My ideas (Explained)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by >!JAMOY!<, Jan 27, 2008.

1. >!JAMOY!<

>!JAMOY!< Member

SNIPER ZOOM:

adjustable zoom for snipers because it is annoying when trying
    to hit distant soldiers they could be friendly or foe.
    This is crutial for extreme range shots.

TURRETS:

Turrets must have more damage less range and less accuracy
    because its annoying geting hit by loads of bullets at once.
    1: Unrealistic 2: Stupid sound gets on your nerves.

ENINEER PERSONAL DEFENCE WEAPON:

Engineers should have a Auto glock type PDW so they stand more
    chance in combat when geting atacked by soldiers 32 rounds full
    auto new model.

ARMOUR SELECTION:

Players should be able to select what armour they want because
    some players are skilled and dont need armour but others need armour.
    So there should be a selection wit Heavy armour, Light armour and
    No armour. Heavy armour decreses stamina by 35% light by 15%

ALL WEAPONS HAVE IRONSIGHTS:

This will encourage players to use ironsights other than hip firing
    because in real life you need to aim the gun through the sights.
    Otherwise its hard to hit targets and also higher recoil. i have done
    so before and aiming makes it better.

ROCKET LAUNCHER SCOPES:

Rocket launchers should have scopes because its hard to determine whether
    a tank is friend or foe and hard to get into tight spots. This would be beter
    because i hate thje IMP Rpg because you have this big face sheild that does fuck
    all.

REMOTE DETONATER FOR MINES:

Remote detonaters will work well for demo work on walls and make it an anti tank
    mine only. Make the scout have anti personel mines instead. so grenadier will be
    demoman / grenadier.

ENGINES 50% HARDER TO OVERHEAT:

Im fed up of firing 1 nuke and not being able to move, then im toast. Make engines
    harder to overheat and maek nukes firing time longer then you will have a chance to
    get away.

OVERHEAT WARNING SOUND:

A sound that plays as the heat meter is jsut about to go onto red to warn the driver
    to move before his engine is burnt out so he can cool down and begin firing again.

SCOUT CLOAK MORE INVISIBLE:

The scouts cloak is too visible, maybe a little bit more transclusent will do the trick
    because im fed up of ppl killing me when i am cloaked.

FASTER GRENADIER + ML ROCKETS:

The rockets are too slow modern rockets go about 3 times as fast, the rockets always fuckin
    miss the vehicles. Also they have a fuckin warning when they arnt even fuckin locked on with
    the misile launcher. The way the rockets in emp go is like a fuckin lead cube flying at 1cm
    a year :P.

NEW MELEE ANIMATIONS:

The mele animations are too slow and look like they are trying to give the opponent a massage.
    The animations need to be faster!

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!

2. Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Member

these are nice idea's i got them in my own but i geuss the more it pops up the less people can ignore it and i like the warning sound,faster grenadier and ml rockets and the scout cloke. oh and one last thing power to the people

3. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

i do not dispute any of these points

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!! :)

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

There is only thing here that I havent explained the flaws with in the guy above's thread (http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=4913)

read that first, then make a post in there if you thing it is still valid, don't just make new threads thinking that it will increase the chances of it happening.

The warning sound could potentially be useful, maybe a hissing sound when it happens, but I wouldn't say it's very neccessary.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I think they mean the 3 of them, I mean, they are extensively aknowleged as veterens of empires, and know of the goings on of the forums.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Sniper zoom: the scout rifle is a ranged rifle designed to be used at a reasonable distance, but it is NOT, and this has been said before by developers, a sniper rifle designed to be able to hit all places from one point. if you need to get closer to shoot it, then that is what the game developers intended you to do. If you need to look closer, use your binoculars.

