[Need Feedback]Turret Rotation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kidpaler, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

If you wanna make LT's useful lategame they should be able to scale which they cant ATM. YOu give them engine armor and thats it
    You cant just make LT's scale by making other tanks less useful. Thats not scaling thats just linear adjustment. You make them scale by giving them buffs that you can research OVER TIME. ( mk2;s ), more armor plates etc

Like helloooo isnt that so fucking obvious

TLDR Making LT's scale = Adding buffs that can be ACQUIRED

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I think you mistaken me with someone who wants to make LT useful in late game.
    You can't make LT scale by nerfing heavy tanks.

3. Paradox

you edited your post , I'd -1 you if I could for doing that

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think there is too much of a fixation on tank vs tank combat in this turret speed discussion - turret turn speed would also change infantry vs tank combat and imo that its where it could shine the most. especially if what is said about prediction is true. once vehicle mgs actually start to hit infantry reliably, you have two options, either sit in a tank (which isnt possible for everyone), or join spec.

but i know, unpopular, personal, opinion.

5. Paradox

I totally agree with you. I thought everyone agrees that infantry needs to be stronger against tank lategame, thats why we got these upgraded rpgs ( which are fucking amazing )

6. flasche

really? i have the impression rpg upgrade is highly controversial because it allows grens to be an actual threat to your precious tanks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The idea behind this is that, now that second seat is fixed, you could actually have a second seat helping you defend against Infantry. You can now pair up to make tanks more effective. Plus, if turret turn speed ever actually is slow, I'm sure the cannons/missiles will be rebalanced to deal a LOT more damage but be a lot more effective vs Infantry if they get in the Crosshair.

Turret turn speed would be a good way to "scale" in a sense. If a light tank can kind of dance around a heavy, more just being annoying, that's pretty much scaled. I don't think it should take a Heavy out, but I do think light tanks can be viable late game as a harassment tool.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Advanced rpgs make me sad because it doesn't affect the mortar which is a better tank killer.

So anyways, I never presumed it would bring lights equal to heavies, that's dumb. The point is because a heavy tank can move their turret so fast a light's mobility, or even an apc for that matter, are pretty much meaningless against heavies. I'm just not a fan that once heavies are researched lights are completely useless just like how turrets are once nukes get researched. I can stop building turrets but I can't stop people from buying lights.

Also feel like 2 lights should be able to take down a heavy if they are cooperating, team work makes the dream work and all that. It really doesn't feel like that at the moment though unless heavy is scrub or the light drivers are some of the best tank drivers.

Last thought is I disagree with lights being unable to close games, but only because it's really infantry closing games with the tanks supporting them against other infantry/light tanks. Heavies aren't exactly the reason games end, they're the reason a team bankrupts so the game can end.

9. Paradox

2 lights costing 500-600 total that you can get at 5 minutes in should take down a tank that costs 1500 and needs 30 minutes of research time? Please never become a dev lazy

10. flasche

like i already said in my first replay, i dont think different turret turn speeds will ever work out without a total rebalance of empires. ofc this includes prices, theyre not set in stone.

i would wish for it being tried out, with everyone giving it a fair chance (yeah i know naive in terms of empires), but i also know this will be a shitload of work - and then it still holds the possibility of a total failure.

11. Lazybum

Your prices are wrong a bit, minimum for lights is 300 with average being 400ish, heavy minimum is 1200 with average being 1400ish.

I should have added on that this would be open areas where the light tanks can make use of their mobility, which isn't that many maps, not to mention this takes 2 players doing something instead of just one guy in a heavy. Players are a resource and there's not much to go around.

That said I would never design heavies to work the way they do, I don't like them as a 3rd tier type of upgrade. It works in rts type games and people like direct upgrades in fps games, but we could have much more diversity and interesting strategies without such direct upgrades.

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Personally I think they should be used as harassment. I think that if a heavy can land a shot, assuming they have a slow turn speed, it should be extremely deadly compared to a light tank that can dance around it but takes many shots.

13. Lazybum

Deadly shots aren't fun for infantry, even if turret speed was slowed down. I mean that's a problem that everyone seems to forget, it's a tank you don't have to be right next to someone to hit them, so it's not like people on foot are really going to be able to dodge a shot any better then now.

