NEw Revive Icon Does Almost Nothing To Solve Revive Issues

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sneaky, May 21, 2009.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

The problem with revive is that it is completely useless WITHOUT teamwork and utterly overpowered WITH teamwork. It requires that the dying person doesn't respawn because if they do respawn then revive can do nothing, but if they don't respawn then revive gives them full health and a prone position from which to to kill whoever killed them.

The new revive icon tells the reviver where a person was killed. That's great and all, but the reason revive is fairly pointless is because, unless the revive engy was next to whoever got killed, they will respawn before the engy can get to them. It is never much of an issue to find the guy who gets shot, the issue is that whoever gets shot has no idea whether or not anyone around or near him has revive.

GIVE THE DEAD GUY A BIG FAT MESSAGE THAT A REVIVE ENGY IS NEAR AND GIVE HIM AN ICON OVER THE REVIVE ENGIES' HEAD.

That's all. Do that and you can lower the hp you get when revved down to 25 hp or something, possibly lowering the charge needed to revive to 40 or 35.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Also I don't think the revive actually works where the icon is. I always have to chase the corpse, which is confusing when the icon says to revive at the point of death.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

I'm pretty sure the bodys are client side too, so I'm not sure if you could hack the client so it transmits revive locations wherever someone is to the server at your location.

Always seemed weird to me.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

For me it helped a little :) .

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I just look around when I'm dead. If I don't see someone with calculator I wait a litte (depends on tickets and situation) and respawn.
    Don't see the need for this.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Yeah, you do. But the guy supposed to revive you, he doesn't. He doesn't even tend to look after your body. This thread is about making engineers revive you, not about you seeing engineers..

7. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Hey guess what SIP, it's not just you and me playing empires, there's other people too, people that absolutely cannot wait for ONE SECOND past the mandatory respawn timer, that have NO patience at all and WILL NO WAIT if they so much as SMELL that they might be waiting for nothing.
    These people are in fact the vast majority of empires, it's great and all that you pretend to be the perfect corpse, but in reality people respawn, in a hurry.

In fact I posit the "theory of respawn: The closer a revive engy is to a corpse the more furiously that corpse will click 'respawn'"

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

To me it really seemed as if the icons are helping out a lot. I'm getting revived pretty often now. Might have been a coincidence but i prefer not to believe that.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

While we're importing ideas from Enemy Territory, how about adding the ability to finish off corpses by doing some additional damage to them? The amount should be fairly high (like, not just 10 more damage or something like that), otherwise revive would be useless. Also, for the same reason, turrets shouldn't target corpses, if this is added.

But that would help with the other half of the equation. And also, maybe, give corpses the ability to 'tap out' by clicking while waiting for a revive, which makes them stop waiting, causes their revive icon to vanish, and makes it so they can't be revived. Some people don't want to be revived, after all.

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

When people don't realize, that the match was lost because of too many respawns, then someone has to tell them.

And if both team would be perfect at revive, we would have endless matches.
    And even sometimes after an endless stalemate, I'm glad if the last ticket is wasted.

I still see no need for this, but it also won't bother me if it was there.

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The way to avoid endless matches is through timers, not tickets. If both teams were perfect at not dying and healing and playing boring-defensively, we would have endless matches too.

CV sudden death is horrid and needs to be removed as soon as possible. Frequently, I've seen it happen when one team would obviously win in the next few minutes, but some idiot wastes their last ticket, and the game is turned into a coinflip. It's just a bad way to do it -- if you want matches to never go over a certain length, add a timer. Tickets, though, are not a good way to tell if a map has stalemated; all they tell you is if one team or both teams have a few noobs who are burning tickets unusually fast. That's an absolutely horrible way to decide games.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Since we have the new revive icon I get revived at least 2 times as often as bevor the update.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this could however be the "tf2 class X syndrome" though

something changed about a certain class or game mechanic, so now everyone wants to try it