Need a microphone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lazybum, May 15, 2016.

?

How much are you willing to spend on a mic?

1. Under 20$, it's just a mic

38.5%
  2. Around 50$, I don't want to sound like a robot

23.1%
  3. 100$, I use it for more things then just to yell at people

23.1%
  4. 150$ or more, I like the best stuff I can get

7.7%
  5. I am mute and have no need for a mic

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The little usb mic I had for the last 6 months suddenly stopped working for no discernible reason, how sad. So my question to you is what mic should I get? Normally I would just grab something cheap, but I've been thinking of getting a much higher quality one for reasons. I have no real knowledge on mics in general, I've looked at buying guides for a rough idea but most seem to be aimed at musicians and the only instrument I have is electric guitar, though I keep thinking of acoustic ones for awhile now...

So yeah, what's a decent mic? I have decent headphones already so I really don't want a headset before someone suggests those things. I really would like to keep it under 50$, but I'll grab something around 100$ if it's actually good and worth it.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

most "gaming" headsets will break on you

and i dont think anyone has ever used a sm57 for playing games.

your better off buying one of the least expensive gaming mics with good enough reviews or a cheap clip-on mic/desktop mic

3. Lazybum

Yeah, but I've been wanting to do some dnd sessions as a dm so basically I'm playing the story teller. I wanted something decent because I had to hear myself from zoom's recordings and the mic I got, which was like 18 dollars or something, sounded like ass. I'm pretty sure it was through teamspeak too, so it shouldn't have suffered much from compression. I mean if you had to hear someone talk for a couple of hours I would think you'd like them to not sound like ass.

There's other things besides that, but those other things aren't really huge deals for me.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

if you have a separate power source for the microphone itself, this is the best microphone you can buy. your voice will come out completely clear.

or, you can try those microphones that you stick on a pair of headphones. buy a good pair of sennheisers, then stick a mic on it.

5. Lazybum

I have a set of ath m50 which have done pretty good so far, I'd like something open back but i need closed back headphones to help block out noise. I live on a kinda busy street as many can attest to. Which is why I wasn't looking for head sets.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

mics are throw away products for me. not intentionally, but hardwood floor and chair casters -> ded

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in empires if you want to be half decent/useful you better not get a microphone... before you know it you will try to command

8. FN198

FN198 Member

Lazybum I've got a GameCom 380 that I can give you. It's a good headset but totally analog. You'll need a mic jack and a headphone jack on your machine. Let me know if you're interested.

9. Lazybum

Mmm, the problem I have is I'm using a laptop with mic and audio on the same input jack. I can get something to split it sure, but I've heard the soundboard for this isn't very good, which might help explain why the onboard mics are basically useless. I fear any analog mic is going to have the same problem. Otherwise I would have gotten the one complete linked because it does sound really good for the price, but I think I need to stick to some usb mic.

Oh, people make cheap usb soundcard type things. This might work. I mean for the same cost as the cable splitter why not right?

Oh, and thanks for the offer fn but I don't really want a headset.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  10. FN198

FN198 Member

No problem. I tried the headphones plus desktop mic thing once. I ended up returning to headsets when having to bend toward the mic whenever I wanted to talk got unbearably frustrating.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

get a blue yeti, a friend has one and it picked up me whispering/flirting with his gf in the other room (door was open but still)... not even kidding.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I actually have one of these too, though I usually prefer on-ear headsets rather than over the ear because I find it easier to wear with glasses, and can hear more of what's going on around me.

I usually spend around the $30 mark because that's when the decent and cheap sets start. They can be lower if you're lucky/not picky, but if you're going to wear a headset for about 4 hours or so, you want to make sure it doesn't do rubbish things like put pressure on your ears which can be pretty painful after a while.

For various reasons I've gone through a bunch over the last few years. Currently I have a "Logitech OEM PC 960" headset that I picked up for around $30. It seems pretty good, comfortable which is what I want most. I recently trashed a "Sennheiser PC31 II" because its cable was 2 metres long. Pulled it and my whole computer down during a dnd session with you guys :P It seemed decent quality though, but now it's kinda expensive for some reason.

The thing I do when I'm looking for a new headset is just search on amazon and figure out what's out there, and what kind of style looks like what I want. More often than not, something's on sale bringing a model that's $10-20 out of your price range down for you. That's what you want to look out for, unless you just want to pick up something cheap. Sometimes the stuff around the $20 mark is actually surprisingly good, you just need to find the right ones...which is the tricky bit. Reviews come in handy though.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

get an audiotechnica ath m40x if you want something half decent.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

He said he already has an ath M50, and he is looking for a microphone not headphones.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

aint studio headphones a bit flat for gaming?

16. Lazybum

Flat? What do you mean? It's got ass loads of bass which I'm not particularly fond of, it can kinda wash out the mids and highs a bit, but cutting it with the equalizer a tad helps with that.

17. Lazybum

Well I did something else because I'm dumb like that. I ended up getting this audio interface, steinberg ur22, but for 100$ off of ebay. So now I have a decent thing to plug my guitar into, so that'll be fun. And will get the mic complete linked because I realized I don't have space for a nicer mic, which is a bit of a shame now that I have something good to record with. Or rather something that could accept XLR inputs. Still though, clip on mic means I can lean way back and still tell people what to do as commander. Ahhh the easy life.

Another small benefit is that audio interface might help my headphones sound better, currently my jack for my laptop seems a tad loose from bumping it one to many times so it makes a odd static sound every so often. Hurray for improvements.

flasche likes this.
  18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

blue yetis are overpriced for their purpose, let alone just for gaming

20. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!