Turrets:

how would you know what type of firing is "more realistic"? There can't be a "more realistic" way for turrets to fire if there are no real turrets for you to base your opinion upon. So lets presume that you actually said "for gameplay purposes". Well, I'm struggling to see any gameplay advances by this, so here's some reasons NOT to change it: turrets are designed to keep people out of an area, thats their gameplay mechanic. it's not to "kill people". by making them less accurate and doing more damage, all you are doing is incorperating an element of chance into the turrets, so instead of being a useful defence, they're now unreliable and can sometimes fail to stop the very few things that they actually can stop. And the less range thing is just a cry that you can't deal with the current turrets. when you have played the game a bit more, you too will be able to deal with them. If you have an alternative sound that you think would suit turrets, people provide it, and we can see if it's more or less irritating and possibly replace the sound.

Overheating warning sound: honestly, there is no need for this. this would be a totally unneccessary irritating sound that provides information already available to all players.

Remote detonations for mines, in that you chuck one down, run away, wait for someone to come past that area and then blow the mine up is probably the worst idea in the entire list. On ordinary maps, I can somewhat see how encoraging players to sit, watching a mine and stupidly detonate it when someone comes past wouldn't harm the gameplay past giving something else stupid for noobies to do. On commanderless maps however, this would totally ruin the flow and way the game is played. people would just chuck mines around the flag, so that the instant anyone finally manages to reach a flag as they do now, the mines can be set off and the whole stalemate can begin again. Instead of guarding passages with guns, which atleast gives the non-camping attackers the chance to shoot back and dodge the bullets, now the idiot camper has a weapon specifically designed for him to . This suggestion would grind non commander maps to a halt.

If you want "C4", or a powerful remote detonation charge, then lay 8 mines in one place, run away, and lay the 9th one. This IS balanced however, as it takes forever to set up the 8 mines, can only be done in one location at a time, you're extreamly velnerable while placing the mines and it stops you using mines elsewhere in the map.

The scout cloak is currently very powerful, if used in the right way. Unlike say, TF2's cloak where you can just run around in circles around the enemy, it does require a bit of tactical thinking. Stay still if the enemy is looking in your direction, use the stealth to help you line up the perfect headshot, and touch more than one wall at a time to get better cloak.

Grenadier rockets can be guided, hold the fire button as you fire. You will be able to hit any vehicle, moving or not with this.

I agree that the melee animations should be sped up.

Don't presume that because you want something, 'the people' want something, because it's just irritating.

7. Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Member

no he means that a turret yea it locks on you but it is very annoying like if you are just going past and you die you'll think stupid turrets gotta get rid of em and yet you die again repeadedly if you do carry on.
    and also i didn't know you could guide grenadier rockets.
    why not have a noise it is better then the bar i never noticed it once and nearly died and also how about lock ons hmmm they are very annoring

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

the turret suggestion is great, gettig hit by a level3 turret is like putting your ear on a shower head :/

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

yes it looks irritating how the big mg turrets shoot at you, there should be more spread and if its just a visual thing, that ray of death look just plain wrong

The nf rocket lauchner got a scope and all weapons got iron sights so remove them or use them, its deam anoying to have models with them and you cant use them cause you soldier is to stupid for :/

10. Kuma

Kuma Member

Firstly, I disagree with your attitude. More like give you what you want instead of the people, sense when did you become our voice? And why the swearing? Saying fuck a lot will not get anything done faster, save auto repair. Alright enough mild flaming from me.

Righto onto the ideas you have posted.

Sniper Scope: Well seeing as how there is no sniper rifle it makes no sense to put a better scope on a non existent gun. Also, Krenzo has said many, many times that there will never be a sniper rifle so take the scout rifle and use it as best you can, he will not be sympathetic to your cause.

Turrets: Sandbag hit it right on the nail with that, they are meant to keep you out of an area, not to kill you.

Engie PDW: Ever heard of an SMG?

Armor Selection: This I agree with fully, there should be a system where you can pick the armor your character wears, and the lighter the armor the faster you move. This will allow for more strategic battles by allowing your character to don what is necessary for the job, like holding down a choke point VS a base builder. One needs speed, the other needs defense.

Iron Sights: It should be refined a little more before implementing it on all the weapons, IE making it a little faster to get to your iron sights and maybe a little more accurate?

