New Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea I tried it all. Misfire and I are going to trouble shoot it tonight. Granted, I only put an hour into it before I started working on the house.

2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Errrr, immediate SOS @LordDz_2. I broke it somehow. I got it spawning in but it looks nothing like a corn field... I'll get a pic up here in a sec.

Edit: NVM I got it. Thanks for all your help!

Edit 2: RIP. They show up on Hammer, but do not show up in game. I made sure the texture of the models is "UnlitGeneric" as well.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Does the hammer compile log say anything?

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you might just be too far away. the default for cl_detaildist is 1200

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I don't think this is the issue because I was well within the entire map where I spammed corn.

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I'll get the compile log for you when I have a free moment.

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I forgot to say, I got it working but it will not work for what I need it to do, sadly. Back to placing corn...

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Will be posting .bsp's here soonish, probably within the next week or two. Need extensive testing so these can replace that old tutorial.

I'll post some screenshots here later from the tutorials because I'm going to go do stuff now.

What will need testing:
    Make sure you can't go out of the map.
    Make sure it's comprehensive, IE it teaches you how to make a tank, how to switch class, how to place buildings etc.
    Make sure you can't get around the necessary things.
    Make sure it's not too hard with the bots... Idk if I can really change this one.

I'm going to post them without 3d Skyboxes. Silk, the wonderful mapper, is going to do those for me so the version I post for testing WILL NOT have those. It shouldn't really change much though.

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

TEST THIS PLEASE

KNOWN ISSUES:
    1. Bots spawn in funky places and not at their set spawn for some reason.
    2. Bots sometimes wander off.
    3. APC turret spins uncontrollably. This probably isn't fixable but OH WELL.

PLEASE TEST THE ABOVE! The more tests we get, the quicker this goes in.

I was going to post the main lobby for it to test that, but I guess that stopped working sometime during 2.13 and it's just continual crash after crash no matter what I remove.

Vehicle + Commandertutorial will hopefully be up soonish so long as I don't get crashes on them. I'm waiting on a video converted to a gif that is readable. If someone can, please record you making a BE med tank with ER + bioMG from a blank setup with no armor engine. Show you equipping armor, engine, and weapons and assigning weapon groups and cut it so its just the vehicle creation so I can put it in game as a gif as an "example". I tried, I failed, I need someone else to help me.

This tutorial, when all done, will not work on Servers. You can not put this new tutorial up to teach new people because it will require lots of map switches and if two noobs are trying to learn infantry and the other vehicles, they simply can not.

Take Screenshots, Videos etc of any broken shit you find.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Tested it. There's a lot to be said but, the most important thing is that the APC doesn't respawn... reliably? Seems to be that the bots don't spawn in the trigger reliably.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

1. Yes it's out dated, need to make a new one.
    2. Not done yet. I just need to know if setup/layout is good.
    3. Yes it is. It's not intended for you to go up there, will add shit.
    4. Yes.
    5. Will do.
    6. It was at one point, I must have fucked up.
    7. Cant target directly.
    8. Can't target directly.
    9. Will look into it.
    10. Not my fault.
    11. Will look into it.
    12. I missed that.
    13. Will fix.
    14. Will fix.
    15. Will try to fix it, not sure much more can be done. Maybe I can do a dirt path to the gazebo?
    16. Will fix.
    17. Yes it is. Need a new one.
    18. Yes it does, will ask.
    19. Not my fault, model problem.
    20. Will do.
    21. Will do.
    22. Will experiment with it.
    23. Tutorial bots are a tad wonky.
    24. Yes it is barren. Will look into adding shit.
    25. I forgot to add those. PYA mentioned this to me when he didnt have audio cues and didn't know why he couldn't go forward. I derped.
    26. Gonna set it so they don't respawn, but I thought I had it set that way.
    27. Blood on skybox I can't help. And actually, its on the green line texture.
    28. Yes you can. Will restrict going out that far.
    29. Will fix.
    30. Will fix.
    31. Yes it is. Will add a light.
    32. Yes it does, I'll look into it though Idk whats causing it.
    33. I'll try giving them shotguns I guess.
    34. It's suppose to bring you to the tr_tutorial2017Infantry hub. This hub is the same as the tr_tutorial2017main hub, but it sends you there after you complete the infantry tutorial to give you more specific VO. It's currently crashing and I have no idea why or I would have included it.

