New Music I've Composed for the Game

Discussion in 'General' started by =[KXIC]= Assquatch, Jan 14, 2017.

1. =[KXIC]= Assquatch

=[KXIC]= Assquatch Member

Greetings.

As some of you are aware, for the past few months I have been working on updating the music for Empires, by both updating the original tracks with better samples and composing some of my tracks.

Currently, none of my tracks have been implemented into the game, but Trump is working on a map, Trench Assault, and some of my tracks will be added there. Once his map is completed and finalized, I hope that that will serve as somewhat of a preview for the game with updated music, and whether you guys would like that or not.

In the meantime, I've made all of my completed projects available for public viewing on Soundcloud. I would love any thoughts and/or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (i.e., more than just "this doesn't work", or "I don't like this") you have for my music. If you think something else would work one way or another, or if you have ideas for additional tracks you would want done, I'm always open to suggestions!

I also recently became interested in writing short licks for specific points in the game too, such as when a team captures or loses a flag, or right before they win or lose. I will be posting more of these, and other general themes as I have time throughout the semester.

Access my music here.

Thanks!
    -AQ

Neoony and Avatarix like this.
  2. Avatarix

Why none of them were implemented? Were the devs reluctant or there was no need?
    Flag Captured and Lost would rather fit for Winning/Loosing round because of their epicness, but you could cut them to the first melodic repetition (or motiv, whatever it's called)
    Brenodi March sounds more like a theme music than march, but Jekotian sounds just like from military parade.
    In March Theme you could emphasize the drums even more (and maybe increase the pitch?)
    Off to the battle fits ideally for intro (tanks driving in the forest awaiting engagement or something like that).
    The rest of the tracks sound really good and WELL MADE and they remind me of Star Wars films music.

Keep up the good job, your music really fits the game and it's nicely done.

3. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I honestly play empires (or did) with music off frankly because I found it distracting but that's just a personal preference, that aside I feel empires is much too dynamic for general music being played in the background if your expecting it to change based on the flow of the match, however short pieces like the flag capture/lose do work because they are quick and informative (Im not that keen on the ones you made but they are a useful concept) and don't distract from the game.

One thing to remember is its extremely difficult to decide when event music is needed unless you set up the scenario, for example if you wanted a music to play when the CV takes critical damage its probably too late or may be premature to play, where as a game like L4D knows when to set up cues for music as it controls and knows what the games is about to do next.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Because they are literally only now being created is a pretty good reason alone.

I already gave you my opinions in chat on a couple occassions - for the most part, I very much like that music.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

admitably i also turned off music (not only in empires in any game), but i want to say, nice work you did there.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Wow, thats some serious improvement.
    This sounds like proper orchester.

Now I would actually quite want to see this implemented.

This could still be used in some videos and such.

This is totally my favorite:
    https://soundcloud.com/empiresmusic1/in-the-thick-of-battle

This is quite action main menu/start of the game theme, which will engrave into your brain, along with whatever its related to. (like empires)
    This is exactly what you need from music in games/movies.

And this?
    https://soundcloud.com/empiresmusic1/in-distress

That empires melody in about half of the song gives some serious chills.
    This is exactly what I wanted from this music and Assquatch :)

Awesome work, Assquatch.
    Make more. And maybe make a patreon :)
    Would pledge if that would motivate you...and if you can create more awesome songs like these.
    Now you got something awesome to show out.

Even if this wouldnt get implemented, I would still use it for videos. ( with your permission of course :D )

--
    Come on, this could absolutely make people feel better about the game and plus adds to the emotional connection to the empires, which you should absolutely not underestimate.
    Majority of people are still playing because of emotional connections to the game to other things than music.

Even if people turn it off. Probably not everyone would. Depending on how well would it be done.

This is a detail that on first glance looks like nothing important, but has big effects in the long run.

Those last few songs are in quality quite comparable to many high budget movies/games.
    This would feel awesome in the game.

Especially if there will be more songs with old empires melodies or so.

Its nice, melodic and complex enough, with awesome sounding sounds.

Just, awesome! :grinnf:<3

I would put this in the category of one of the many small things we need, to improve the new players playtime "endurance".

All we need is just to make it play on specific game events...and properly.

EDIT:
    One thing. You turn off music? But you still remember the music that was in the game...in detail...and forever, or not? Still having emotional impact on you, and whatever that closely resembles it reminds you of empires, or not?
    Still sure its useless?
    If we had no music, it would be just like having Team 1 and Team 2, not having NF and BE.
    The art content.
    So why not have more of it?

And lot of it is actually already done.
    DO THIS!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    =[KXIC]= Assquatch likes this.
  7. Avatarix

As Neoony said, music connects people.
    Just how many people know "You are in alpha squad" or Daruck's cocks?
    And basing the tracks on our empiresy melody is a great idea

Neoony likes this.
  8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So, since I'm the sound guy I should probably respond to this.

I want to replace the current music/update it. The old stuff sounds dated and isn't particularly as high of quality as Assquatch's. With that being said, I can not add in a lot of the requests here such as tune plays when you capture a flag etc because that requires code and there is a big back log of code changes that are needed before anything sound related will happen, sadly. Sound is a polishing feature of any game, and I want there to be an atmosphere to this game with more music. I want music queues for a lot of things, Commander is under attack (Alongside the voice), Capturing flags, tickets running low, mediums researched, heavies researched etc.

I also want just an ambient music to play in the background. This is the BIGGEST atmosphere producer out of anything, and I think the game would heavily benefit from it. People argue that this will take away from the combat and the guns should be the music, but many other games have music and still have the background firefights going on. It is out standing and really captivates you as you have a tune playing in your ear. Currently, unless you are near the combat, the game is dead silent which I dislike.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no since its the second thing i do in every game right after setting gfx to max.
    tbh i now feel bad for the sound guy who put a lot of effort in making the music, im sorry i never valued it.

the only exception is GTA, i just love chatterbox (or how its called in each version)

10. =[KXIC]= Assquatch

=[KXIC]= Assquatch Member

Wow, wasn't expecting to get this many responses so quickly!

First of all, thank you everyone, especially Neoony for the kind words. Hearing that you guys like the work I've done is very motivating and encouraging!

Second, I don't particularly have an opinion or not if you guys turn off music during game. Some prefer music, some don't prefer it. Perfectly fine with me!

KidPaler, I have been working on some Ambient stuff for a bit now, just not anything I deem worth posting yet to be honest. While ambient music seems like an easy gig, it's probably one of the harder things I've had to work on in my composition career. Also I'd be interested to know more about what it is you do with sound. I am actually studying Music Technology at my University and I would love to get more familiar with the video game realm as I can definitely see myself becoming more and more involved in it over time.

Regarding music for different points in the game...If the code is too difficult and complex to program these tracks in, that is no problem at all. Those shorts I did are actually for Trump's map that I did at his request. Although "In Distress" was actually done for when the CV takes damage! Glad to see you guys like that my music also could work for different purposes, i.e. menu music.

Neoony, thank you again for the kind words. When I was approached about doing new music, I was told I can not be compensated as this is a free game that runs on free community contributions, which I understood and still currently accept. However if you and anyone else would like to contribute towards my cause, I would very much appreciate it! I will consider setting some kind of payment method up soon.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input! Any additional thoughts you have are welcome and I will be checking back here regularly to see what you have to say.

Thanks!
    -AQ

11. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Very very nicely done!