My sleeping hours need help...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jul 12, 2015.

1. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I am now going to sleep beyond 6 AM.

Help me.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Don't go to sleep one day until you actually want to. So instead of going to sleep at 6-7AM, stay awake and be tired as shit until like 10PM or whenever you want to sleep. You'll be so tired you'll sleep then and voila, your sleeping cycle is reset in exchange for one day of discomfort.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

not sitting infront of your computer till bedtime is helping aswell ...

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

5. flasche

also physical activities during the day. ofc not right before you go to bed, a high heart rate and all those neat substances your brain releases aint much help either.

and finally if all that doesnt help, seek medical attention. prolonged sleep problems can cause other health issues.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

To add to that, if you wear glasses, you get a coating that filters out parts of the blue light spectrum. I got rid of flux after getting new glasses.

7. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I have Gunnars myself and they really don't help with my sleep problems because mine are drug-related.

CRITA, you could always buy some melatonin @300 mcg or 1-3 mg. It'll regulate your cycles and you really only have to use it once or twice to get your sleep schedule back.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

At a certain point, just stop playing games and switch to tv shows or something else that'll help you wind down. Set a decent time to go to bed, like 3:30 or similar, and then just don't start watching something else at that point.

Also, leaving computers and electrical equipment on while you're sleeping is really not helpful. Lots of people seem not to understand this and leave it on all the time, then three years later they wonder why they're twitchy, depressed, and can't sleep. Just turn the things off. Life's hard enough without adding crap to the stack.

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

There are all kinds of techniques out there to try, this thread has some good advice already. Another good one is resetting your daily rhythm by getting up at your target wake up time and drinking a bit water and immediately eating breakfast. Provided you haven't eaten in a decent amount of time before that (you can probably find more about this method with a good search, I think all you need is a dinner at a reasonable time like 6PM), your body will quickly get used to the new time.

Also the other way around, sleep problems can be symptoms of all kinds of random crap I believe.

10. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Outathaway, insomnia expert/sufferer coming through.

In no order:

1. Install f.lux. Looks shitty at first but if you put it on slow mode you won't notice it.
    2. Don't don't eat anything or drink caffeine in the 4 hours before you want to sleep.
    3. Use Nytol or some other over the counter drug with diphenhydramine in. Don't overdo it.
    4. Get a fuckton of audiobooks. Listening to audiobooks in the dark makes your brain shut up. White noise generators can help too.
    5. Don't start playing any kind of RPG or multi-round game after 9pm.
    6. Make your bed look as inviting as possible. Make it in the morning and don't pile crap like clothes and plates on it, etc.
    7. If you can, move your PC to a room you don't sleep in. Failing that, go read a book or watch TV for an hour in a different room.
    8. Alcohol and other depressants or sedatives will just give you a shitty night's sleep.
    9. Don't skip breakfast, eat first thing in the morning.
    10. If you don't have trouble sleeping and this is really you just staying on your PC too long then stop being so fucking dumb.

11. flasche

#3 dafuq?

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It's cool he's a professional insomniac

If you live on a normal plot of land (10+ acres) go to a corner no one walks in and dig yourself a hole. Every day go and dig. dig to china. dig till you find oil and become a bajillionaire. You'll be tired then.

13. Space_Oddity

It's an antihistamine that makes you so drowsy that you can't help but go to sleep. The recommended dose is way too small for anyone besides maybe children but if you take too much in one go then you trip nasty nasty balls.

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I just put on an episode of bad anime, and fall asleep in the first 5 minutes.
    If that doesn't work, I give myself a sugar rush and sleep when I crash.

That almost always works.

15. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

We need examples.

16. Space_Oddity

Anime.

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I dunno..
    the last one I used was like an Episode of Working.

You know, those shows where nothing ever happens and is slow.

After observing my dad taking care of his new offspring, my new step brother.
    He said hes conditioning him to sleep in loud environments so he would get more sleep and be less sensitive to loud noises.

When we went to ribfest, Kyleb slept through all the loud music and noises and didn't cry once.
    Then told me he did the same thing to me when I was younger, and then I realized I can't sleep in quiet rooms period, and need background noise.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

dont listen to lawliet that is not how melatonin works and it will not help

lawliet i know you know that melatonin doesnt make you sleepy at all

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

http://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php

Anything from rain and fire to space and dungeons. Also, actual white and pink noise generators. Whatever works.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im saddened by the lack of brown note.