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea but it makes more sense? I never understood how Infantry can survive two shots of ER cannon and walk away fine.

It would make more sense for it to be deadlier, but have the rotation time be the weakness to allow infantry to counter it.

15. Lazybum

How does slow rotation let infantry counter it? You'll need to properly explain that because if people can't just swing their turret willy nilly they aren't going to be right next to the fight anymore.

Empires isn't a place for sensibility, it never was. If it was you'd have to gut out the empires out of empires.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

also i want to point out that this topic is about 3 different features and its hilarious that donald trump grouped it into one with his 29 for 9 against shit

hes brought the omnibus bill to empires. super cool.

not really.

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

If you'll notice, that's specifically about people's opinions regarding my video I linked to NUMEROUS different people about the turret turn speed. I didn't ask them anything else. It is specifically about turret turn speed and the video I linked.

But here comes Complete, trying to start drama.

Edit: Perhaps I didn't make it extremely well known, but the tally I was keeping was specifically about my video showing the turret turn speed. I have been keeping a list as well of those who said they think it would be cool or not. To the people I showed the video to, I made it known that it was regarding the turret turn speed and nothing else. I have sent it out to pretty much everyone on my steam friends list that has touched Empires.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

thanks for admonishing me for not understanding your clearly confusing topic and then conceding that you had a confusing topic in a later edit

e: oh i may have remembered an earlier post where you said a very rude thing to me and then edited it later. oh well, heres an edit since i cant prove it

19. Lazybum

Changed the thread title a bit because I thought I already did and spent a few minutes looking for it when it was already there. At least we know from the title what the thread is about.

So I got a chance to play with this during the bug test for a while, both with high speed and low speed. High speed I don't think will really change empires at all, and I can see why people say it feels like lag but to me it felt like weapon weight swinging around like you see in newer games. I'm whatever about it personally, however I will say I never had a problem with how it looks now to be honest, though the effect is kinda neat.

Slow speed is different though. It was set up so that lights could do 360 degree rotation in 1 sec, meds were 240 degrees in 1 second I think and heavies were 120 in 1 second. My 2 thoughts are I don't think this would be very helpful in a lighter vs heavier tank engagement at all and I don't feel like it changes heavy tank combat too much, with one condition(more on that in a tic). The problem I had with lights is that I moved so fast that even if the delay is small to get the turret pointing in the right direction it was enough that I kept missing a lot of shots because it wasn't instant anymore. I never realized how fast combat could be in a light til I played with the turret delay. That said it wouldn't be hard to just kinda delay my shot a split second so I wasn't hitting nothing, but I'm not sure I like the idea of that hesitation in empires combat. The patience game doesn't feel rewarding, just kinda aggravating.

These problems were less pronounced the slower the tanks got though, in a heavy tank I really didn't feel like I was all that handicapped. The one condition to that was the be heavy spinning out on me, I ended up with my turret pointing in the wrong direction every time I spun out with it desperately trying to catch back up to the crosshair. That said towards the end of it I was getting used to it, I just didn't look at the enemy so the turret and tank would spin out so I was on target or swing my cursor in the other direction to meet halfway, and even better is I don't think it's actually hard to fix the problem of the be heavy spinning out so this might be less of an issue then it might seem.

Now I brought up the light vs heavy thing because it's certainly what I would have wanted from such a system, but it didn't seem like it helped. I don't know how hard they were trying but I was facing off against 2 nf lights in a heavy with just 2 3slot ranged cannon. I destroyed both like 2-3 times before they got me. I did have vehicle speed from scout, but I don't that really gave the advantage, not with it making me spin out all the time.

All that said of course the numbers could change, things can be rehauled, but the question ends up being isn't this just going to slow down combat? Won't this slow down empires? Is that really what we want? That's the only way I can see such systems actually having an effect, we have to slow down tanks or cycle times of weapons or both for this to really work, maybe even slower turret speeds, but it's all slowing things down and I don't think it's going to make empires more enjoyable. Sure it could be an enjoyable game, but it wouldn't really be the type of empires I really grew to love.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"actually" slow turret rotation would not only slow down the game, but make vehicle combat immensely harder.