New Research Scripts!

Discussion in 'Coding' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Dec 27, 2009.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Attention all Testers!

Tomorrow on the Darkest Dawn server, at 3PM EST, we will be testing RoboTek's refined research scripts. Anyone who would like to participate, please post here to let me know. The test is of the scripts discussed in this thread: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11186

We are looking to test on a few maps, to see how the research scripts balance out with different maps. Among others, cyclopean, duststorm, canyon, crossroads, and slaughtered are strong candidates. If anyone has any particular suggestions make them here as well.

Lets get as many people as we can, so that we can get a decent test of how the scripts balance!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Thor

Thor Member

/support.

Also, the Darkest Dawn server is named 'Headshotmaster's House of Rage' so you all know.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

4. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Watch this thread for the link to the scripts, and watch that thread I linked for any updates to the weapon abilities and tree structure. You will need to download the modified scripts folder to play (make a backup of your current scripts folder first!). If you plan to try your hand at commanding, It is REQUIRED that you have at least read the entire description of the new research tree!

5. conquestor

conquestor Member

/signed

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Moved to Scripting (cause thats where it belongs ;) )

7. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Kylegar, RoboTek wanted only people from the testers group invited, which was the point in it's location, and is related to the "I want something tested" thread I started in the RC forum.

Please move it back to the RC forum unless RoboTek specified otherwise, inwhich case pleas just delete my post here

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Well, the tester forum is open to everyone now, so there is no difference between it and this now.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

pwnd ^^ sorry cpatton

10. Thor

Thor Member

Below is the link to the scripts. Dont forget testing will start around 3pm EST. Please try to bring whoever you can, as it's crucial that we have them mass-tested across a few different maps for balancing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2114836/Test.rar

11. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

Today?

:confused:

12. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Yes today, at 3pm EST. That is in little more than an hour.

13. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

It's no problem to me if everyone comes, was just trying to be helpful ^^. The more, the merrier.

Please post feedback here. Have fun everyone!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You need to add all new chassis to the bottom of the scripts if you would. Until it's officially added or whatever preferably.

Also, if you can get with someone and get the vehicle chassis ID's so I can update my FDG with the new chassis.

The vehicle spawners takes everything in order listed in the scripts and assigns it a number according to that order, so if you add new chassis, the numbers mean different things. If you add them to the bottom of the list, it won't change anything with the vehicle chassis' numbering.

It will also be simple to add in weapons, chassis, armors, and engines to the smart edit in the FDG (or FGD or whatever).

It's more of a technical annoyance than anything else, but it can cause issues, like it did with the empirescup map today.

http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Emp_vehicle_preset <---- that's the entity this is causing issues with.

Also, If you can then comment the sections to be like //original scripts

//modified

//added

to make it more clear, I'm sure people who read the scripts themselves for whatever reason would appreciate it.

As it is, there are 15 chassis including the com vehicles, and the new scripts add MK III's, as well as MKII meds and heavies, so 21? tanks total.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

there is a limit to howmany tank chassis you can have

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If it is limited to 16 tanks, then some tank chassis need to be removed, but I believe it's 32. AU had several variations of tank chassis and they all worked iirc.

17. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I know it can handle at least a few more than I have currently. I have, begrudgingly, changed the vehicle order. I despise this because it doesn't make a lick of sense for them to be separated from their proper vehicles. That and maps which use vehicle spawners aren't quite what I am interested in testing right now.

The change has been made for the sake of compatibility.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Thank you and it is appreciated.

I know it doesn't make sense from that standpoint, but as the vehicle information is assigned numbers through it's order rather than it's name, it's unfortunately necessary for the sake of compatability with all current maps when testing.

Once things are finalized and if it's accepted as the new scripts, I'll galdly make the FGD changes and resubmit them for the entity though.

19. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

If I am right, then you can use a program to change map entities without having to compile them, this way you would simply be able to change the properties of the vehicle spawner entity(s) outside of hammer.

But unfortunatly I forgot what the name was, it was listed somewhere on the valve wiki in the same category as decompiler tools I think.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You don't need to compile entities.

I'm talking about the smart edit options, which are configured in the .fdg file.