Napoleon TW multiplayer campaign anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Castrol GTX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Finally got NTW cause it was 10 bucks. Does anyone here have it? I want to try a multiplayer campaign with someone. I've never done this before, safety not guaranteed.

It looks like one player can play as the AI in a battle that the other player started in his turn, so you get to play each other a lot. And I think you can save it and play again later.

My Steam name is [MST3K]Crowe T Robot, I switched bots.

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Damn no one?

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I know that feel, I have nobody to play Knights and Merchants and Battle Engine Aquila with.

Sadly Total War games don't raise my interest, I have Rome and it's kinda sorta fun, but the Napoleonic period scares me away. Gunpowder is meh.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Knights And Merchants is pimp but I always managed to starve my armies and if I didn't I'd get raped in the butt by the enemy AI

Did churn out sausages like a boss tho

EDIT: Also in Rome:TW, did anyone else continuously assassinate the pope or was that just me

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

@Rome:TW it's still in BC? Or not? I never got to AD. Wait, that's senseless, the pope couldn't possibly be a public figure for centuries after Christ.

@K&M Sausages.... ^^ The way to put your economy straight is to have 1 more farmhouse (I haz polak version how 2 engrish? I mean the building that produces grain) than you have buildings that use up grain, a well-planned village and more serfs than you would think applicable - so that a bunch stands about doing nothing. As for armies, communication and distance are rather important. And the AI is pretty abusable, you can rape a big army without any trouble with just a handful of melee units and 50+ archers. Just watch out for their archers, they sometimes shoot back.

Bread > sausages by the way, it's way faster, only slightly less effective and easier to spam.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I swear to god, the campaing skirmishes in knights and merchants were the most godawful battles in 2d ever. Turle in the corner and make your prayers is not my kind of fun. That and the constant transport failure, due to the AI being unable to effectively avoid collisions on roads.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Clearly you failed at this game really hard. Turtling and praying is what a bad strategist would do :rolleyes: And you can't avoid collisions in 2d and on teenytiny roads, how about you make 3-square-wide passageways and improve the village layout, hell, even add more storehouses to ease the pressure, because one storehouse almost always leads to a gigantic clusterfuck in bigger villages.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Ah yes my bad, I actually meant the medieval Total War. Also, I like K&M because it's so much like Settlers 2, which I absolutely adore (10th Anniversary Edition represent)

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I never went to assassinate the pope but I would assassinate all the cardinals that were not from my country.

10. Z100000M

D, do you ever stop and think a bit before posting?

I meants skirmishes as in battles you do not build shit, and have to make do with what you are given.

Also, I did just that with the roads, what I was, suprise suprise, bitching about is the ai that is unable to utilise then anyway.

Stop fucking thinking that im a goddam moron.

I always assasinated the pope. That and the cardinals to get fast majority.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

Thanks for reassuring me in that opinion of yours.

To elaborate on the skirmish part, camping is viable alright, but it doesn't get you anywhere. In any of the battles you have to fight all you need to do is position the archers correctly and defend them. Camping? Maybe. But there are way better positions to defend at than in the faraway corner (like middle of the map in map #3)

12. Z100000M

Well, getting into a easily abusable position is exactly what I meant, the corner is actually from the first such map. I do not know how can you even get close to the middle, if a massive axeman/light cav (I do not recall which, but its the same shit minus the horse anyway) hits you 1/3 of the way in. Also, I didnt mention getting more warehouses, simply because adding more than one is just detrimental. If you start with one in a weird place than getting another one is a priority, but with the absurdly small build space you are given on most maps, you just cannot allow to spam them at will. The roads also take a stone to build, so its not like you can build then 2 wide everywhere.
    Also, be mindful of the fact that I played like the first released version. If you played an older, perhaps patched version, then do not apply your logic to my situation

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

The game is from 1998~, with the expansion from 2001, and I'm playing on the newest fan-made Service Release, so MAYYYBE many things are different. Still, I have a big surplus of stone on most maps I build my villages on even after I'm done with expanding. Maybe I also simply make way smaller villages, but people on the forums seem to have it pretty well, so in short I either blame the old version or your architectural abilities.

Also yeah, but that's rather sensible in other games, right? Keep your damage dealers away from harm?