[Need Feedback]Turret Rotation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kidpaler, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Why not make slow turret rotation a thing and also buff al weapons ALOT. Making tank combat actually difficult but deadly.

This also solves lazy bums patient game problem.

Like its kinda obvious you cant jist add turret rotation speeds without adjusting weapons aswell.

If everything becomes twice as hard to hit, weapons need to do twice if not more damage

A-z-K and flasche like this.
  2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Do different chassis have different rotation speeds? Because that's pretty good to balance chassis besides costs.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well lazybum wrote it was tested like that.
    i think there are two major questions that came up during this discussion.

first is wont this make empires slow or less arcadey, will this turn it into something like a milsim?
    and second, should chassis even be balanced against eachother as they are upgrades?

i mean dont misunderstand me here. i would really like to have this tested thoroughly.
    its an interesting concept, we should approach it open and unbiased. if it doesnt work out, it doesnt work out. if it does it does.

i mean its not even like it would require additional code now (well a 2nd crosshair would be nice), the work has been done.
    it now merely is tinkering with values, in the worst case security can still set it to some absurdly high value and itd be the exact same as it is now.

what paradox said is a thing though, it wont just magically work out (with the arcadey nature of empires in mind) by changing the rotation speed.
    especially damage values would need to account for less hits.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I get all that, I'm just saying even if you up the damage to make tanks die at the same rate, or possibly even faster, the vehicles themselves have to slow down a bit or else tank combat is going to be difficult(think how often people spin around in tanks currently). Rotation speed also only matters in a open map, in a choke point map there's no need to move your turret more then a nudge to aim at something, so I'm kinda questioning how hard hitting weapons would affect chokepoint maps.

Actually I already have an idea, when I got a chance to test out spike's/catface's vehicle overhaul which basically doubled the damage of tank weapons and doubled cycle time as well. It was a bit silly to be honest, once heavies were on the field apcs/jeeps/lights would basically just blow up as soon as looked at. Oh sure, turret rotation wasn't slow at all, but it was on canyon and it's just a case if you can see them coming at all they aren't going to close the gap in any meaningful way to escape a heavy's wrath, a situation I would certainly see on 50% of empire's maps. Shutting down lights is one thing if we consider everything direct upgrades, but what about apcs? Or even jeeps for that matter, it's going to kinda suck to attempt any sort of last ditch rush. Let's not even mention how it was for infantry, being on the ground basically meant not ever moving outside of cover ever.

I'm all for trying new things, but with things like these you can already get a feeling of how it would end up. To me, it feels like it's going to be even more tedious if you aren't in a tank or frustrating if you are in a tank alone.