New testers group

Discussion in 'Archive' started by rampantandroid, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I have a suggestion:

When I tried to test out 2.1...no one was ever on...2.1 ended up going out ill tested..resulting in all these crashes, and 2.11 has only fixed some. As such, I think the blame goes on the lack of proper testing...and I'd like to suggest that we really get the testers group to people SERIOUS about testing...who can all find a time to hop on and just test.

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I think the holiday season is part to blame; as many people includig myslef were away most of the time; and did not get a chance to test, nevermind play Empires...

3. Lithium

Lithium Member

that and lack of dual empires support *shakes fist in air*

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

lol; how would infantry work in dual monitor? I got 2 screens and I can't live without the 2nd one anymore...

5. Kamber

Kamber Member

lol, I believe he is talking about dual installs no dual screens :rolleyes:

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

In that case add dual screens :p

7. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

- The server was constantly empty.
    - I was too lazy/lacking the knowledge to make another Empires folder to test it.
    - We need to have a standardized testing time.

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Agreed

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i do very much blame the holiday season. In a week (or sooner) I'll be back on schedule. But in the meantime, new RCs should have PUGs, at the very minimum, like the 2.0 RCs. So yes, a scheduled testing session is a very good idea.

10. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Holidays were to blame for me not being there, but now I'm back and ready to test.

11. REX

REX Member

The only one I didnt really start up and try was RC 4. Before that it ran very well for me. Did we even get a week before the final one was released ? it felt like only a few days went by.

Also how many people do we actually have in the testers group ? and how many are still active ?.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  12. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

In fairness, there was only a few days to test, over hogmany no less.

13. Valiant

Valiant Member

The thread title gave me an idea. Almost no one knew that new testing was going on. Why not make a steamfreinds group and use the announcements thing to tell us about RC's?

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

We need PUGs. Plain and simple. I don't mind changing my Empires folder names back and forth, but if I have to change, wait till Steam is loaded into my 256MB of RAM, wait till Empires is loaded only to find out there's nobody on, I won't do it.

And this is a message to Krenzo: I have seen you writing something like "People are to busy playing 2.0 to playtest" ingame. I fully understand your criticism. But we signed up as playtesters. You are our "boss" in a way, and it is, in a way, our job to show up to a PUG if you tell us to.

If you want us to playtest, make a post that says "I want you to go on server X tomorrow at Y o'clock and playtest."

I mean, what's the point of having 100+ testers if they're not around to test?

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That's a decent idea, telling people when to go on the server. There were many attempts at PUGs, but they just didn't fly. I played 2.1 quite a bit, but I never had crashes like i had when it went public. RC 4 to 2.1 final happened really quickly, but I understand that was because of the Moddb vote.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

RC 4 didn't change must as I understand it...I only got to test RC's 2 and 4 tho.

17. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Meh, I just deleted all my empires files because I got the folders so messed up..... :rolleyes:

Yeah, if we set up a steamfriends group, then we can have official PUGs and also set up games using the chat and stuff! >:) Who else votes for a steamfriends group?

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

we have a steamfriends group!

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I was planning on only testing and not playing 2.0 because i didnt make a new folder and all that crap but everytime I would goto join the server it would be empty :(

we could blame the holidays and maybe because krenzo wanted to get it released before moddb votes ended.. But if we do this agian and still no testers show up for the PUGs then somthing aint right

20. TrItOn

TrItOn Member

Yay, new testing!? I wanna play/test again!:D