"Next-Generation" Consoles

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Al Fire 101, Jul 18, 2006.

?

Consoles: Which will you buy

1. Nintendo Wii

22.9%
  2. Microsoft X-Box 360

6.3%
  3. Sony Playstation 3

12.5%
  4. Wii360

8.3%
  5. PSWii

4.2%
  6. Both the 360 and PS#

8.3%
  7. PSWii60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. None of these inferior machines

33.3%
  9. Giant Enemy Crab

4.2%
  1. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Which one(s) will you buy?

2. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I can't wait to play with my Wii.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

None of them look particularly impressive.

4. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Crap, I just posted this a half second ago and two replies, holy s***!

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, what my take on the whole thing is, games are getting more beutiful by the second, and it's getting to the point where if a game looks good, it's not as hard to get better reviews, more buyers, and more sales. Even if that game is shit. Golden Shit. I always thought FarCry was sweet, everyone said it was cool, and it looked awesome. Until I played it on the PC. I didn't think it looked that spectacular, and I got annoyed by the gameplay very fast.

What I'm saying is, the PS3 is basically like "We are Gods." Which is all fine by me, if it is ACTUALLY good. All those videos (every single one, even the Killzone 2 video which I wet my pants watching) can be pre-rendered pipe dreams. None of it says it's actual gameplay. The only actual gameplay I've seen from E3 (with some people playing it) is a crashed Ps3 that a guy was asking some staff about. Yeah....

The 360, with not as good as graphics as I nearly expected to be in the start, had a rough launch. IMO, when the 360 came out I was like "Good thing I didn't waste my money." Not really any good games (CO2 and Oblivion are PC titles; to me, those don't really count because you can call them ports, and if anything the PC version is always better in most cases). However, it has a lot of potential for having many features gamers can use, albeit right now it's kind of lackluster. If you go to downloads, there's plenty of downloads, just not that many demos, and in fact, it's mostly crap like gamer pictures or something. Since the 360 doesn't have a steady supply of developers, not that many new demos come out (Maybe 30-40 have come out, but there are plenty of games coming out with no demos). I've seen some of the stuff coming to 360 though, and it looks wayy better then what's out now. No, Gears of War isn't what I'm talking about. That game seems like the frustrating GRAW + monsters. It's Lost Planet. I played the demo, and it looks Be-a-utiful.

Finally, Nintendo not only predicted this curve, but they planned on it and enacted it. They realised that games are going all graphics, and starting to be expensive and less satisfying. And so, the Wii is focused on gameplay, by re-inventing the console. In fact, Nintendo has said that they are focusing less on graphics and more on the consumer, by going with the cheapest price and games we will love.

Before you start thinking of the dinky, childish games that are usually prone to camp the Nintendo market, let's think of a term: 3rd Party. Nintendo is going with more 3rd party developers, a huge improvement over the Game Cube. We can expect to see games from Ubisoft, Bungie (maybe?), and Sega working on titles, those are just a few. Ubisoft is making the game that I will hopefully buy the Wii for.

Red Steel.
    Imagine actually pointing your gun around, and shooting people. Not with teh ghey noob sticks, as Jeremy would say, but actually getting headshots by leaning around a corner and pointing the gun gangster style at someone's head. Then imagine having a sword fight, finishing the battle by slicing the throat of your enemy with the controller.
    And so, to conclude, I voted to buy the 360 and Wii, because I can buy the Wii right now, and later, once 360 gets some momentum, and of course when Halo 3 comes out, and it's cheaper, I will buy the 360.
    Note: I'm not making any purchases until all three consoles are out and until my friends buy them to let me play them :D

Initiating the console post-war.....NOW!

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

My roommate has a 360, and while its graphics are better, it doesn't have anything to justify getting one.

7. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Yet. Notice how I said that right now there isn't very much to a 360, even it's graphics. If Microsoft planned it, good for them, but the roll out of the 360's killer apps and big package will coincide very close to the Wii and Ps3 launch. This way, the 360 gets ahed on the competition, but they also will be the big dogs on campus when all the other consoles come out.

Doesn't matter, I'm getting a Wii first anyways :D

8. Darg

Darg Member

Halo 3.

If I had the money I would buy an Xbox 360 when the PS3 comes out. I assume there will be a slight price drop to combat the PS3s release. After a while I would buy a PS3 when that comes down in price too for the better graphics and MGS4.

9. ^Dee^

halo 2 sucked ass and H3 isn't out till christmas next year or something.

