nf rax again

Discussion in 'Art' started by SirSnipes, Sep 2, 2009.

1. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2009-09-02

2. Empty

Empty Member

In general it's ok, but the sandbags still look bad.

3. communism

communism poof

Also I could imagine that pole being very annoying during a game, I know that has nothing to do with why your posting this but still
    Anyways your gettin better keep practicing

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

give it larger doors , it would be too easy to cluster inside with only one dude being able to get out at a time

5. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

damn those sandbags are huge

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I like that it uses new textures, and the overall shape is excellent, however as pointed out, the sandbags are too big, and don't look that great.

Also, this is a personal thing, but I hate how people can climb on top of buildings and hide, hence those boxes make me a sad panda

7. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

ill put some sandbags or a smaller box on the box blocking it so no climbing

8. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Below are my comments, clearly annotated:
    Click for high res, you will need high res to actually read it.
    [​IMG]

Didn't add to the image that the sandbags are a bit big because and he holes need to be raised higher.
    Just realised the image isn't so clear about what is wrong with the crates, the top crates aren't resting on anything and assuming they have stuff in them (even if they don't) they would most definitely not stay upright.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The crates suck, its the same on each side. Position things a little randomly prop wise so it doesn't look like you made half a barracks and mirrored it.

10. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

I concur. Remove the crates on the sides and maybe place 2 or 3 of them randomly outside to provide some small extra cover.

On this note, why not remove the sandbags from the walls and put them a tiny bit further outward, so you can go outside and take cover behind the sandbags?

11. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

I don't like the design, it's totally different from what vess made. It looks horrible, big sandbags, big crates, weird thick flag pole, the windows, ect.

Please, just copy the design of vess and draw that, that one looked best.

EDIT: I would see this work as a map prop,

12. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

But it IS the one Vess did.

Here is a relink:

[​IMG]

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Considerably better than the first one, more detail, better proportions etc.

Sandbags still look like ass however, and your crate stacking is weird, one of them appears to be defying the laws of physics.

Sandbags are not rigid, they change shape to fill the holes in the wall, that's why they're used, because you don't get giant holes in your defensive wall, they are also not piled up using a set square, they are heaped, not geometrically arranged.

It's also still a tad too cartoonish, you're exaggerating things, there are no fine details, the bunker holes have that strange ridge around the edges and the general style is still rather CnC-ish (although so is the original concept, which is the main reason apart from it being too generic that I don't like it).

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

when doing the sandbags, create a solid wall, then detail it into sandbags by taking out grooves, dont stack up objects because that gives it the assy look

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually stacking up objects is probably the best way of making sandbags.

The point is don't stack them up like that, stretch them to fill gaps, squash them a bit to make them different thicknesses, vary the spacing, add random deformation.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

chris trust me when i say when modelling that's NOT the way to make sandbags

at least that's my opinion! (strongly)

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

My poly-count-rape sense is tingling...

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's how all high quality sandbags that I know of are made, and it's also the best looking method I know of, and even less high quality sandbags usually add a number of these around the edge to break up the outline.

It has the disadvantage of being more polycount intensive than the method of making a more or less flat brush, adding random deformation, and then applying a sandbag wall texture to it, but for numbers of sandbags this size which can be LOD scaled quite easily, the other method is perfectly acceptable.

You don't need to use more than fourteen quads for each bag, I'd use eight or ten where possible.

Check out games like armed assault 2 or other modern war games.

Example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  19. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

how can we get nice sandbags that wont RAPE poly count

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

By using the method I suggested...

Assume you use 20 tris per bag, which is 10 quads, a cube uses 6 so that would give you a rectangle you can bend, or with rounded edges.

That would give you 75 bags in 1500 tris, with 75 sandbags you could make a small wall around the structure, of course you would be better served by using them where the visual detail would actually be noticed.

If you want detail you need to add polies, otherwise you don't get detail, you can't have it both ways. A structure is a very large object that players will be very close to so you need to use lots of polies to make it look good, regardless of what anybody else tells you about the need to never use lots of polies.

You don't use polies wastefully, but you do use them where they need to be used. I wouldn't be telling you to do something if it was stupid.