Mortar HUD

Discussion in 'Support' started by PreDominance, Jun 12, 2009.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

What are they* used for? Can anyone draw a diaphragm of what they're used for?

Green Aiming Lines.

Thanks!
    Steve.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You were supposed to line up the red diamond that appears over enemies in the mortar's sight to get an approximate angle to aim.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

Why the greenish transparent underlay to it?

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

All I do is top for short-range, mid for mid range, and bottom for longrange. Fine-tuning if I'm not under fire,

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

wutwut

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Its very useful to figure out the distance. But dizzyone made a cooler looking one I think just with mspaint or something but it looked a lot better. I wish they would add it.

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

Know where I can get that one?

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I dunno if he actually added it in game. I think it was just a composite photo, I also think I remember krenzo saying something like that hud thing is (hard?)coded in or something.. Might be harder to change it then you would think.. I dunno for sure but I think that's what was said last time this was brought up.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Am I the only one that thinks it's useless (No offence Krenz).

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yes, you are the only one because they are extremely useful to anyone who knows how to use it. A similar cross hair is used for grenade launchers and other weapons.

11. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't get the green transparent underlay which makes the mortar weird to use in dark maps.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

its night vision hacks

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's actually less noticeable depending on your video card.

(useless information)

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Usually however that is accompanied by a stadiametric or other form of rangefinder and the sights are actually calibrated, they aren't just a bunch of evenly spaced lines.

[​IMG]

You line up an object under the curved line at the bottom left, usually these are calibrated for either 1.5 metres or the approximate height of a person, when it touches the top and bottom lines you read the number at the bottom and that gives you the range, you then pick the correct vertical marker on the crosshairs for that range, or do it by eye depending on how you calibrated the sight.

Crude, but quite effective, at least in theory, the only game I ever actually tried to use it on is operation flashpoint and I don't think they bothered to actually calibrate the sight.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah but they work for me with out a "stadiametric" thing. When I make one shot I know I have to line it up to that same line for it to hit that spot again.

I make it work I dunno it's not like I need test how strong the wind is and all that other crap. But I do know that with out it the mowtar would be really hard to use.

I did some digging.. Its not a sprite like most cross hairs are and this is why.

This is the one dizzy made that I liked but I think its so old its now showing up anymore. Image shack has removed it. :(

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The red diamonds autosize themselves so that you don't have to deal with that rangefinding bullshit. Who wants to measure the length of the vehicle, determine the angle its facing, and then figure out its range and pitch to aim for? Go play a realistic war simulation then.

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

Using scopes in ArmA and ArmA 2, I usually just estimate based on where my sights are zeroed and aim a bit higher or lower based on distance. Within two shots, I can hit on target. I do the same in Empires, more or less.

Also, I'd definitely like an alternative without the transparent green. Is that possible to get rid of that? I'd rather just have the lines.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Krenzo, the last time I played Empires, someone shot me in the head -- and yet here I am, alive, typing on this forum!

I object to this unrealistic portrayal of the way bullets work. I suggest that Empires be changed so that when you die in Empires, you die in real life.

19. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Don't they use 1.7 meters?

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I think I can arrange something just for you :3