NF fighter

Discussion in 'Art' started by jongscx, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jongscx

jongscx Member

Alrighty... since my foray into mapping has gone down the tubes, I'm taking on modelling for now.

I start off with quick sketches first, but I haven't scanned those in yet.

I do have some quick models though, so I'll post those now, and incrementally the others as they go along.

I usually pick key-words to create a theme for my designs, and this one was no different. First, I thought about the NF vehicles, and came up with a list of adjectives:
    Crude, older, retrofitted, rough, functional, powerful, durable, hulking, proven tech.

My idea for the fighter was basically that it was a good conventional jet plane that was converted for hovering in response to something that BE rolled out. I used the Mig 17 as a starting point model and added the ducted engines in the back and lifters in the wings. The awkwardly high tail was added because of the rotating ducted fans in the back, further adding to the "retrofit" idea of the aircraft.

Weapon-wise, NF isn't exactly subtle, taking cues from their heavy, that has weapons sticking out of it, I decided to have the weapons outside of the airframe. You can see the quad MGs in front and the dual rocket pods on the wings. I am still designing missiles, but those will probably look like sidewinders and be placed under the fuselage.
    Another possible configuration under debate is to place the MGs IN the wing, then bombs and missiles under wing.

I didn't add too much detail as it's rough, but I did some of the pipe detail on the ducted fans. I'm thinking some extra roughness on the wings as well, leading to the lifters, and some details on the fuselage.

Right now, I'm really having trouble with the fuselage. I've tried different forms, but it's either looked too might like a space-ship, a hotdog, or an egg... still tweaking it. I think that going back to the actual Mig 17 fuse, including the front-intake might be the best idea.

[​IMG]

Here's the individual parts...

Wing:
    [​IMG]

Ducted fan:
    [​IMG]

Rocket pod:
    [​IMG]

Alright, as usual, suggestions plzzz

2. Omneh

Omneh Member

NF fighter has already been done mate...

3. jongscx

jongscx Member

not entirely yet... last I checked, we're still in the planning stages :-p

4. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

nope check dev blog, they have the full version and its been tested in game in low polie, all their after is BE stuff

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

The place where the pilot sits in reminds me of Spore..

But as said, NF fighter is already done. Focus on BE.

6. jongscx

jongscx Member

'doh

Oh well, I can spam my BE designs too...

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

Uh, BE fighter has already been done as well :/

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like the model but it isnt in line with the overall empires design.
    You should look how the other vehicles of the 2 faction look like.

9. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I agree with Mayama.
    Also, Bioshock, anyone?

10. jongscx

jongscx Member

I was actually kinda pleased with myself b/c this design went in the same direction as the raven... (just imo :-P)

These are looking too clean b/c they're just roughed out right now. I'm using Bryce, which uses primitives to build up everything. It's a ridiculously shallow learning curve, but also not very powerful in terms of details, etc. I can't even manupulat the individual vertices or mirror objects, if that gives you an idea. Complex curves and other stuff that would be relatively easy to draw on Maya or blender take a dozen or so primitives being added/subtracted from one another...

it makes great landscapes though :-D

11. bctech

bctech Member

meh looks a little too round and cartonish also

here is the first vote to name all empire mods planes after various mid east cultures.........................................................................................................................................................

or after birds