New website is live

Discussion in 'News' started by Kylegar, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Use vipers, or ask them, vipers is the best, and will always be the best because it was the first server I was on and axeman was commander and he kicked ass and he told me how to spawn after it claims that the spawn point is blocked. Because of their noob friendlyness It is awesome and should show the world empires. plus it won't lag with 48 as opposed to 63.

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Welcome to default drupal. It sucks.

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Like I clarified in a later post, I think it looks fine. It's not great, but I wouldn't say bad. I was referring to pushing the site into a subdirectory. It looks noobish IMO.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Oh, well, that's what SEO is for...

And I do think it looks bad. It looks generic, which is bad. You make your site look generic, people might very well think of empires as generic..and my issues with empires aside, it's certainly not generic.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Well get off your lazy ass and fix it then.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It is more up to date than old site (far more) and looks better than some mod sites. Good enough for temporary solution.

The biggest problem that I've heard about from people visiting old website wasn't how it looks but that they thought mod is dead because website had no updates since a year.

7. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

I don't really like it, it's too blank and basic and WHITE. White doesn't really fit this mod.

8. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

The original website had style. This new one is about as interesting as a phone book.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

mmm local buisnesses.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Nah, 4 should be "RTFM NEWB!" Just to let them know their position in advance :D

Is there an official IRC channel for Empires where I can discuss the mod in depth with other fans?
    Better: ... bitch about tiny details of the mod with other addicts? :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Its funny 'cause its true...

12. ATIX

ATIX Member

^ Truth! By the way I am a CMS whore! and I've experimented with more than 30 CMS's so far the best one I Would Recommend you guys using instead of drupal is Concrete5, it runs like butter seo/easy to maintain slash customize.

Also Empires Mod needs Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more publicity with an Epic website, It's a Very good mod, entertaining me over 5 hours straight, in preference over any other source mods...

Anyone know why isn't this mod on steamworks ?
    http://store.steampowered.com/freestuff/mods/

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

because its not implemented yet. actually devs promised 2.25 (next version) to contain the steamworks stuff, but all that drama that lead the development process to cease for almost a year and the desperate need for (imo just balancing would have been enough anyway) a patch will delay it for yet another version ...

... at least if the current devs dont lose interest/get trolled away/eliminate themselfs by internal drama again that is ofc :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Steamworks is among the top priorities. That and a lot of gui work.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Mortar does more damage. 15 more.

I also don't see why steamworks is so important. Empires is more popular after nearly a year without a release than nearly every single other mod. Steamworks should come after it's not only really polished (GUI etc) but also when we have a way to "preserve" the community we have. Steamworks will flush empires with new players and that could drive a lot of people off. I've heard about it happening with MAG for the PS3. So some sort of system (other than a passworded server that we all know about) that lets all of us oldfags stick together would be nice first. Something simple like a server requirement based on how long you have to have played for in total. Newb server: 0 hours. Normal server: 10 hours. Vet server: 100 hours. And obviously have that track for about 2 versions of empires. Most if not all servers would use the newb setting because they just want people, and vet server mode would probably rarely get used due to there simply not being enough vets. But a newb having 10 hours of play under his belt would do wonders to not piss everyone else off.

Also, back on topic. As long as the website is revamped before any big media push, there's not really a big problem. It's functional and doesn't look like it was made in Frontpage 2000 like the old site.

As for sourceTV, it used to crash and spectators still can't watch the commander which relates to source TV. If it was fully working and we could have 65 slots, I'd be more than happy to put it on emp main, and I've no doubt VIPER would do the same. ELC probably too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

can we PLEASE do something about Empires website, it looks like a kid took a template and spent 5 mins on it to make it as it is now. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the fact that its updated, it just needs more then 5 minutes of work.

Also I will kiss who ever takes off the damn redirect... its pissing off my Firefox(and by proxy, me!) I have to keep hitting accept to allow it to redirect to that childish page.

17. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

If none else does it until the 21st, I'll have time to do it.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm hoping steamworks might bring us modellers, which is the thing we need most for Empires. If it had a team of modellers 2 years ago, this would probably be very near to being the top multiplayer mod of source.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

This mod is probably the most populated source mod after PVK II, no joke, open age of chivalry and there are 40-50 people on, eternal silence 17, Insurgency 40-50, dip-rip 2, I haven't played a lot of other mods but AoC, ES, Insurgency, and dip rip are all under different genres of style so its okay to pull statistics from those. Steamworks isn't such a need then and those mods have steamworks.

20. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I liked the old design :(