New Forums

Discussion in 'News' started by James, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Anyone else having this problem...
    I can't view more then a few pages of empires forum and then the damn thing goes offline for me. The site gives me a page that says its not the host's problem its empires server that is the problem.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Just all the time

3. ViroMan

ohh I finally got around to reading the entire thing. lol

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Same thing is happening to me, seems to happen shortly after opening a few tabs.

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

I think thats also the reason why I get to the first post of the thread, when clicking on the link in the email about new reply notification. Because It will not log me in, so it doesnt know which post is the last I read.

The link looks like this (https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/new-forums.19828/unread)
    So it should do that.

This needs to be fixed.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

your link links me back to your post ^^

edit: now wait it links me to the newest post oO

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

it should link you to a post after whatever you read the last in the thread.
    Its in every email that tells you there is a new reply.

So, of course it will link you to the newest post.
    But not if you didnt just log in minutes ago.

EDIT: so for the email link to work, I have to come to the forums, log in, go to the email and then click on new replies.

EDIT: Im guessing something is up with cookies on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. Neoony

Neoony Member

By the way, the Empires Blue theme seems to have pretty nice layout. Looks nice.
    Template speaking.

Just the pictures and some color adjustments /(WIP).

And I think there should be a separation between General forum and Events. It looks a bit messy there in my opinion. At the moment majority of recent threads in General forums are Events.
    Would look nicer if there were events only.

9. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Much prefer the new empires blue theme, though the background image needs replacing. Also header logo should match the game:
    [​IMG]

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

empires blue as a wip looks very nice and promising. it should be the default theme once finished

ssl looks to be unsecure again... im also logging in less and less, even though i have things to contribute... a couple of days ago i wanted to point out that i said about the same thing as jimmy in the shoutbox and nobody reacted

can we please be nicer to people with less playtime

edit: to catface about the integration.
    the steam integration is not something im against, if anything im for it. however, people are not going to be connecting their facebooks or twitters (if they even have the latter). the last empires controversy that involved facebook probably soured the 10 or so people that joined the empires facebook. also, it is quite obvious that the facebook recommend buttons are only for advertising tracking (its already easy enough to share links through facebook)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I honestly don't remember the facebook drama. I'm sure something or other happened, but no details come to mind.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

totally, at best there would be a "upcoming events" box somewhere at the top (maybe linked to a calendar - im sure theres plugins for that). i guess if people find empires and the forums, something like that could help getting new players for pugs and other events.

also as much as i like the shoutbox, it should be put under the forums. in the end its a forum, not a chat.

13. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

I've been sick for a few days (Still am) but I'll be returning to development today.
    I've read through some of these comments and I'll be taking them into consideration when I change things.

A few things to note, I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter and Google+ integration as it's pointless.. Steam Integration is only here because if hopefully most people start using it, It'll allow of easier finding out exactly how active the community is on Empires.

SSL is connecting and disconnecting like a bitch all the time, because the account we're using on Cloudflare is free.

I did (hopefully) fix the logout issue, and you should only have to login once a day if even that.

I'm about to finish the Empires Blue theme, if anyone has anything they'd like added to it please PM me or add me on steam, whichever is easier for you.

The Shoutbox being underneath the forums was my first intention of it, but Catface told me to leave it at the top. I'll make a post about moving it to the bottom with a poll for voting, whichever wins in 5 days after the post I'll leave it as.

As for the General Forum and Events Forum being separate, I'll message Catface about that now, and see if I get an approval of doing that.

Anything I missed? probably.. but whatever, I'm sick, tired and hate typing..

As I said, message me here or on steam if I missed anything important or you have anything to add about themes.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Still getting kicked out when trying to save profile changes.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Do we need to use CloudFlare? I don't know if there was any DDoS protection in the past, but it didn't seem as itnrusive.

16. ViroMan

"stay logged in" still doesn't work. I left the site then came back 10 seconds later and I had to login again.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

well those facebook buttons are on the forums though. i thought it was a "sign of things to come." nice to know it'll get removed soon

the background image on the empires blue theme can be removed. it is also kinda hard to see which topics have new posts, as the title is just bold. perhaps there can be an unread icon aswell?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not sure if this stuff has been mentioned already, but blue theme has pretty high contrast between the white text and blue background. Might want to soften the background colour a bit.

Also, main thing, Avatars to show who started a forum thread should go (imo). They make the forum look a lot messier than it is, and don't really add anything good. A text column for it would be better.

Thread Title Font on blue theme is hard to read blocky. Please put something a bit easier to read - unless it's just the high contrast white vs blue that's making it look funky.

Otherwise, cool beans, keep up the good work!

19. Catface

Catface Member

I think they're a nice addition actually, they make it look more "lively".

20. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

Yeah this theme is way better!