NF Interceptor Tank - My first script mod

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Drag0wn, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

On ImSpartacus' encouragement after I asked him about the custom vehicles on his server, I decided to try out doing this myself.

The NF Interceptor Tank is designed to kill Infantry/APCs - it has two size two MG slots, no cannons or missiles. It uses the Light Tank chassis/engine/movement script, the APC turret, and 3 units all around armor. It costs 100 more than a med (400) to balance out what would otherwise be easily spammable mid-game and difficult to kill at that point. It is worth noting this tank does not have a second seat.

The motivation behind this came from memories of certain skilled players using NF light tanks late-game, as a distraction to delay heavies or run them out of ammo. I liked this concept a lot, but felt it needed some beefing up to last longer and perhaps go toe-to-toe with meds in a straight up fight, or hit and run against heavies while doing actual damage. First and foremost it is an APC hunter, moving fast while maintaining DPS.

I found that mounting 2 plasma MGs or HE MGs allowed about 30 total shots before overheating while moving with a fission engine (the most likely engine you'd use), so the firepower isn't tremendous, and cannot be maintained for a long period of time, but could commonly strip a few panels of armor or overheat a fighting heavy.

Feel free to comment or suggest things:D

Attached Files:

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Sounds like Riot APC's from way back when.

3. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Yes, identical gun setup. But I wanted a fast, nimble later game tank, not lumbering thing. Empires already has those ;)

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

wait custom vehicles on his server? Like you joined his server and it worked for you as well as him?

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

if its on the server... your computer downloads the script files... if I remember right. Thats how tricksters engine scripts can work for you when he only updates the server.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If identical scripts are on both the server & client, then you can do whatever you want.

You remember when we both used your "Fuck You Gun". We had identical scripts, so it worked perfectly for us.

Speaking of scripts...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

It'd be interesting if there was a way for Empires to update vehicle_chassis.txt while the game was running, or perhaps find a way to make vehicle_chassis.txt a folder that contained separate vehicle chassis that the game could load and play.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That's only because engine speed, heat, and cooling don't have a visible effect in empires, but visible things like having more objects in the vehicle menu or using different particles can't be done that way.

9. ViroMan

News flash!
    Using vehicle_flushscript on the server DOES work and everyone gets the updated vehicles live. :)

10. ImSpartacus

But it only flushes the HL2/Source Physics-y script and not the Empires-y one.

11. ViroMan

This is true but, the one it does update is the most important to playability I would say. A map reload fixes the other one.

12. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Now that server issues are out of the way, any comments about the vehicle?;)

13. ImSpartacus

I'd say it's too fast. That's why I used the medium chassis & medium engines. The speed difference between LTs & Mediums is huge.

But I didn't come up with that idea. I think it was Weedy.