Mortar AoE

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mashav, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

I was attempting to make the mortar take 2 direct hits to kill a turret, but 3 aoe splash, but could not get it to work. The aoe doing less damage seemed to have a mind of its own.

Against walls, its clear to see that the one that did not get directly hit takes less damage, but when it comes to turrets they all take the same amount, regardless of the distance of the explosion.

They also take the full amount, not reduced at all, so its not as if the one that got hit accidentally took the splash amount.

Is this just a bug, or is it supposed to work this way?

2. Demented

Demented Member

It's probably supposed to work that way, since it's been that way forever. Grenades are the same; 3 hits always. Works on buildings too.

3. Drag

Drag Member

During one of 1.08 rcs (which later became 2.0) I remember krenzo changing the effect of seismic grenades.

Before: Seismic grenades did less damage if the explosion is farther away from the building. Which was shit since it could sometimes take a lot more grenades to kill a building than intended.

After: Seismic grenades do 100% damage aslong as the building is in the radius of the explosion.

Now I suppose this could be the case for mortar/anything versus buildings too.

4. Mashav

Mashav Member

I think there's just a bug or something.

I went and did some more testing and I was able to get the mortar splash against turrets to do less damage, but it really does seem to be random. Even when I put 4 turrets together to make a square, then fired at 2 separate turrets, 3 had the same health, and one had slightly more.

Seismics are very easy to test with this though. Just go to Arid, and drop a seismic on one turret of the turret pairs. The one you dropped it on will have taken more damage.

Maybe this is something similar to the walls less then 68% built taking no damage unless its direct or right above...

5. o_O

o_O Member

I always wondered why shooting 1 turret on cyclopean would kill the one next to it just as fast. I guess it could be a feature. seismics usually never land ON a building, it would take forever to kill stuff if they only did ~25% damage because they were near the building instead of on it. yet upping the damage to compensate would make them insane for people that can aim them.