neotokyo ironsights

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Empty, Feb 16, 2015.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

aaaaand we are back at doom

i fully understand nostalgia, im often lost in memories aswell, but neither was the grass greener nor the sky bluer in the past.
    i dont mean to say that newer games are better by default, but neither are old games. time goes on, theres nothing you can do to stop it.
    ADS became a quasi standard some time in the first century of this millenia, its expected, if its missing it will feel like the game is lacking something.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Empty

Empty Member

I've already nerfed ironsights to the point where they are essentially nonfunctional.

3. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

That was the joke.

I can go back and play shit that's not modern (such as empires) infinitely more than I can play many new releases, and it's not some mystical sense of nostalgia, it's just that some things (not all things) are good enough to stand on their merits still.

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Useless extra clicking and a screen overlay?

5. flasche

i dont see how ADS itself influenced the general quality of games. theres good implementations, theres bad implementations - and in the least cases its objectively good or bad, it is a matter of taste more often then not.
    i for example find arma to have the worst controlls in the history of fps-gaming (at least for titles that aint shit in the first place), theres others that think armas aim is the only one that feels realistic. who is right?*

edit:
    and to add something to the topic itself. id rather have ironsights i look through then just my view zooming in. if you wanted that you could have just left the fov setting unlocked like in quake (=not marked as cheat)

*well, me ofc ... ;)

6. Empty

Empty Member

Empires is not quake or UT.

Empires is slower paced (but not as slow as 'tacticool' games) and features much longer ranges.

For that purpose, weapons have to function in a variety of environments, from very close, to attacking pixels.

For this reason, different ways to manage accuracy are important, at close range movement and reaction times become very important, at long range, accuracy is the key.

A weapon with pinpoint accuracy is very hard to use at close range, the scout rifle despite theoretically being very powerful (oneshot kill much of the time) is rarely used in close quarters because it's hard to hit the head reliably.

In a similar way, if all weapons were pinpoint, the only factor that would matter would be damage. For this reason we have different characteristics. On top of this, players should have some control over their weapon. The primary ways to boost accuracy in empires is standing still or crouching. This is functionally our ironsight system compared to other games. You trade mobility for accuracy to gain the upper hand at long range. With this method, even close range weapons can interact with players at long range (smg2 primarily)

The rifleman weapons take this to the next level. They also have an ironsight. The ironsight offers the player more control over their weapon, and (when it's working right) lets the player move and shoot with accuracy, albeit slowly.

This functionality is important since the differences in range are very hard to deal with if the weapons are not suited for the task. Ironsights give us the ability to have a weapon with extreme accuracy, useful for super long range, while letting that weapon be weak up close since it's movement accuracy will be poor.

Also, most vitally, ironsights lower FoV, letting the player pick off targets at ranges they normally cannot see very well.

You can complain and moan all you'd like, but I prefer empires with weapons that have different roles and capabilities than empires with nothing but a quake 3 railgun, shotgun and machine gun.

7. flasche

q3 (and 1 and 2 aswell) had the exact same thing you want now empty. with the exception that it had no modeled ironsights ;)
    there was 2 cvars, cg_fov and cg_zoomfov (and different sensitivity and a button to toggle ofc)

8. Empty

Empty Member

I'm well aware of that.
    Those commands are also virtually useless in Q3 since the ranges involved are so small most of the time.

9. flasche

i really think we should move on with time. todays gfx allow a level of detail where ironsight are feasible, so make use of it. at least for me its a lot more immersive then simple zoom-in aim.

10. Empty

Empty Member

We already have an ironsight model and it sucks for many different reasons.

1) Innacurate models
    2) Obscures all the screen
    3) Sways significantly with movement
    4) Looks terrible

There's really no reason to spend 30 hours modelling coding and fixing ironsights up with a super nice looking realistic option when we can just take neotokyos option and have it fully implemented and working in I estimate 30 minutes.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

The thing is, who is stopping us in using the Neotokyo solution as a temporary work around, until we get updated firearm models?

12. flasche

yes empires implementation certainly isnt among the best, but is it really unfixable?

13. Empty

Empty Member

Even with updated models I strongly dislike the current system.

Models don't scale nicely on different resolutions, hairline sights (like the NF50C) can be invisible if your resolution is too low, and if your resolution is too high the BEAR and NFAR sights end up being much wider than the actual cone the bullets travel in.

Particularly in empires where pixel precision is vital on many weapons, a reticule is better than a model because we can make a reticule 1 pixel wide on all screens. Besides that, in the real world we use sights with reticules all the time, especially at longer ranges because they're easier to see through and easier to aim.

Beyond that, I have no reason to expect new weapon models any time soon, we have more pressing concerns like buildings and vehicles.

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Nobody ever said, that the rim of any sight represents the spread of the weapon. Anybody thinking that has no idea how iron sights work.

I can agree on the other problems caused by resolution though. The thing with models in that case is, that you would have to design the gun model and it's iron sights in a way that fits their intended range. Just in the same way that the BE rifle models were intended to be better at range but at the same time obscure your vision. If you can work out somewhat permanent characteristics for each weapon, artists can actually work towards the model representing those characteristics visually. But with the constant changing of weapon stats in this game, this isn't going to happen.

15. flasche

are attachments impossibru? i mean in case someone botheres to redesign weapons such system could fix the issues you mention.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

No, attachments are possible with bodygroups. You could technically have multiple sights that you can equip on every weapon.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

it looks like that stupid right click to go to ironsights shit every game has

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Right click = laser sight. Aaaah yeaaah!

So do it. Implement it today. Heck, release it today, too. Then at the next patch if it's awful people will want it removed, or if it's good it'll hang around a bit longer.

Tbh, Spartacus does way more crazy things each week which way more people disagree with or feel is a bad way to go. This ironsights thing is like...well, functionality over style, really. And you can test it out until we do get something else better. Or until people tell you that something's been ruined in the playstyle because of it. Which can happen. Lots of things just don't fit Empires...which is also the reason why we play it.

Edit: Just checking the weapons, I was thinking the reason you might want this is because of slow firing weapons (snap-to and then pew pew, instead of slow ass sights and then you're dead :p ). If that's the case, just implement it for those few instead.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Or just fix guns not being able to fire while switching to ADS. ;P

20. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Global Warming.

There's a clientside command to turn that off. I put that in one of my .cfg files.