New Game Type?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Broccoli, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Thanks to Krenzo's help on overcoming the displacement problem, the map is now ready to play. Keep in mind, it's only an experiment: It might not play all that well. I didn't spend much time on it and there are no props or anything, so it's not that pretty.

Here's the link

Let me know how it plays, or if you find any bugs. I'm pretty sure it's watertight, but you never know when things get this complicated.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You could make some screenshots. Downloading...

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

screenshots would be nice. Not to be an ass but; "no pics, no clicks"

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Ok, here's some pics. Just to emphasise, this map is a playable demonstration of a possible new game type, not a complete map. Try not to dismiss the potential of the idea based on the quality of this map alone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Even reminds me of that onslaught map from UT2k4 =D

6. ReaperOne1Two2

ReaperOne1Two2 Member

!!!

I love the idea XD ied like to see an district type version of it

7. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

District already has flag captures? And why would you need res if it's like Disctrict and you can't build buildings?

I think it looks awesome, and with a spruced up map I would love to see it in the next patch as a default map in the maplist.

8. ReaperOne1Two2

ReaperOne1Two2 Member

I said a district VERSION not make it like district XD it'ed be nice to have a cap the flag like that with all infantry because ited stop nade spamming and also using hide to cap a flag would make sense on that map;p

9. ReaperOne1Two2

ReaperOne1Two2 Member

ex. the exact same map just cap the flag and infantry only no res

10. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

i posted something of a new game type, but its in another topic thing, just look for that trenches thing, if it catches your intrest, o_o

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

love the flag shields. good work, men. back to the trenches!

12. Thor

Thor Member

Sounds good. It really reminds me of chromehounds though. :D

All in all it sounds neat, but maybe there should be slightly less nodes.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

The number is flexible. You could theoretically have any number you want, with any number of connections between them. 9 is the maximum I would recommend, due to the sheer number of entities and I/O's required.

I've never played chromehounds. Is that a bad thing?

As for a district-like version, I think that would work well. Although I'm not a fan of infantry-only maps, larger streets could allow some vehicles in limited places too.

14. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

That would be an awesome map in the next release. For suggestions on updating the map, put a few constructable towers and/or bunkers to help defend the flags, such as on the hills near the flags. Or you could just put constructable towers ON the flags. That way once you capture a flag, you can take some time to fortify it up, but the attackers can also capture that tower+flag and turn it agaisnt you.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Another crazy thought would be to have various brushes of the bunkers be separate, so you could initially have a mini-bunker, and expand it into a super-bunker over time, but I'm not sure how to do that :-P

Or if it's even possible :-P

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This is possible, but creates a problem if the bottom brushes are destroyed first. The upper brushes will be left hovering, and the current I/O on these entities is not enough to manage these things effectively.

I like the bunker-over-flag idea though. If there is any expressed interest by the dev team to make this new game mode official, then I would be happy to implement these, along with some rocky props to provide cover and a proper skybox.

17. Nutnoze

Nutnoze Member

this gametype provided to you by unreal tournament 2004, (domination i believe?) would be awesome with empires mod though.

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I hope Krenzo will at least give this a try, i'd LOVE to play this map.

I hope you include little spots to place turrets in on the tower/bunker. Kind of like in mvalley, where there are those little pads you can put a turret on.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Okay, so I've updated the demo map a little. The lighting and fog has been adjusted to look a little prettier, and grass sprites have also been added.

Buildable bunkers are available to both teams on 4 of the nodes, and those are the edge ones (N, S, E and W). Access to the roof is tricky, but can be done by building walls (or standing inside a wall when building completes). There's a nice little hole in the top to drop grenades down, if you can get that close. Oh, and there's only one entrance/exit, so they are open to ambush.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, the force-fields now have a function. Damage is dealt to enemies within the field at a rate of 10HP a second (actually dealt as 5HP per 1/2 second). This applies to both infantry and vehicles (and infantry in vehicles, so the driver is likely to die a lot earlier than his tank is). Don't worry, a comm vehicle within the field takes a long long time to die, so no shoving exploits. And players can comfortably walk through the field from one side to the other. Hanging around inside, however, would not be advisable.

The new zip is uploading now, and should be done in around 10 minutes from this post (crappy upload speeds, it's only 10mb). Same link as before.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I am a dev, I am expressing great interest in this map. Make this map and make it pretty. It would be hot as a junk yard with hills made of destroyed vehicals and dead people.