New League Season

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Evan, Dec 23, 2008.

?

Interested in a new League season?

1. Yes! Sounds like fun

66.7%
  2. No, I'm not interested.

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Clan matches take a game like Empires to a whole new level where cohesive teams with good commanders can execute football-like strategies.

I am posting to inquire if clans are interested in a new league season. We are ready to make plans for one. I think we may have enough clans now to have some fun the right way.

Also, if you are interested in volunteering for the league, we are looking for the following positions:

*Demo -> YouTube Technicians to turn match recordings with commentary into youtube videos for the community

*Referees to referee matches (will require character check)

Also, could existing league officials please PM me to let me know you are still around.

Thanks and looking forward to have some good matches.

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Evan. Let the damn league die.

All of the leagues have been massive fail and no way in hell I would want you lead the League.

Basically, I will try my hardest to make sure JPL will not be in the League if you have any control in in.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

LOL

oh wait is this serious

4. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Do you speak for JPL, Cyber?

Anyway, my leadership is not what is being discussed here. It's true that the previous league seasons had problems, but that isn't my fault. Anyone that spent time in those previous seasons knows we were ironing out the procedures.

If you are interested in clan matches, now is a good time to join a clan or make one of your own.

5. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

JPL will take all cummers

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

How many clans are praticipating, if it is under 4; it is not even worth talking about. All other seasons tended to be... One sided...

Hell forget how many clans are praticipating; how many clans are capable of fielding enough members for a proper season?

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The idea of the league is good. The idea of you (Evan) leading the league is bad.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Listen to me! Please just fucking read this!

Yeah this sounds great. But I really think you guys should start up a PUG thing like rampant android said he would do back when season 2 failed first. It will only help more clans form and others get stronger. While having organized games with out leaving out people not in clans. Not to mention it will be way less drama.. Can you guys setup that instead? Or does everything have to be clan shit?

9. Lithium

Lithium Member

I like the youtube idea at least, that sounds cool.

but in all honesty unless we see a sizable amount of clans participating and fielding enough players it isn't worth doing, at least not yet.

10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

The league will also be happy to hold refereed pubs (so they can be recorded and commented on for youtube).

Also I think there are enough clans. This is just a preliminary question about wanting a new season, and may give pubbers enough time to make new clans.

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

What version will it be? 2.2 or 2.3? (weapon changes)

Can't speak for EPIC, but I'm up.

12. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Won't be until at least 2.21

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I counted 6 clans. Enough I guess but then we got time zone differences.

The original PUG idea was to setup 2 teams. People could join BE or NF and they would have there own forums to discuss strategy and all that. I think this would be a much better idea to put work into for now. Then move onto clan matches. This is what me and opie tried to push on you guys threw season 1 and 2 and they both failed. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this one fail too.

Remember season 1's territory map? That would be fun for the PUGS.. But didn't work well with all the clans.

14. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

It bothers me that RA is getting any credit at all for that.

15. Lithium

Lithium Member

Yeah I agree with Dubee on this one, except make the territory map only show Jekotia, that way you'll allow for more strategic possibilities (since the maps would represent smaller areas instead of large chunks of land like season 1 did)

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Gotta say, I still don't think we have enough active clans for a good league season...but if we get the PUG thing off the ground, i'll be there - hook, line and sinker ^^

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm interested in many types of organized events. I'd just like to see this happen:

- Good organized matches
    - Referees that make sure no one cheats or spams or griefs or whatever, since it's supposed to be more than a public game
    - Referees that record everything and handle the commentary cause it would be awesome to sometimes have a "good match" ready to spread on the internet to show of the game and make the idea of joining a clan more popular
    - A system that does allow for clans to play together, cause clans really need one. It's what clans are for after all, and people hate clanstacking.

I'm happy with any system as long as these points are met.

Example of something i'd like (a lot):

Combination of pug and clanwar:
    Basicly you organize pug games at specified times (long time in advance or everytime the same time). People that want to play in the next match will have to enlist before the match starts. This could be anyone (the trouble of having to enlist will make sure more than anything else that only those who take it seriously will come anyway).

