New Game Mode : Arena

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Cyber-Kun, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I am in the process of making a new game mode for empires.
    I know it may not be the most popular, but I want to do it so I will do it. It is called arena and it will fit Empires quite well I do hope.

The rules are this :
    • Basic Rules
    1. Both teams play until they have won three rounds, out of the five rounds you can play.
    2. To win the round, you capture a flag in the middle of the map.
    3. Flag building only opens up after three minutes has passed in round time.
    4. The round only lasts eight minutes.
    5. If the round lasts to the eight minutes, a sudden death happens. Team with most tickets wins the round. In a rare case of even tickets, both teams win the round. There will be bugs if both teams have even tickets and both teams have 2 wins, but the odds of that is rare.
    • Info about the map
    1. Every time a team wins, the map is altered to make it harder to win. 3-0 would be near impossible due to the map changing for the worse for the winning team. The way the map will be altered is cover will be destroyed and the like.
    2. The teams start off with a few tanks and an APC.
    3. Whatever tank you loose for the round, it is dead until a new round.
    4. There is a side building to get a closer spawn for the infantry in the middle of the map. This is to make it possible to win if your team is stupid enough to loose the APC(s?).
    5. Tickets, tanks, and the spawning flag resets every round change.
    I plan to share the I/O system once I finish the system. This will allow for updates on the I/O system and it will allow other mappers to use the gamemode.

Things I have finished I/O
    1. Rounds and round changes
    2. Who wins or looses the rounds
    3. Reset the tanks/tickets/spawn points
    4. Doors to the flag building opens at the right time
    5. Timer is made to show how much is left for round time
    6. Round win counter
    Things left to do for I/O
    1. Improve the round change besides everyone dies.
    2. Make the map change look better when the round ends. I have the props exploding down, but I still need to get better looking explosions.
    3. Fix any bugs I find
    The map itself is done layout wise and it will go well with 6-16 on each time. Not exactly the best for the large scale games that are played but it will be fun for everyone as long as you are halfway decent at the game. I will make an other thread for my map itself once it gets closer to completion, but right now I want ideas on the gamemode itself.

Suggestions/Comments?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So you'll get teleported between the "maps" which I assume are all within 1 big map? And what levels of players will it begin to really suck at?

It'll be different I suppose. How long do you think it'll take before you can get anything released, as in, even if it's just to prove the concept.

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

It is just one map, one area.
    I thought about having each round be on a different map but the BSP would be huge and it would reach map limit.

The only way the map changes is props get removed, and the props that will be removed will be the ones used most for cover and the like.

The time it will take to get released shouldn't be long at all, as I have already released alphas to test the map. Once the I/O is done I can work on the map, and it will be fast. Oh, the last test is here. You have to spawn as NF to get the map to start and don't ever spawn in the area in the north-west.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Why not make ties = no points rather than ties = points for both teams? That would solve the bugs from a tie match with both sides have 2 wins.

Also, 8 minutes is awfully short for an Empires round (unless the map is district402 small). May I suggest you set the round time based on this formula

Round Time = 2.5 x [time it takes for an infantry to sprint across the map]

or

Round Time = 5 x [time it takes for an infantry to sprint to the flag point]

Otherwise, the round time will be either too short for non-infantry combat or the map will be too small for vehicles.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The map is the correct size to have battles, and if the map for some reason lasts too short... well then I will add time. Right now the tanks are not really there for tank battles as much as having tank semi-battles.
    To make it give no points per tie... I'm thinking of that. Nope. The odds of both teams getting a tie is super low as it uses tickets as what it counts to tie. The slight odd of that error is super rare.

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

sounds interesting

But vehicle spawners are currently very crude, because the weapons don't fire from the right bone or something. They look very strange when you are actually playing it, so maybe a VF for each side might be in order, although i doubt that fits with the map.

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Unfortunately any bug with the vehicle spawner is going to be in the map.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I think Varbles is right... I would rather see a VF and a limited cash supply then have the crap be weird. It would be a distraction.

The plus side is that they could spawn all apcs or what ever combo they wish that plus what ever tech you allow on the map. It could prove more interesting with a VF even if you could only make 3 APCs.

9. communism

communism poof

Any chance to give the AFV the regular cannon? Icannon is pretty much HE

10. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

No VF.
    Right now the AFV and Light tank has three layers of regenerative armor but the AFV has the Icannon. That should balance it all out tank wise.

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It just seems silly not to make a change to prevent an error, even if the chance of the error is super small.

12. Empty

Empty Member

Coz everyone knows million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

13. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Still, no bugs is better than rare bugs

14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The only way to make the tie breaker work when even is to make about infinite rounds and have it continue calling each time. I mean I could the way I have the whole script setup but Ill add one case in for when the.... let me think of odds.

Both teams are 2-2 wins, I will say about 30% of the time this will happen.
    Both teams have the same number of tickets, considering a standard deviation of about 50 tickets.
    3 out of 500 games.

Decent enough that I will fix it once I optimize the coding some.

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Was wondering about this game mode, would something like this better fit maps like my Megahill_Jam?

a.k.a. screw around maps, if so i've got a couple that just need to be finished and one that needs to be redone due to WAY TO MANY brushes.

16. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Does anyone have some explosion particle effects that low end computers can use? I need some explosions to make props disappear and have it look better than props disappearing.

17. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

how about a particle of something imploding into like a void....

kinda like a shock blast in unreal (if you've played UT04 or UT3)

18. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I need to have a game test to make sure all of the trigger work is done.
    Map is super beta and whatnot but it will be needed.

Tomorrow (9/25) should be tested.

19. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Considering I have been dead,
    http://www.filesavr.com/arenafieldday_15

If any mappers want to work on the triggers, have fun. If you do though, please state who made them originally and share any modifications.

20. Lewie2

Lewie2 Member

y dont u use moving brushes?