Neotokyo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ikalx, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of talk about many games recently, but I was surprised to find that this mod had finally got released to steam. I know it's something that people played a lot of for a very short time, and then the playerbase sort of left, but I never really got the reason why.

I'm just reinstalling it now, and I haven't played it again yet, but I thought I might give people a heads-up to the fact that it's around again - with lots of populated servers.

And if anyone does know why it was almost mass-abandoned overnight, could you guys enlighten me? The only reason I really stopped playing was just a lack of people on servers. It's a pretty good fps, a bit like CS but with more of a stealth edge and futuristic bent to it. More immersive than most, too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244630/

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Game is a counter strike clone with a ctf mechanic.

It doesn't look visually appealing, and it's something nobody wanted.

I get it takes inspiration from Ghits, and other sci-fi ams and flims like blade runner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkMzn4et2U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcZHjKJBnE

But the problem with this game is that it lacks content.
    The guns are bad, the maps are simple.

If you want a good mod to game, insurgency is the best one there is besides dlchivarly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

It's got plenty of visual appeal.

There are some balance issues though. Recon has night vision which is useless to anyone that knows how to turn up their gamma. Most maps have little practical use for it.

The support are overpowered in well lit maps, because bodies with thermoptic camo show up as a deep bluish color amidst a sea of lightbluish to orangish.

There is only one game mode it seems. There is no position holding maps for the most part, and many games turn into seek and destroy.

I dunno. Gameplay just seems to lack variety. development has been at a standstill for nearly 5 years. It's one of those games that has considerable potential, but we only get the demo version.

4. BigTeef

Come on man, the graphics are standard textures.

It's nothing compared to Dystopia in terms of uniqueness.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think development has been at a standstill for so long, because after the initial release wave had come and gone, the people who would usually be content creators didn't stay. The game doesn't have a whole lot of maps but they're good and the gameplay is a bit more interesting that some (tbh, I found insurgency a little campy pop-headed shooty, at least neotokyo has a reason for that - there's stealth and camo, which spaces things out a little).

I think you're right in that it does have potential, but the content just hasn't really surfaced. But maybe it will now, I dunno.

6. BigTeef

Insurgency is supposed to be as close to the conflict in afgan as possible.

So yeah it's campy because running around like a tard will get you killed.
    You have to play the game like you would in SWAT.

Noise control, scanning the environment and using caution grenades.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, realistic shooters rather turn me off. What's the point of a game if you're just going to mirror reality? At least have some fun elements to it. These games that supposedly mirror reality also remove any actual ability you'd have to use your brain in those situations. It's not like you could destroy or use your environment at all. You can't even throw a distracting pebble at someone.

A realistic shooter actually takes all the interesting things out of war and battle and just makes a grungey mess where people massacre people over and over. That's not a game, that's just a cut down version of life.

8. BigTeef

It sounds like you want to play something stupid with realistic settings, controls, and stealth mechanics.

Go play Cod.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I remember playing at launch with the EPIC guys, it was fun for like 3 days or something just for that new mod smell, but in the end it was just...kinda dull?

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Retrofade, Deif, Fabrizio and myself were all playing just before I left for Iraq this time. The game is still essentially the same as it was after the 1st update patch, but it's still extremely fun. What people need to understand about Neotokyo is that it's 90% about learning the maps. If you know the maps then you can have a lot more fun, given how much larger they are than CS:S maps, which is why I feel like it's unfair to call it a CS:S clone.

The visual style is interesting and although it's starting to look a little dated, it's still exceptionally pretty for source, especially given the level of detail that they've put into designing everything.

With regard to development, I'm friends with the lead dev (well, my counterpart), so I can give a pretty decent explanation. The main coders they had (2) basically couldn't develop the mod any further due to RL commitments, so things ground to a halt. It's a shame because we were testing really basic mechs and shit in the test version, so they had a lot of interesting ideas. In the end, the lead dev shoved it on Greenlight and it got greenlit, but there was no-one to take it any further. Eventually the mapper for Neotokyo (YEAH THAT'S FUCKING DEDICATION YOU ASSHOLE MAPPERS) took it on himself to get the game in a position to release on steam, which is what they've now done. I'm not aware of any further code-based development happening over there at the moment, simply due to the fact they had no coders last time I checked.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No, Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead is like Afghanistan, Insurgency is just counterstrike with ragheads.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Protip: Realistic shooters aren't.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

arma 2 op arrowhead wasteland, thats the shit.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

After 10 years of this kinda motivation, I'm amazed at the variety in empires maps XD

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I could have sworn one of the reasons it was dropped a couple of months after it originally released is that they didn't hand out the map kit so mappers could make new stuff for it. It took like 4-6 months or something.

I think it might have also to do something with it being one of the few source mods that pushed the limit of what you could graphically do with the source engine, so a bunch of people thought they couldn't run it or had trouble getting it to start. Where before they could play whatever just fine. I know it was the first time I had to lower the graphic settings in a source game just so the map could load.

Anyway game is fun, personally much better than CS in my opinion. I really think that has to do with maps being much more open and less corridor-y. That and the stealthy mechanics encourage flanking too, which is something I really like. It still has one of my biggest pet peeves in a round based game though, 1 shot kill weapons. At least no one could really get it til the 15 minute mark or so, unlike in cs where 2 fast rounds is all it took really.

I don't know why people say insurgency is a slow game where you have to be careful. In bad maps like that one where the us forces have to climb that hill with little to no cover, yeah slow is the only way. City maps though you don't have to be so careful, just gotta have a faster aim then them. Still love insurgency just for the fact that shotguns actually work at a small distance.

16. BigTeef

17. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

This mod is still fun, yeah it's a shame it's not being developed with more content, but the base game once you learn the mechanics to a level (recon movement, vision modes, using correct weapons) is still very enjoyable. Now go use the shotgun on Redlight and you'll know what I mean.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

When I last played it, they'd gotten to the campy phase of gameplay. Up until that point it had been more fun, a more spread-out and dynamic version of cs, but then everyone just started camping - like everywhere...and it became boring. You could barely move for the number of prone bodies in hallways.

That was still back when it was a beta mod, though. I haven't played it since it got released. Basically because I figured people would just continue making it campy.

Dude. Do you really have to do that?

19. BigTeef

Who are you quoting?

If you are going to take the effort to pull references or be inspired, at-least compliment the original material.
    I never said it was bad, I only said it was a clone.
    They obviously put effort into the game but for some reason I get the impression that they did not pay attention to the source material and only took the designs.

I didn't comment on the the development cycle because frankly we are no better.
    However Dystopia will still be on my pedestal.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Isn't it just supposed to be in the spirit of those things? It's not "Source Material" unless it's taken directly, isn't it? I figured they were just using that style as inspiration, rather than anything. Of course they're going to do things their own way, or there would be no point, right?