This system could be made very flexible:
    - You could put all people from clanA on teamA and those from clanB on teamB, and have all others that enlisted and are not in a clan even teams out
    - If enough of clanA enlist, you could have teamA be 1 clan entirely, against a mix of clans and regulars on teamB.
    - If two clans have enough people to fill a team, we have a normal clan war

So the limited amount of clans and their size would be no problem, as the match would go on anyway. The pubbers would be able to play organized matches. Clans could play together. Daruck would be muted by the referees. Everyone would be happy.

The enlist system could very well have an option like "I'd like to stay for a second game" so we'd have a good guess about how many will remain after the match is over. If it's a success and not everyone can enlist, they could take the place of those who left for a second match. If it's a huge succes, we'd just have two matches with entirely different people. Some could be 'reserves' in case some people can't make it.

It's just whatever you'd want the system to be actually. It can go in all directions.

The main advantage is that the match will always be held. The list would consist of players from like 6 clans, and any pubber that wants to play a serious game. All you'd need for a good game would be about 30 players, and this should never be a problem.

On a side note: people enlisted should not be removed from the list just because some clanmembers wants in, eventhough i think clanmembers should have higher priority. Therefor i'd suggest giving clans a day extra or so to enlist before opening the list to pubbers. Any clanmember that wants to join after this can still enlist as long as it isn't full, but he can't kick a regular player from the list.

Edit:
    You could very well use the map from season 1 for this.

To have some sort of winning system you could take a screenshot of the scoreboard at the end, and give every player in the winning team +1. When either NF or BE control the entire map after a few months, the war will be over and we'll have a top 10 of players.

You could have a winning clan at the end as well, but this would need a more complicated calculation system as sometime you'll have people from a clan in both teams.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

4 clans, and how ever many maps? Every clan starts with like 2 maps, and can attack another area, clan which gets every territory wins. It'd take ages to finish, be easy to sort out and guarantee all the maps get played.

19. Avair

Avair Member

oh yes it was a real delight having to play a shitty clan like cw who don't even put up a fight over and over and over with their clan leader in spectate, and then at the end have the league be declared 'foul' for whatever reason

having to get up at strange hours with rules that change mid season (one second before a game)...fun fun

if this 'empires league' starts it needs a clean sweep of the current administration

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  20. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

If you were to make a new league, i think it could work if you build it around a small number of clans. Even if its 3 or 4 clans, i think it would still be exciting to have weekly matches. You just have to keep everything in perspective. Maybe you could list individual player stats on that as well so in addition to keeping track of overall clan stats you could see how each player is doing. Even though each clan won't have a lot of opponents to go against, that will simply mean they can hone their skills and strategies to fit the teams perfectly. Each week, the teams will have to adjust their tactics and strategies or else the other clan can easily predict how they will play. I think that we will see all kinds of new, creative playing because its so easy for the teams to play in a predictable way.

I hope this makes any sense. Basically:

1. Regular weekly matches between all teams (if possible)
    2. Simple league scoring system (maybe a cv kill win could be worth 2 points and a ticket win could be worth 3)
    3. Good referees (of course)
    4. Detailed stats on the website for each individual player
    5. Constantly using the latest version of Empires (sure it might ruin some "classic" strategies developed by the clans, but it would force them to be more creative and dynamic)
    6. Regularly rotating map cycle
    7. The clans should never have to directly communicate with each other outside matches (though they can if they want)

The league should be designed to be as simple as possible. One of the reasons if has failed in the past was because of too many silly rules (like the map). There should be a time designated before the league starts to hold matches. That time will be the same every week. I know that this can be hard due to time zone differences, but its the best way to do it. Every week, the teams will know exactly who they're playing, what map they will be playing on, when they're playing, and who the refs will be. All they will have to do is join the server a little before that time, and wait until the referee tells them to start. After the matches, a special match recording person(s) should make a copy available on the league website. From that you can get some player stats (kills, deaths, score, etc).

I would also love to see some good videos with commentary of the matches. I've watched competitive Empires matches in the past and I find them incredibly exciting. Maybe we could develop a league fanbase in the community. This would be good for both clanners and the league. If Empires matches were watched a lot, the individual players would be like stars in the community, plus more people would probably show interest in playing competitively.

Those are my thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.