Rocket Launcher Scopes: Honestly? It should be easy to tell the tanks apart...they look completely different as well as having different paint schemes....and as sandbag said again, they are guidable.

Remote Det for Mines: For mines, not so much but adding a heavy explosive that the grenadiers could use instead of mines might make the game a little more dynamic.

50% more heat for Engines: Defiantly no. The reason being is that it teaches players balance with their vehicles. If you are tired of the Nuke overheating you and you getting killed, don't use the nuke, or learn how to use it in a way that will give you the distance between you and the enemy.

Overheat Warning: And you think turrets are annoying? Honestly just look down once and a while and if the bar is getting close to full...stop what you are doing....all it requires is that you pay attention to more than one place at a time.

Scout Cloak: The scout cloak is more of a chameleon effect then a bending light around you effect. The scout cloak requires you to think and know how the enemy will react if they think they spotted you. Getting up against a wall makes it harder to detect and if you stand on a cloaked unit, they will become invisible trust me.

Faster Rockets: No arguments here, and from the rockets in 1.07, these are sped up.

Faster Melee: No arguments here.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

My thoughts about buffing the heat:

why don't we instead just make all the weapons fire really slow, as they would be in other games, so that noobie players can't overheat and complain about it. firing at a reasonable is what makes the cannons balanced. On the other hand, perhaps it's good that empires gives you the freedom to choose if you want to fire faster with some penalty. I dunno: listen to the noobies complain or have a tactical game?

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

No. Nothing that makes sniping easier. I don't think it should have any more impact on gameplay than it has now.

Very bad idea. Turrets are weak enough as it is, and there are many ways to deal with them; if anyone could just walk past safely they would be totally, totally useless. The TF2 team explained the logic behind sentry balance, and while our guns are different the same basic idea applies: For the gun to not be useless, it has to be able to effectively defend an area. It is essential that guns be able to kill skilled players; otherwise, they would become pointless in high-end games. But if they can kill skilled players, what happens to unskilled players? They would get obliterated.

The solution is to make MGs into machines with only two states: Either you step into their view and you die, or they don't and you can deal with them easily (grenades/rockets/mortars from out of range, hidden sabotage scout, etc.) I have seen turrets in a lot of games, and the only one where they had a balanced, reliable gameplay impact without being either overpowering or useless was in ones that did them like this... this way, they can guard key areas and serve as important points for the enemy to overcome when attacking, without being too difficult to defeat.

An MG turret should, most of the time, be able to kill any infantry it gets a lock on. And realism is not a factor (although, realistically, a mounted machine gun would be instant 100% inescapable death if it's pointing at you and firing, so I don't know what you're talking about here.) Sound can be changed, but has no gameplay relevence, and you're suggesting a major gameplay change here.

No. Engineers aren't supposed to be powerful combat classes; that's what Riflemen are for. An engineer should be at a substantial disadvantage against a rifleman; why would you argue otherwise? Their advantages come from their other abilities, like their turrets... which you apparently want to nerf?

This is, basically, covered by the health upgrade. Players who need to be able to take more damage can take extra health; others can take extra stamina (or whatever).

I also have no idea what you mean by 'some players are skilled'. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, everyone takes damage eventually. A player who only gets hit 30% of the time a less skilled player does will still live twice as long if they have armor that absorbs 50% damage (or whatever.)

The scout doesn't need more abilities, and certainly doesn't need a fourth grenade type (which is what this would be.) If anything, you'd expect to give antipersonel mines to the Rifleman, wouldn't you? Although I still doubt that they're needed.

I do see one advantage to giving a grenadier a detonator for their existing mines, though: Right now, 9-mining is sort of a 'secret trick' (not terribly secret, it's in the manual, but not obvious to newbies.) It's good for the game's interface to be as clear as possible... for this reason, giving grenadiers a detonator could be good. It would make defusal less powerful, but I'm not sure that that's necessarily a bad thing... one skill shouldn't be able to so totally negate a key factor like mines anyway.