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Darq, I'm basically doing what you're doing, but I'm waiting until the near Halo 3 release to buy one, to ensure the lowest price, and to hopefully get a Halo 3 bundle :D Also, I'm not buying Halo 3 on release day. Halo 2 reminded me of what a big ass disapointment can be. So, I'm having to be careful nowadays...

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

yeh someone i know also has xbox 360 with xbox live, funny thing is the only games that he plays online are fps, who the hell plays mp fps games on a console? I play Q4 multiplayer on the pc and I dont see why anyone would want to do that on xboxlive

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If i get a console, I'll be going Wii all the way. I have my PC for graphical and intese games, i want a console i can have fun with my friends on. The Wii looks just like that. I must say that I've always favoured Nintendo, so i'm somewhat of a fanboy, but I'm also cheap, and a next-gen system for as low as $250 CAN? That's fantastic, it's just what I'm looking for.

I think sony's really gonna feel the heat, which might be good. It took nintendo two less than stellar consoles to get to the Wii, maybe sony needs to learn some new lessons.

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I agree with you Knight. Sony has basicall done the same thing for the last 3 consoles.
    "We have better graphics!" Which still suck compared to a PC.
    "We only allow a few people to play!" Their new console has a rumored 7 ports, WTF! Still, I'm sure it's a pain in the but to get them plugged in, because Sony likes to only have 2 ports on their console, in order to make you buy extra crap.
    "We don't have anything to offer except copies of stuff on other consoles" Like internet, it sucked ass on PS2 (Socom. Ok, that's one game. Name the 100+ like Xbox had on Xbox Live), and movement through the controllers. I can't believe they decided to announce that RIGHT after Wii said there controllers were movement based...

And yes, Knight, if people want good graphics, they aren't gonna look towards a console. That's why PS3 will bomb.

14. Chahk

Chahk Member

I hate all consoles with a passion. Ever since 15 years ago, when I bought a used Sega Gensesis for my little brother and tried a few games, I've developped a deep loathing for the console controllers. Having been an avid computer gamer since way back when, I just can't play FPS or RPG games without a mouse/keyboard or Driving and Flight Sim games without a joystick.

In terms of "other" functionality of the new consoles (e.g. DVD playback, network connectivity, etc.), I'd much rather build an HTPC for my living room.

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

You know, that's why the Wii is reinventing the console. They said in an article that according to research, the actual gaming community was kinda shrinking in like ages 12-24, and so they figured they would need to attract peope who hadn't played that many games or hadn't played in a long time.

No more gay anolog sticks or thumb pads, this time, it's swinging the controller for you sword, and pointing your Wiimote for the gun.

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

These console wars are making me sick... Atleast sony has finaly decent competition... but their attitude is horrible, They lie, they cheat, they copy... and they do "Teh Massive Dmage" on "Gaint Enemy Crabs!!!1one"

And the whole deal with sony and bluray is discusting, all theese companies making consoles into "Uber leet machines" and by the word of sony "We dont need the PC anymore" Forget all the crap, give me a GAMING console not a toaster oven with a built in coffee machine.

For this generation of consoles I think nintendo deserves a gaint kudos...

17. ^Dee^

If sega became nintendo exclusive and went back to their design routes for their games, I would definately buy a nintendo

18. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Dreamcast 2 :) *hehe* I got a 360, i dont really play it much, also found an old xboxlive card my bros got for their xbox and never used it so i activated it on my 360, but ya im looking forward to GoW, Mass Effect and Lost Planet (which was a pretty neat demo, just a few flaws tho).

But im waiting for the N-Rev(i refuse to call it the Wii)

"MutantMaggotX -gamertag for 360 <<"

19. sgman

sgman Member

i dont think i would enjoy the wii controller. somhow it seems like it would get annoying to have to swing you arm around all the time to playing anything. i just thing of when i play them every once a year in an arcade, play about 1 or 2 times and thats enough for me.

when i get one it will probably be a 360 because of 2 things.
    1) when ps3 comes out it will be much more expensive and the games are going to be upwards of 70 dollars(more like 80), that is what the developers have sayed because they are going to use higher quality disks, but i cant tell the difference.
    2)by the time ps3 comes out xbox will have gotton all the bugs out and the game developers are going to start using the real power.(did you know call of duty 2 olny used 1 of the 3 graphical cards in the xbox.) the ps3 will also have system bugs that will have to be ironed out just like every other system.

20. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

actually its 3cpu cores not 3 graphic cards silly goose :P
    and also the xbox had 1 733mhz cpu
    360 has a 3core 3.2ghz sharing a mesely 1mb l2cache ;/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006