New Graphics card.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Awrethien, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Any one heard anything about this card? I have been meaning to get a new card for a while. I want to keep it under $250(US) but this card caught my eye. The like the stats that it has and for the price seems reasonable for what it can do. The only thing is I cant find many reviews on it. Any one else seen or heard anything about this card?

2. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

no, not really =/ but if it'll last you awhile then get it << what card you got currently?

also i would look for a card a bit smaller in size =/ looks like an old geforceFX when those crappy cards came out hehe XD

3. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I currently have a ATI x600/x550. Its old now but it was new when it came out. One of the first card to have PCIx16. Was going all new hardware then lol. I can still run newer games but I ahve to keep lowering my settings and FPS keep dropping with every new game. Oddly enough I can have games with lots of polys but once they start adding hight resolution textures it bogs down.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

you going for ATI or Nvidia >> . Cause if ATI i guess i'd recommend that card as its the one of the only high-end ati cards near 250. as for Nvidia i unno what to recommend -=/

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I realy dont care witch so long as its good for the money. I hope to be able to get by for it for at least a year or two so I can save up enough money to by a new rig after they have worked out the bugs in vista.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

I know someone who has the Sapphire X1900XT and it works great.
    I'd say it's a good choice.

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

HAHAHAHA. Heh... Heh. Wooooooo.

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Meh, until recently I have had no problems with my ATi card... however, these new slew of horid problems (having to restart after changing resolution (after having to change resolutions many times to fix probs) and not being able to play Source games) has led me to this:

I'm never buying an ATi again. Just letting you know dude. I think you can get like an Nvidia 7800 or maybe a well-priced 7900 for under/at $250 USD.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Everyone likes the card....in its generation, its only second to the GeForce 7950 GX2. Is it worth it? No. Not at all. Never. Nope. You're talking about Vista in a while but your upgrade tree looks a bit off - games will be able to take advantage of DX10 as soon as they are release with its support. DX10 games are not very far off, and I think within 2 years, DX9 support will be going to the wayside. This is quite possibly the worst time to be buying a new videocard....DX10 cards are just popping out, and DX9 cards are old news.

My advice is to sit on it. Wait 6 months until the ATi R600 cards are out, and the nVidia DX10 cards have been revised and budget versions released. If you hold off and buy a DX10 card, you'll be able to hold on to it when you do a system build in a year or two. If you buy a DX9 card, you're going to have to trash it.

As for anti-ATi sentiments, I used to have them. They're getting better. And with AMD's fabs, the build quality of the ATi cards will only go up. I'm willing to give them a second chance. I'm sick of nV releasing buggy mainboard drivers, and forcing graphics optimizations on my through their video drivers.

10. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Hmm. I was thinking that the DX10 would only be for Vista. Maybe that was just a rumer... Ill have to check for sure now. Though I dont know if it would be worth waiting to long as my CPU probably would not be able to keep up. Pentium 4 3.2 Ghts :(

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's true. :(

12. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea was able to conferm its only for vista. And also my current card is two years old... So when I go to build a new rig Ill be looking for anew card anyway. The new DX10 cards im positive will cost around $500(US) and I cant see buying a new card for that much where I wont be able to use half the newest features. The more I read I am starting to think that it would prbably be better to wait a while to actualy see what happens. Vista is coming out soon and the new cards wont be to far behind. Once I can actualy see what the new cards do itll be more at ease on desiding. Maybe the upgrade wont be worth it and either way it will drop the pricess on DX9 cards. Thanks for the input guys.

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Isn't the 8800 a DX10 card?

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yup.<filler>

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what's so good about DX10?

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's one more than DX9 :)
    I just wish we could get special video cards that went to DX11. :D

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Good question.

*silence*

Uh, seriously, it basically makes it easier for developers to do all this neat stuff (from what I've heard). Problem is that because they went and changed everything around, it isn't backwards compatible, so none of the old cards will work with it. It's also Vista-only. I haven't seen a very large amount of developers jumping at the chance to hook that segment of the market. There's Crysis, uhhh... UT2k7... Alan Wake...

Microsoft Flight Simulator X?

Looking at UT2k7 now, it kinda looks like ass. The lighting is atrocious.