New script testing

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Nickierv, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Im looking for a few people to test new tank balance scripts.

At this point, I just need to get a feel for how the new weapons and armor work and get some feedback. The research tree is not going to be part of the first test.

Note on the changes are in the zip file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3910011/Empires/ER scripts.zip

Update:
    Scripts are uploaded to the EGC but the server is having issues. PW is nicholas
    Be sure to back up the default scripts then replace the original with the test ones.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. Empty

Empty Member

-Move tank combat from point blank (0-500 units) to 5000-7000 units

Just in case anyone with high ping thought tank combat was hard enough as it is.

Interesting changes though, if you get a playtest, I'll play.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how would one go to increase the range of tank combat?

some ideas?

increase AOE? (so its easier to hit someone over range, and close combat might damage yourself)
    increase speed of projectile? (so its easier to hit someone over range)
    lower the damage/rate of fire? (so its harder to drive up to someone and barrage him to death)

i dunno, lets brainstorm?

4. Empty

Empty Member

I'd say he probably increased splash and made projectiles move faster.

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

For cannons: increased speed, decreased gravity = cannons can actuality get out to a target at range without needing to account for a 45 degree arc, trying to lead your target, and solve complex equations for kick while trying to doge shots. Even with high ping, at least the shots will be able to get out to the range.

For missiles: lock on faster and at longer range = you don't have to wait for 6-8 seconds to lock a target that is next to your tank, while faster speed lets you use unguided missiles that actuality have a chance to hit something.
    decreased the splash and fiddled with bio so it is harder to damage your own tank.

Tank based MGs are more accurate and deal more damage, but I may have over done it.

Armors should be more balanced and all have some weakness.
    Overall damage is split between anti tank (small splash, high damage) and anti everything else (high splash, slightly less damage and low damage on tanks).

For balance:
    BE heavy tanks get cannons with no kick (arty cannons with the same stats as the guns), seeing as the cannon kick is hard coded in.
    BE gets 3x2 cannons + 2x2 missile slots
    NF gets 3x2 missile + 2x2 cannon slots
    Fiddled with the armor so you can use more weapons and remove the research favoritism from research (as soon as the bugs get worked out and a few rounds get played) so weapon/armor/engine research is independent.

at least that is how it is supposed to work...

6. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Er... I am not quite sure what you are getting at with this.

As vehicles grow heavier your scripts change the growth in power from linear to exponential, but for weapons and armor.

You create at least a dozen unrealistically under-powered weapons, (like the bioMG which would take at least 4 minutes to kill an enemy heavy tank), while making some stupidly overpowered (like the HE Heavy MG which does 1000 damage per second). You have created no incentives for long range combat, merely a series of highly ineffective weapons with reduced gravity or grossly abusable lethality.

I see no particular insight which should be commended or aspect of this which should be adopted. Best I can tell it was just you screwing around with scripts with little thought on the matter.

7. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Damn, you gonna let Robo throw down on you like that?

Scripter fight !!!!

8. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

After a few setbacks, we got a good test run in. I found some problems that need fixing, and any additional feedback will be taken into account for further changes.

Issues that I don't know how to fix:
    Armor not showing properly on the CV and some tanks.
    4 slot weapons not working proprley

9. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Testing is on hold until this is fixed, as most of the balance relies on resists.

Once the resists are working, I will have another set ready.

10. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

On a whim I put the 2.24 armor with my weapons and tanks seem to be a lot more explode-able. On that note, I updated a lot of the changes that we found in the first test as well as a few new ideas.

Link to scripts:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3910011/Empires/ER scripts r2.0.zip

Unzip and move the scripts folder to the empires folder.
    Updates and notes are in the 'notes rv2.0.txt'

Big points if you don't read the notes:
    Research is still not working.
    Armor still has the same 2.24 issues.
    Hopefully fixed a lot of problems with over/underpowered weapons.

Tested a lot myself but solo tests can only go so far.