Thanks for feedback! Please do a numbered post next time/edit this one so it's easy to see which corresponds to which, rather than just bullets.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I honestly didn't expect there to be this many things, I went in with a mind to note the big things and then it spiralled out of control.

14. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

Was really wacky when I tested it.

The main thing was when i got close to the place the apc was supposed to spawn my game lagged out for like 5 seconds then I was put into the NF APC and was driving it. Don't know what happened.

+ the bots are like super annoying to play against.

My main thing that I want to emphasise is that there needs to be some visual representation of the current objectives like destroyer is saying.

As a side note thanks for letting me know about game_text destroyer.
    SetHudText never worked in sourcemod because empires is not on the list of supported games. If I add it in common.games.txt it works perfectly.
    This means I can use it in my plugins. For example have it say "draft mode" which stage it's in and a description without spamming chat. I can also have it say paused when the comm vote is paused. There are a tonne more uses that it has opened up. I was working on adding a bunch of overlays, but its a good job i stumbled on this thread.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Best I can do for visual representation is the commander target currently in. Can't do much more besides have the audio help.

I can do some more for the invisible barriers, but not much more.

Apc will be fixed next version for testing.

Any missing textures?

16. GregariousJB

GregariousJB Member Staff Member Web Developer

Just tested this out myself. It shows promise and I feel like it's on the right track - having players test out several classes and get to know basic abilities.

Have you given any thought to improving the immersion of the voice over? You could make it sound like a sergeant is giving a trainee (the player) orders through the map, or helping him get through it one piece. You could even add a radio distortion effect on the sergeant to make it sound more realistic.

I did the barracks ambiance voiceover for Trump when he was making new in-game sounds, although it seems it might have been reverted.

Here's an example of a radio voiceover: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0VXB6xqJvTOZmxMQU1CalNnVlU/view?usp=sharing

When you get closer to release and you have all the voice lines figured out, let me know if you want a hand with finishing the voiceover. You can also check out the /r/RecordThisForFree subreddit or CastingCallClub if you want more options.

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I just had a thought, do I make the ending a loading dock IE shipping containers and cranes instead of a park?

Also I just recorded the lines myself for right now. I'd be very welcoming to any help out in terms of VO. We have the scripts done if you want me to send it your way.

Edit: I will have V2 out tonight with some slight changes, mainly fixes from Destroyers post.

Edit 2: IF anyone is good with Photoshop/gimp/(even paint?), can I have some custom requests as well? I need some stuff made for each tutorial.

Edit 3: I need these things:

"Shipping and Receiving" - in a cool style
    "Switch to Engineer"
    "Switch to Rifleman"
    "Switch to Grenadier"
    "Switch to Scout" (No one will ever say this.)

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

OKAY SO, Since Destroyer brought this up that the ending area is just immediately grass and it doesn't go well, I redid it entirely. Will post a screenshot soon.

It's now a shipping dock.

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

HERE IS AN UPDATED MAP. PLEASE TEST.

Fixed most complaints I believe. Made most areas off limits. Improved the visual cues.

What needs testing:
    Did I fix bots completely?
    Does it flow better?
    Does it look better?
    What is boring looking?
    What could use some spicing up?

LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU FOR TESTING.

This took me two hours to do a total redesign of half the map. Yay.

If someone can, please take a screenshot of the redesigned area and upload it here for me. I'm not able to for 16 hours now and I didn't have time.

Will be looking for translations as well eventually, message me if interested.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

That's actually correct:
    -StaticPropLighting makes each vertex have it's own light

Doesn't always work wonders though, but i use it in all my maps as it often is slightly better