Mortar HUD

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Reznov, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

Small suggestion:

You guys know that you have to be crouched to fire your mortar right? How about a change of the HUD to make it visible that you are actually able to fire your mortar or when not?

i.e.:
    You are standing with your mortar as weapon and the HUD (the thing you see when you got your mortar out) is red. When you crouch your HUD turns green showing that you're ready to fire your mortar.

Maybe even add words to the HUD saying "Crouch/Prone" (red) and "Fire" (green) matching the HUD. That could replace that message that pops up everytime you're trying to mortar while standing.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

or... only have the mortar hud show up when your crouching.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

This sounds redundant, the current system is perfect to teach a newb the instant he uses the weapon that you need to crouch, it will just get extremely annoying if you have some big red thing in front of you that flashes colours when you crouch. Plus GUI work, so it would never be implemented.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Some element of changing colour could be useful, but I know Empires code too well to know that something will fuck it up if we do. The idea is good, but the hassle from implementation at this stage isn't worth it for the little advantage. Then again, Beerdude, Jephir or Marcin could show up in this thread and say it's easily done, so who knows. All I know is, I wouldn't want the entire thing changing colour, just a small marker. And to be honest, the more I think about it, it could be annoying if you constantly think it's a person, given that Empires players are like T-rexes, they only see movement.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

no sweet jesus don't change the colour, an actual improvement would be only seeing the hud when you crouch.

you'd still want the crosshair for arty strikes and spotting though.

actually, sorry reznov but this is totally unnecessary

6. Reznov

Reznov Member

So you guys always want to see that text pop up saying "You have to crouch to fire your mortar" everytime you click mouse1 while trying to quickly launch a mortar? I was suggestioning this because this could help make the game look a bit more professional than before and also it would help player that use the mortar differently (i.e. jump, crouch, land, fire) to time their mortars better to not fuck it up.

Idk if this is a real difficult task to program/manage though so I expect nothing out of this suggestion yet. Just trying to find things that feel out of place and replace them with something more familiar. I mean you would expect more advanced HUD for a mortar/rpg kind of weapon in the future now wouldn't you?

I made an example out of the feedback I got...

Original MortarHUD

MortarHUD while standing ("Fire" less visible / p.s. should be less visible but this is just an example)

MortarHUD while crouched/proned ("Fire" more visible)

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Empires: Where it's hard to change a colour in the code.
    Make it red if you try to shoot it while standing and then fades to green ?

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

So I can only aim when im already crouching?

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Do people actually use the HUD to aim mortar shots?

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you don't you are doing it wrong.

11. Reznov

Reznov Member

You don't need it if you're skilled enough to imagine the line those mortars will go.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

i think after awhile its second nature

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

but if you miss, the lines help you correct

ok yea, the popup sucks, but also fuck red lines when you're standing.

maybe it could flash red, when you try to fire? like a quick fade-in flash, not an abrubt colour switch, then a slower fade back to green?

as with a few other subtleties, this could be explained by the manual extracts

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I have no clue how to use the lines. I just always feel it out. HOW DOES IT WORK

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its only a hint, there is no special trick in using the lines ... mortar flys pinpoint accurate, so if you aim at the same spot youll hit the same spot.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The top 2 lines are for hitting things a few metres from you, the bottom line is for hitting far targets, everything in between those lines kind of melts together.

17. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Bad suggestion ... bad ... no colourchanging crosshairs pls and for the love of Empires, basically what mayama said, how are you supposed to aim when theres no crosshair but one is jumping in your face whenever you sit down to shi*, i mean shoot... in that case you might aswell remove all crosshairs, since yeah you don't need any if you have enought skill,
    wasn't your point to make it more newb friendly not to punish newbs, so ...?

18. Reznov

Reznov Member

Do you actually have a positive way of giving feedback? Like ever?

To your first complain, did you actually read previous posts and look up pictures that I posted?

To your second complain, I said if you are SKILLED ENOUGH, which means not FORCED INTO BEING SKILLED. I never said "REMOVE CROSSHAIRS" at any time of this thread.

2 maek it eazier 4 u i summariz dis 4 u so u dun hev 2 doh muech k? <3:

I basicly tried to make mortaring a bit more friendly by giving an indicator (HUD element) to tell the player when the mortar is ready to be fired. This would replace the stupid message you get everytime you fail to fire a mortar. First suggestion of mine was color change but since people are like "EMPIREZ NO COLOR" I suggestioned something more simple (which is btw those pictures that I posted). kthxbb :3

Now fuck off.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Not aslong you can't make good and well-conceived suggestions.
    No, since it wasn't aimed at your post.
    If you gain an advantage when being skilled, it means you have an disadvantage when you're not ... or is there some kind of skillloop in time preventing that in your universe?
    5o s0rr1 4 U, couldn't understand that, could you please write in english?
    Haha. Don't make suggestions if you can't stand criticism, hypocrit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  20. Reznov

Reznov Member

1. Oh sorry, is a simple addition to the HUD to difficult for you to understand it's benefits/disadvantages? I even added pictures for you to make it easier for you. ):

2. Ok, how to criticise a suggestion by just reading a response to a suggestion. Hm...

3. Are you serious...? Do I actually have to tell you that skilled people will always be better than beginners? Did you actually read what I responded to when you replied to my first post? I told Grant you don't have to use the mortar HUD when you are skilled enough which btw is not even close to my suggestion.

4. nuh :3

5. Critism when you only read mayama's response... yup I love that kind of critism.