My Nuclear Dick: Now on Steam!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 6, 2010.

  1. spellman23

    spellman23 Member

    Messages:
    861
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Ironically I found Empires via Moddb. =] After I was a NS player.


    I for one hope ND isn't complete fail. Hopefully they've been looking around and noticing how to not fail in the RTS/FPS genre. That being said, it felt much closer to a NS game, just Marine vs Marine. Although the vehicles might be a nice touch. Haven't heard much about vehicles, but since it appears to be set in a tight urban area, I'm guessing the vehicles will play more of a support role instead of the main role they have in Empires.
     
  2. Deiform

    Deiform Member

    Messages:
    2,491
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Why is that ironic? Wouldn't you expect to find Empires on Moddb?
     
  3. spellman23

    spellman23 Member

    Messages:
    861
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Because Empires had (has) piss poor PR on moddb typically.
     
  4. Deiform

    Deiform Member

    Messages:
    2,491
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Haha true.
     
  5. Ikalx

    Ikalx Member

    Messages:
    6,210
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I thought Empires won one of the Moddb awards about 3 years ago...:confused:
     
  6. Grantrithor

    Grantrithor Member

    Messages:
    9,820
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    you can say we are ripping off almost every Id game ever created:
    wolfenstein 3d: first fps
    doom: had different elevations
    quake: had the id tech 2 engine, which is the same engine half life 1 ran on, which means that because of that engine half life 2 was created later on, and because of that empires was made, but if we take a step back empires was originally a battlefield 1942 idea that almost considered farcry.
    commander keen: bunny hopping = pogo stick.
     
  7. Deiform

    Deiform Member

    Messages:
    2,491
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yeah but every review done on Empires gives loads of critical views on how to improve it.
     
  8. ScardyBob

    ScardyBob Member

    Messages:
    3,457
    Likes Received:
    30
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Needs more blimpz!
     
  9. Empty

    Empty Member

    Messages:
    14,912
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    And I bet none got listened to.
     
  10. Dubee

    Dubee Grapehead

    Messages:
    8,636
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I don't think this game will have the magic empires has. I mean we have probably the most rage in any game ever and that is only because of how passionate people are about this game.

    You can't deny that there is something special about this mod that I have never experienced in any games since golden-eye for 64. I also kind of like having small community because that was another reason why 1.8 testing was so great. You get to know people well and get some great friendships and rivalry going.
     
  11. Varbles

    Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

    Messages:
    2,093
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Even more ironically, I found Empires after reading a post by Dawgas on some mod list about Iron Grip: the oppression

    edit: found it :D
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  12. Empty

    Empty Member

    Messages:
    14,912
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    We have a huge community bro.
    One of the biggest mod communties.
     
  13. Dubee

    Dubee Grapehead

    Messages:
    8,636
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I prolly know 75% of the people in every game i play in.. That's not bad to me, but its shows that were a small community.
     
  14. Empty

    Empty Member

    Messages:
    14,912
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    It just seems you do, in reality you probably know 40% of people in a given match and the other 60% is a rather large pool of crap pubbers who don't play often, and fill up the numbers each match.

    Resulting in you knowing 40% of players in a given match, but probably 10% of all players, since the other 90% comes and goes.
     
  15. rampantandroid

    rampantandroid Member

    Messages:
    2,664
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    GC is the lazy way to do memory management. Easy? Sure. It lets people who don't want to, or can't deal with C, with pointers and such not worry about it. But that means you can code constantly running in the background. All the time...to handle memory management, and then JIT code at run time.

    Moreover, calling into C libraries from maneged code? Do you know how expensive a pinvoke can be? A reverse pinvoke is worse yet.
     
  16. MOOtant

    MOOtant Member

    Messages:
    4,047
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    You can say that compilers are the lazy way to do programming. We can write code in assembly language. Look at language shootout and compare C/C++ performance to Haskell.

    And you silently ignored the part about multithreading and shared/auto/smart/magic pointers.

    If you can avoid marshalling the data, invoking C code won't cost much. Especially if you're using GCC as the backend. :)

    Also, WTF is wrong with you. I haven't mentioned JIT even once and you keep repeating it over and over.
     
  17. Empty

    Empty Member

    Messages:
    14,912
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Jesus christ you coders need a subforum.
     
  18. Deiform

    Deiform Member

    Messages:
    2,491
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I hardly know any Americans, they're fun to play against because they don't know me either.

    "Why did you take a heavy with no rear armour! omg noob! oh, he killed the commander..."
     
  19. Empty

    Empty Member

    Messages:
    14,912
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Oh he got stickied by that rubber banding aussie.
     
  20. communism

    communism poof

    Messages:
    4,094
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    merc?
    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page