New 14" Razer laptop with a 660 Ti!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I got a rather large nerd-boner when the 14" Razer gaming laptop was released last year. Slim, sexah, battery life but with some gaming balls.

I respected them spending the majority of the heat budget on the GPU last time, but they've gone all out this time.

[​IMG]

The first 14" Razer had a 37W CPU and a 75W GPU. This year's model is 6% thicker and it still has a 37W CPU. But the GPU is a brand new Nvidia model (870M) that is basically a 3GB 660 Ti desktop GPU (a 150W GPU). The mobile version's TDP hasn't been published yet, but a very similar (but lower clocked!) model (775M) from last year had a 100W TDP. So this new GPU is probably in the 100W ballpark.

[​IMG]

Other improvements are a wider-bandwidth m.2 SSD (as opposed to mSATA) and a "Retina" 3200x1800 display.

[​IMG]

So it's purdy hawt, amirite? Except it costs $400 more than last year's 14" Razer.

[​IMG]

So yeah, $2200 for a 128GB gaming machine is kinda ghey. Spending the extra $200 to get a 256GB SSD is basically required.

Is it worth $2400 for a quad-core high-res Macbook-thin Windows laptop with the second best mobile GPU on the market?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Spartacus, as a mac fanboy, you should understand that it's actually much more worth to drop that silly amount of cash on a macbook with windows installed, than on that laptop.

In all honesty, if you want to game, and are computational machinery just for the purpose of gaming, and not checking facebook on the go, you can get the equivalent performance on a $1k desktop, the only downside is you can't move it all around the world [as easily]. But you can't play a video game on any mobile hardware anyways unless you're plugged into the wall, so why not just do it cheaper anyway.

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

660ti.

[​IMG]

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Because I have to move shop every week, and carrying that large ass desktop is a little inconvenient. Or I have too much money and don't know what to do with it. Those are the 2 kinds of people who would get something outta of this.

That makes me feel a tad bad, I ended up getting it for a friend when it first came out.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

So... Trickster and Trickster?

6. ImSpartacus

The macbooks with discrete GPUs have bulkier 15" chassis and don't even get close to the performance of the 14" Razer.

Last year, the 14" Razer was a cute, "Oh, you took a Macbook Pro's cooling budget, traded 10W from the CPU to 10W for the GPU." ;)

Now it's like "Omg, where did you get another 25W of cooling for the GPU?" :eek:

I love macbooks because they are "mobile laptops" (that should be redundant, it's not :( ) first and everything else second. But I want Windows and I want to game. If I still needed to move around a lot, this would be damn tempting.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

no thanks happy with my $300 9 hour battery chromebook

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My custom built laptop was €1600 when I got it, so I basically spent the equivalent of the cost for this laptop. While my laptop is 17" rather than a paltry 14", it weighs several tonnes and is really fucking chunky.

So yeah, when it's time to go for a new laptop, I'll probably end up looking at whatever Razer have out. At the time the Razer laptop they had wasn't even close to the laptop I have (7970M), but now it does seem like they've really stepped up their game, and I fucking love the idea of a 3200x1800 display.

So yeah, overall, fucking bargain. I'd buy it.

10. ImSpartacus

The hilarious thing is that it would probably provide nearly the performance of your desktop (dual 480s, right?).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  11. McGyver

Lol chromebooks. I guess it's a good choice for people that think the NSA doesn't have enough of their data. -- free backup with Uncle Sam!

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Honestly if I had infinite money I wouldnt even doubt buying the razor cause its basicly really high quality and really high performance just a lot of fucking money. The quality money ratio isnt the best. But if u hve money u dont carem

13. ImSpartacus

Apparently, being "plugged into the wall" will be less of a requirement for the 800M series.

And if you want to get strict about it, you'll be able to get this raw performance in a ~$1200 laptop in a few months. But if you boil the computing experience down to computing performance, then you're missing the forest for the trees.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

the 16gb i have locally is good enough to browse the internet

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Probably, though I don't know how the CPU stacks against a 5.0 ghz i5 2500k though. I don't really mind though. Like I said in a thread a while ago, it feels like the demands of games have slowed down a lot, I'm still not really finding anything I can't max (except Arma 3 because it uses like 30% of your fucking GPU instead of 100%), so I'm fairly happy either way. To be honest, even this laptop with the 7970M can play pretty much everything at max.

16. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.

17. McGyver

Why? You getting jelly?

18. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

It's more like the thought of spending that much money on a small "gaming" laptop like that is making me sad.

19. ImSpartacus

Don't put gaming in quotes like that. I'm insulted.

20. ImSpartacus

Felt the need to point out that HP is playing catch up.

[​IMG]

Basically the same price & performance specs as a Razer Blade, but with a larger screen and a smaller battery. That's not exactly a good thing. This is why we can't have nice things, HP.