New summer scrim league, looking for interest

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Jun 9, 2016.

?

What's your preference, and are you a leader?

1. I'm a leader, willing and commited

9.1%
  2. Not a leader, but willing and commited

54.5%
  3. I want to do scrim league like last year

18.2%
  4. I want to try out squad league

45.5%
  5. I don't care about event set up, I just want more organized games

63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well summer is here again and it's a great time for more empire events. Before I go ahead and set it up I have to ask is there any interest? These events don't just require input from whoever is hosting and help from server owners, they require the players themselves to keep themselves up to date on what's happening. Not only that, but they really require leaders, people willing to lead squads, command, and potentially lead a whole team if they are up to the task. We tried last winter and they ended up falling through because lack of leadership, people who can motivate players to show up and do their best.

So this time I'm asking for anyone and everyone to talk to your friends and get leaders, not just the best players or players who show up to everything but actual leaders, to either come here or poke me directly and say they are willing to commit to a great summer of some of the best empire team play possible.

That said, there's also a slight question of how the event will unfold. Last year we did 2 teams, a captain and co-captain for each team, anyone can join but couldn't switch after joining a team, and played a couple of rounds each weekend. See this thread on the basic rules. Here was the last sign up thread, which might help give a better idea on teams and things.

There was this squad league I tried last winter but it ended up petering out because we lacked players and willing squad leads, most of the usual squad leads ended up being on the same squads. Click this for on how rules and sign up worked. Basically people organize themselves into squads, these squads stay permanent through the event, commanders who command on that map will choose squads at the start of every match. It's like a draft pug but with predetermined squads. Record keeping would just be for squads win/loses and commanders win/loses.

This was something I wanted to try again, but it requires quite a bit more effort on the players and generally more commanders, but because teams, and not squads, get shaken up more it could help create more varied games and help prevent feelings of impending loss which kills morale and prevents players from showing up, which is what felt like happened towards the end of the summer scrim league last year.

I'm fine with either one, vote in the poll or leave a comment on what you want to do and which event type you want. What's your preference, and are you a leader?

Last thing is I will probably get info on this for a week, then have sign ups for a week or 2, then have first game. So I would expect first game to be July 2nd. It's far off, but these things take time to organize properly. If people can work things out faster then we might be able to start June 25th, but I fully expect July 2nd to be first game.

2. Ranger

Ranger Member

I'm free after 30th of June. I would like to play a squad scrim league thing.

3. FN198

FN198 Member

Lazybum just start a clan already. I'm not interested in this.

4. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Happy and willing to lead, but may not be available for most of it... ;(

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

clans are poo

i just want to say if you have a game only on saturdays there may be days i might not be there because its saturday and a day for hanging with others

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

If you got a life you are too successful for Empires, I think.

I think Lazybum can definitely arrange a few games on Friday or even Sunday.

7. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Wait I'm the only one who voted for scrim league like last year? Last year was Quebec and X-Ray right? That was fun despite some failings.

I'd be quite interested in squad league as that is a concept I thought deserved more than it got.

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

Ι πρεφερ Σ;θαδ Λεαγθε οωερ ;θεβεψ ανδ Χ-Ραυ.

I prefer Squad League over Quebec and X-Ray. That's why I didn't vote for it, but of course anything is better than nothing, so I'm voting for that too.

9. Lazybum

Yeah, it might not always be saturday but it will definitely be sometime on the weekend. Friday feels iffy, I feel like I'm either going to get mostly europe players or schedule it way later and have more american players. This wouldn't be a bad thing itself if I could fill a server with either or, but considering who I expect to come to these events I'm certain it will end up with like maybe 20 people and I think most would rather much more then that.

10. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I might try playing. My skills however have gotten pretty rusty over time and as such, i might not be as good as when i was in the last summer scrim.

11. Metruption

Metruption Member

After finding out the thing that drove me away from this game 6 months ago was eradicated less than 24 hours after I left I'm ready to command every single game I play into the dirt.

12. Lazybum

I know it's only been a day, but knowing how signs ups like this usually work I fear neither of these types of events may happen. So in case I can't get enough leaders to actually say they do something I'll instead just do a few pugs with captains draft, but allow for preassembled squads. I wanted something a bit more consistent between games but it really does require much more effort on the players part. At least with this we can have much more organized games then what we usually see in pubs.

I'll make another announcement later in the day so more us players can see it, hopefully I get a few more bites. Otherwise I'll set up details on events on monday after seeing the results.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Squad league was awesome but it needs some tweaks, possibly a hybrid is best

for example make set squads of 3 players and 2 spots for randoms, and let commanders determine 'value' to all squads beforehand, so picking the best squad ever will mean the other team gets more players. then at the end fill all the squads that are only partially filled with randoms

and make a tally chart of the squads... its the squads that compete not the commanders.
    simple "part of a winning team" seems too simple... so what about the 'value' commanders attribute is added each time a squad is in a winning team, and only half is added if it is in a losing game? possibly match up squads with an "advisary squad" so if a commander picks that squad the other team has to pick the other squad automatically?

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

at least its only 10times as complicated ...

ontopic:
    personally id prefer just pugs with comm picking. as blizzerd knows already, ive issues with commitment (especially when im sure i wont make it to all the events)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  15. Metruption

Metruption Member

Some nice 3game PUGs would be the shit