Heat is an important balancing factor for many weapons. Nukes are extremely powerful; you're not supposed to be able to just fire one and then run away. If you want to be able to avoid overheating, use a less heat-generating weapon, or fewer weapons total, or an engine that can move when-- ok, so biodiesel is not a good option and could use an improvement, or a more useful higher-level version. But the other things still apply; heat is supposed to be a tradeoff.

Possibly, a new kind of engine could be created that could handle heat better while being less useless than biodiesel, but still, there should be tradeoffs. Right now, players have the option to 'overclock' their tanks by giving them powerful weapons like nukes or multiples of other powerful heat-generating weapons... or they can use less powerful weapons they can fire more often without the risk of being paralyzed by heat.

What you are suggestion would take this option out, which I think is bad. A player who wants to be able to 'go nova' by firing a lot of high-heat weapons very quickly (or one really hot weapon like a nuke) should be able to do so, while players who choose to focus their tank on handling heat at the cost of weaponry / speed / cost / whatever should be able to do so. Possibly a few new options could be added (a better version of biodiesal, say), but cutting heat across the board is not the answer, and nukes should probably always be balanced by leaving you helpless.

No. See above; scouts are good enough already, and making them too invisible would take all the fun out of sneaking. This is really more of a level problem... I have no problems as a scout on a level with decent cover to sneak through, but too many levels are wide-open plains with no walls to use and no place for a scout to hide. Possibly there could be an alternate mode of stealth the scout could use, but I don't know what it is... I mean, disguising yourself as the enemy team is always popular in other games, say, but I don't know if that would be good for Empires...

The slow speed of rockets is an essential gameplay element to keep them from being too useful against infantry. This absolutely cannot be made realistic; in reality, rockets actually are deadly to infantry, but limited enough in supply (and dangerous enough to anyone nearby) that you're not going to use them. In Empires, neither of those apply... so to keep Grenadiers from being too strong against infantry, rockets have to be slow.

However, possibly researching heat-seeking things should let rockets home in on enemy tanks on their own a bit... maybe if you hold down the button over the tank for long enough, the rocket follows them itself after that.

The suggestions that I didn't reply to I don't feel strongly about one way or the other; I have no objections, but they don't seem vital to me, either.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  13. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Armor Selection: It's an interesting idea. Hmmmmm.....How about infantry armor with the same properties as vehicle armor? Or just having the same branch as composite vehicle armor also have Kevlar infantry armor?

Iron Sights: Oh, God, yes! It's both logical and would improve gameplay, in that those defending against a serious assault are usually not winning, so the added accuracy vs. the assaulting forces will give them a fair edge.

Overheat Warning: When you are trying to deal with incoming missiles and guys with sticky mines, it's easy to miss excess heat. To help prevent overheating, I think that a gentle, low 'bing' as it crosses from green to yellow, a higher-pitched on as it goes to red, and another higher-pitched one as it approaches critical wouldn't be out of line. The sounds don't have to be obnoxious to be heard.

Faster Rockets: The current rocket speed, while it could be a little faster, suits it's purpose for a guided missile fairly well. What I would like to see, however, is a choice in the class menu to select a high-speed, dumb-fire (i.e. unguided) RPG, for those times where your target is stationary, or close enough that guiding it is unnecessary.

14. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

One thing I have to say about overheating, it would add polish (ie we don't need it yet) If overheated vehicles had heat distortion on the barrel

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

If you want a less "hacky" way than the 9mine, go for timed mines, all the demo charge goodness and none of the camping dumbness of remote detonation.

16. Fireball

Fireball Member

Only suggestion I agree with is the infantry armor selection.

We already have a slot "assigned" to it in the load menu, so why not give us some more options? Light armor possibly 15% less protective than the current armor for a 5-10% speed and/or stamina bonus, and heavy armor maybe 10% more health for a 10-15% stamina penalty?

17. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

filler doesnt think quotes are part of the message...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008