Need existing entities that are nonexistent.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by harryhoot1, Oct 4, 2010.

1. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

For some reason func_monitor/point camera was removed from empires.
    Many new concepts and different gameplay can be made possible if they are brought back.

Prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod is an entity that allows a player to enter and be carried. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod

The pod can be used as non glitchy transport as opposed to moving platforms that take you places.
    They can be drop pods.
    They can be seats for controlling moving turrets, vehicles, and other things that are on the move.
    They can even be parented to command vehicles to turn it into troop transport, you can also add a mannable turret on top of the CV.

The possibilities are limitless if these entities are added.
    The code is already there, the vehicle scripts for the pod are there as well.
    Now it's just a matter of finding said code and implementing it.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

all of them are going to look like shit when implemented

if you really want to add troop transports, it would be far better using a fake room teleport where you teleport the person into a room outside the map that looks like the troop transport during flight

oh and map cameras leak memory

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

indeed you could just fire the tube the player (believes he is in) then when it lands teleport him there.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

no[​IMG]

5. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

how exactly are they going to look like shit?

also, does anyone know how hard it would be to copy the prisoner pod code from half life 2 and bring it into empires?

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You know they're probably still in there and just not in the FGD, which you can edit yourself to re-add them for use in hammer.

Although I would advise against the use of point_camera in multiplayer, it is extremely unstable if you don't use it in a controlled situation. Killing players inside cameras usually means they can't get out of the camera, same goes for pods. Having used both quite a bit, I would be hesitant to use them even in singleplayer.

Oh and they will look like shit yes, hacked together effects in hammer always look like shit.

Blizzerd is also correct about how to simulate being in a moving object, that's how it's always done in HL2 when possible.

7. Varbles

no

irrelevant

no

no

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

run against granite walls as much as you want, i wont stop you...

all i gave was my personal experience and expertise concerning mapping

9. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

I still don't understand how the prisoner pods will be messed up in multiplayer

also, I can add prisoner pods in hammer, but they don't work or appear ingame

10. Varbles

being able to tie physics and world kills to specific players, a la HL2DM would be very useful too.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well the fact that players wouldn't appear in them at all would be a start.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Are we talking about tutorial map or multiplayer maps in general?

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

From the OP I would say stupid gimmicky multiplayer maps with horribly hacked together map specific crap on them.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Nothing to do with the tutorial. We are using teleports to move people around.

15. Varbles

says the guy who made emp_king

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Which I am very happy to remind you contains very well hacked together map specific crap, the refinery/flag system is extremely robust and fairly easy to understand.

While I do make and enjoy more complex things, they are certainly not releasable. I've used pods as controls for complex entity-powered vehicles and weapons, I've used func_monitors, and I've used point_cameras, sometimes all three together, and I know exactly why you shouldn't use them in multiplayer, and also why they would be terrible gameplay elements in anything other than a carefully orchestrated singleplayer situation.

The first map I ever made contained pod-remote-controlled minigun turrets, they were fun to make and also a lot of fun to use, but I would never be so stupid as to put them in a multiplayer map.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

one of mine was a life size trebuche firing helicopter bombs with the psychics and a trigger based ballista firing explosive or penetrative bolts as requested (in arch)

18. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Mount that on a turret, put it into a base on a map, and you will win one Internet.