on my part in your writing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009