Natural Selection 2 Teaser

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by petemyster, May 27, 2009.

1. petemyster

petemyster Member

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

/preordered

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

Its gonna be a long summer :(

I'd prob only play Humans, I never liked being aliens

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I'll be the one eating/killing/doing whatever aliens do to you then.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im an onos

they see me stompin...

they hatin...

6. communism

communism poof

lerk > all

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

jet packs with an awesome physics engine will be quite cool, being melee'd in mid-air and being sent flying back..... :)

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Meh 40 green.

Methinks overpriced

9. petemyster

petemyster Member

its a non steam version, so I take it you must be able to register a cd or something on steam when it does come out.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

Onos needs more tusks.

11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

when i first played natural selection, it was the shit. walking around with a machinegun though some

but once i played it a lot longer, it sort of lost the atmosphere and I didn't really like fairly incredible difference in ability between the skills of players... like, if you're against a good fade, you WILL NOT KILL THEM. reminds me of TFC and grenades somewhat. you don't get that in tf2. so... i didn't like the gameplay.

hope the new one is better.

12. communism

communism poof

That is what made NS so great. The skill ceiling is so high that no one has even seen it ;P
    I for one hope nothing changes, bunny hopping/wall strafing and every other trick/exploit there is

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's exactly what I thought when I picked up NS again a while ago, specifically with fades, a good fade player is impossible to beat without heavy armor and an HMG and even then you'll have a hard time.

I realise that is a unique feature but it really does spoil the game after a while, I loved NS when it first came out, just as I love public empires games where everyone is good enough to play but not good enough to dominate everyone else on the server. I still love the atmosphere of it, it's the closest I've gotten to playing an alien film, but I do hope they cap the skill level somewhat, it's not fun to be completely useless against an enemy. Just because it's skill based doesn't mean it's justifiable, skilled players should be challenged more the better they get, with NS skilled players get challenged less because once you get good enough to beat a few people it hampers the entire team's progress later on and makes it easier because you get better stuff while they get stuck with the same old crap.

I mean in empires I can kill most anyone I meet one on one, but the more of them I kill and the closer I get to their base the harder it gets, because they spawn back in and come after me again, I like that, because it means I don't just kill someone and then end up sitting wondering why I'm playing when I can just slaughter everyone else with my mega ultra guns that I bought with my kill money (I'm looking at you crysis...) but in NS one fade can kill the enemy back to their spawn and then sit there spawnraping them ad infintem.

I don't like playing aliens but as an analogy, I don't enjoy gunning down piddly aliens with HA and HMG forever, so I don't imagine that I'd enjoy fading basic marines either. I do like it when I'm creeping along a corrdior and I can hear the aliens in the vents and that wonderful tension you get when you and one other dude are trying to cap res nodes and you just know there's going to be an alien somewhere. The marvellous combination of panic and reason when a skulk comes running at you and you know you have to rationally predict his movements and be careful with the LMG but at the same time, part of you is going AAAAAAA ALIEN AAAAAAA and wants to spray madly. Tension is what makes NS good for me, not mindless slaughter.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

LMG vs skulk... the best part of the game. that was absolutely awesome.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

gorge webs and the bat creatures awwww yeaaa

also jetpacks and shotties

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

<Yawn>

I started playing Empires because NS wasn't what I was looking for.

17. petemyster

petemyster Member

What was wrong with NS? Not that I'm saying NS is better, but its certainly good fun at times